Crucians - float or ledger?

I've caught very few crucians, but always assumed that the way to catch them is on the float. But I also know that in recent years specimen hunters have used bolt rigs, obviously involving ledger. But what about an ordinary but very sensitive ledger, without the bolt rig? How di you catch them, specially if you do so at night?

john clarke

I like using a short length of peacock quill and float legering.  I attatch the quill via a single rubber so it can be slid up or down the line as and when I want to.  I add a small swivel and clip to attatch the small bomb and use either a leger stop or more often than not add a split shot on my line to create the desired length of my hooklength....although I fish straight through so it isn't what you might reguard as being a hook length. If you havent got the set up perfect so your quill cocks when you've cast out, maybe due to an uneaven botom, simply wind in until it cocks.  It's a very simple and sensitive method.

Another good set up is the lift method, again, a short length of peacock quill fixed via a rubber is fine.  Use a single shot which will sink the quill and slide the quill up the line until it pops up the amount you want showing.  Sometimes the quill will lift up and maybe even fall flat, or it will just be pulled under when a fish obliges.  

• Like 1

A lot of big crus are caught on small method feeders - but I still MUCH prefer getting them on the float - will often lift method for them - I place a dust shot 2-3 inches from the hook then mold a small piece of plasticine - just enough to sink a small quill - and has Tigger has said its a very sensitive method!

• Like 1

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Thanks both of you. I've never used lift method with any seriousness, but after my forthcoming cataract operation it will hopefully become viable for me. But Chris, I know you fish for crucians at night. What method do you use? Do you have a lighted up float or use  (method?) feeder?

And out of interest, what's the logic for using method feeder for crucians?

Edited by The Flying Tench

john clarke

Both work for brown goldfish ,i prefer floats but then i always floatfish except if after carp .I bought a bargain pack of feeders from gerry's of wimbledon err a few years ago and still havnt used one

I once watched a pair of angler down the pond have continual fish on method and cage feeders they were casting to a couple of groundbait places and as soon as they sat back down the fish were on ,never seen so many in such short time ,the water was actually 'boiling' and you could see the fish were going crazy on red maggot .Nothing special about the groundbait hemp and aniseed by the look and smell of it  .He did tell me what it was called but i rarely use groundbait so instantly forgot lol

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

During the night I’ve caught crucians using a smallish float with a beta light fixed onto the top of it.
I usually prefer catching them on the float using the lift method as they can often give very small indications which can sometimes be missed on normally shotted wagglers.

I’ve also had them in the past using a swingtip with a small beta light attached to the end of it; and movements on the swingtip were quite dramatic and pronounced because the fish could move off with very little resistance unlike when you are using a Quivertip; however you need to be very careful that the line doesn’t get wrapped around the beta light when you have any slack line.

keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

John - same as Keith - float with a betalite in the tip - nothing quite beats it at night watching the tip lift and lay flat. (BTW - I've found getting red ones is easier on the eyesI) 've found on fisheries such as Marsh Farm that sees a lot of anglers during the day - they will come in VERY close at night - to mop up discarded bait no doubt. I sit well back and fish VERY tight to the margins often in not much more than 18inches of water.....

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I find the glow lights you get on ebay much better than the drennan starlights.  They are thicker and much brighter. Best night floats I ever used where battery operated ones which had a red light.  The ones I used were bodied wagglers with a long and very slim stem/tip.  They had a tube shaped battery which fitted snugly into the body which seperated to remove the battery after use, or replace with a new one. The batteries lasted for many sessions wearing out.

I have seen similar floats available on ebay but they have thick stems and look crude in comparison to the ones I used many years ago.

It's not a method i've purposly targetted crucians with as there isn't any waters round my area (that I know of) that has  any amount of crucians present, but it is my favourite method to fish for tench on one water in particular.

Re: beta light colours:

If the green; or even the red ones; are causing you to see double whenever you are staring at them because of their brightness; if you can get hold of them I find that the ‘Blue’ betalights are even less bright on your eyes than the red and the green ones, and they’re a lot less liable to cause you to see double when you are staring at them. Although I myself prefer either the red or the green ones as they stand out a tad more; especially when you are almost dropping off in the middle of the night.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

True Crucians are always a bone of contention, have to admit I don't fully get it but I believe it's down to the scale count. Nevertheless one of those seemingly  "Bars of Butter" counts for Me!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!