Old mitchell reels

All,

Either these aren't the same reels as you have in the UK or Americans don't collect them (??????)

Mitchell 300A Old fishing reel FRANCE

$0.99

VINTAGE MITCHELL 308A SPINNING REEL (FRANCE) WORKS GOOD

$15.99

PRE GARCIA MITCHELL 300? REEL WITH EXTRA SPOOL (USED) MADE IN FRANCE

$10.00

Martin,below is a Mitchell "spincast" reel. Is this the one called a "casting" reel in the UK?

Vintage Fishing Reels Garcia Mitchell 306 High Speed Antique Spinning Reels

Phone
PARTS ARE A DIME A DOZEN ON EBAY (U.S.)
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They were good "in the day" but compared to most intrepids they were far superior . I have a boxful of Mitchells not worth selling on but dont collect them as such ,some are highly sought after b

Here’s a few of the reels that I used to use back in the 1970s and 1980s which I still keep in the back of a drawer (although the Intrepid envoy was from back in the early 1960s) I still ve

Great pic Keith :). I thought the abu blew the mitchells out the water. i've seen those huge mitchell sea reels Martin, as you say they do look like a 300 on steroids lol. I think most peopl

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Martin56 said:

Twas really an easy decision to let them go, I've all the reels I need to see me out.

Nice to see them go to a good home & for them to be used again in anger. :fishing:

I can tell from meeting him, Andy will look after them for me.

Especially the 300 with all the paint chips Andy - that one was my late Dad's , the best thing is the knowledge it'll be used again. That'll celebrate his life just right!!

Enjoy with my pleasure Bud'.

Fixed Spools were at first called "Casting Reels".

I remember them as that when they first started to gain popularity. 

Do you remember rod rests being called idle backs?

If all else fails, follow the intructions.
3 hours ago, Phone said:

All,

Either these aren't the same reels as you have in the UK or Americans don't collect them (??????)

$0.99

$15.99

$10.00

Martin,below is a Mitchell "spincast" reel. Is this the one called a "casting" reel in the UK?

Phone

They're the ones. Although the top one at 0.99 is the type I use the most for general non centrepin fishing. 

Made to last, simple to service, and reliable. Never had one lock up on me under pressure. 

Really struggling to downsize image enough to upload here.

20200113_065616.jpg

Edited by Cameraman
  • Like 1
If all else fails, follow the intructions.
7 hours ago, Phone said:

All,

$0.99

$15.99

$10.00

Phone

Never used open auctions as a guide use sold listings and then remember if two bidders really really want a reel the price will be far above another one the next day bid on by the loser if hes alone

Rhttps://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mitchell+300a&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

And collectors are not after run of the mill versions going cheap they want boxed ones in mint conditions ,the only time they buy poor condition reels is the time they are so rare you grab one to tick a box then hope you can get a better one later or prototypes or limited run reels that worth grabbing at any cost or condition

As to the name we call them "reels" or if pushed fixed spool reels ,we dont call a cat a tiger to give the impression its different from what it is lol

I have a couple of hundred intrepids that are worthless so not sold on but kept for parts or bought as part of a bundle just to get a particular one i want

As to americans not collecting them (wink)

https://mitchellreels.ourboard.org/about.html

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All 

Obviously I know NOTHING 😋

My post was with the thought Cameraman could get his gizzmo in this manner

Phone

• Haha 1

Phone, any reel with a wire Bale arm (AKA line pickup in the posher echelons) was colloquially called a casting reel especially oop North when they first become popular & affordable!!.

I believe they're still called Egg Beaters in Oz.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

17 hours ago, Cameraman said:

I remember them as that when they first started to gain popularity. 

Do you remember rod rests being called idle backs?

Yes I do & we still have a few of those at work except the word "backs" has another word in its place Lol.

Edited by Martin56
  • Haha 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!