Burbot

Chris Plumb

11 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

Should read "l fished with John l'anson ".   Bloody spell'checkers meddling again

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

On 9/14/2022 at 9:11 PM, Vagabond said:

It would not surprise me if that has already happened and failed.  Many years ago I fished with John liaison in a water near Chatteris allleged to be the last stronghold of burbot.  Three of us fished a long weekend of 72 hours tried everything - worms maggots,minnows,anchovies,meat,  in deep holes, deep runs,undercut banks, open water etc.  Every method and style we could think of - all we got was perch bream and multitudes of eels - bootlace eels, snake size eels, and a few rodbenders

We had a long discussion about the presence of Burbot I n Scandinavia, Eastern⁰I Europe and Canada compared with their demise here.   Restocking is easy - claiming "success" is easy - fish take a long time to die.  Providing conditions in which fish will breed and become self sustaining is something else.

Fishing rivers is all well and good, but their preferred habitat seems to be deep, cold lakes.

They could be living and breeding in any number of waters for years before anyone figures out that they are there.

Of course, E-DNA studies would find them, but who's doing the studies to look for burbot?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

21 hours ago, Ken L said:

Fishing rivers is all well and good, but their preferred habitat seems to be deep, cold lakes.

They could be living and breeding in any number of waters for years before anyone figures out that they are there.

Of course, E-DNA studies would find them, but who's doing the studies to look for burbot?

True Ken, but the deep,slow rivers of East Anglia is where they WERE caught in the past.  AFAIK there has never been a report of burbot from any "deep cold lake" in the Briitish Isles - do you (or anyone else) know otherwise ?

RNLI Governor

1 hour ago, Vagabond said:

True Ken, but the deep,slow rivers of East Anglia is where they WERE caught in the past.  AFAIK there has never been a report of burbot from any "deep cold lake" in the Briitish Isles - do you (or anyone else) know otherwise ?

No, I think you're right. Like barbel, they were a remnant species from our ice age links to the European mainland and therefore limited to east flowing rivers. They never made it to our glacial lakes - although those lakes would have been a logical location for any dodgy introductions.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2022 at 6:23 AM, Martin56 said:

Lost Flood Plains??

They are on the 6 o'clock News every time we get heavy rain!! Lost or struggling businesses through flooding would say "Sod the Burbot". (No offence) mind) Also any future Flood defences could again spell their demise should they be re-introduced!!

One thing I notice when I see pictures of English countryside under water is that that to a great extent the flooded areas are old flood plains.  When I look further into the picture, I notice that in many cases, on the piece of high ground above water stands a church of perhaps hundreds of years old.  It seems that in those days, they knew about the flood plains that are so often ignored these days.

• Like 2

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Its all about money ,bungs for the councils and inflated costs of houses ,a new small estate went to planning at the far end of Farnham ,everyone knew that area flooded ,the Herald showed pictures of it flooded .The council gave permission guess what? It floods !

For clod the clue lies in the words FLOOD plain!  You know that nice flat ground that hundreds of thousands of houses sit on next to rivers! Mostly this time of the year with piles of settees and washing machines and wet carpets in the road outside! such things occurr ofcourse miles from rivers thats called illegal tipping but theres still money involved .

As to the churches its not so much flooding but nearer my god than thee and power! 😉 Most churches of age were put on far earlier buildings as a form of dominance and power so height vs flood predates the church by millenia

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2022 at 2:06 AM, chevin said:

One thing I notice when I see pictures of English countryside under water is that that to a great extent the flooded areas are old flood plains.  When I look further into the picture, I notice that in many cases, on the piece of high ground above water stands a church of perhaps hundreds of years old.  It seems that in those days, they knew about the flood plains that are so often ignored these days.

Very true. I don't understand how those  who build on flood plains (and the politicians who grant them permission) can  sleep at nights.  Our family building business only builds on  brownfield sites free from flood history. 

BTW I assume you are a different Chevin than the one from WA who used to post on here , or you would have asked if I still put lugworm on my top hook!

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

• 1 month later...

The burbot's stronghold used to be the Yorkshire Ouse system, the Trent and as said, the East Anglian systems where they were so numerous that they were fed to pigs. There are questions as to why they were not found in the Thames as historically that was part of the Rhine system along with the above named systems. Strange also that the early English writers did not mention them. 

There was a scheme around 20 or so years ago to reintroduce them to the Trent using stock from central Europe. The authorities declined to issue a licence for the restocking on the basis that the reason for their sudden decline has not been discovered or addressed. The last burbot to be caught was reputed to be in a Yorkshire river and in the 1920s they featured in match anglers catches on the Ouse at York. Forty years later they had gone. 

Regards, Clive