DAIWA line loader

wotnobivvy

Has anyone used one of these and with what results

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I've been threatening to get one for years, still keep looking at em.

They do look handy.  If you take the plunge and splash out on one let me know how you like it :).

Edited by Tigger

Have had one for a while, not used it a lot though, TBH. Biggest single issue is that the suction pads are useless for any practical purpose - I removed them, drilled through and then screwed the contraption down into plugs in a large brick (on the bottom of which I put a rubber sheet, for grip, and to avoid damage to the table top. NOW, it's sits still in use, which makes a big difference. The mechanism that holds your spool is a bit agricultural - if you can get the tension right, it works well enough, but its a fine line between being too tight / loose, and letting line off smoothly under tension (assuming the spool is rotating in use. Lock it down tighter, and it works perfectly OK, holding the line spool stationary as you take line off the end of the spool (though noy under any tension)

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

That looks nifty Ken.

I know mikench who posts on here from time to time got himself a line loader.  I forget the name of it now but it was similar in looks to the butt end of a rod.  It had a reel seat like a normal rod and the spool of line was attatched to the end.  It looked very good and well worth checking out if your thinking of getting a line loader.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got one like in Ken's 1st Link.

There's one here very like the one in Ken's 2nd Link, but this one shows how its done.

Quite a bit dearer though at $40. An Interesting watch all the same & well worth 15 minutes of your time!!

Could even be the same one, but Ken's looks 3 x cheaper??

Edited by Martin56
A few links joined since

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Blimey ,i just chuck the spool in a bucket and just use the reel with the line running through a towel between my knees to keep it taught i then drop the filled spool in hot to the touch (not scalding) water and let it cool so the line doesnt spring out if i wound it the opposite to what it was on the bulk spool.

Once fishing i chuck on a 1 ounce weight cast as far as i can and reel back in ,sorted!

That is what i did do the line i am still using has been on since the 80's i think its in the dark on a closed face and i wound 5 spools lol ! Any breakages are usualy right at the hook so i blame my knot

I thought at first the line may degrade so i used a dooda that records breakage of such things and used a bit from a box of 4 25yard (shows its age!) Pescalon spools From probably the early 50's all broke above the stated breaking strain as did a couple of spools i found from the late 60's ,hopefully the quality has improved the newer it is!

Its amazing to think 25 yard spools were probably all centerpins carried back then so much for fishing the opposite bank 50 yards away!

I know even fixed spools had backing as the spools were narrow and deep ,i remember as a kid getting down to the knitting wool i used to bulk it out lol Some high end reelscame with plastic or cork packing pieces but the practice appeared to end by the 60's i presume line was cheap or made in longer spools ..even then you didnt chuck old line at the end of the season you would wind your used spool onto a new spool so the unused end became the next years line ,you made up the difference in lost line by tying new line string or wool to the end going on the spool first

Hooks were bought singly or in mixed packs if you couldnt afford ready mades ,i was sad when my last ready made on kroic? Line (gold plated hooks) snapped you could catch fish without bait they glittered so much in the water.

Unlike now everywhere sold tackle there was at least 5 tackle shops in bromley in the 60's and some duel purpose shops that had a tackle section by the 70's even marks and sparks had some tackle woolies had a great section with above average gear at a affordable price ,now even the creel in aldershop has gone ,while online purchases are the norm chatting to an ebay seller isnt the same they know less about fishing than you do ,they just buy it and flog it on!!!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson