Burbot

Chris Plumb

Very interesting and promising for the future, especially if we can restore some of our lost flood plains which will help with their re-introductions through spawning.

• Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

1 hour ago, BoldBear said:

Very interesting and promising for the future, especially if we can restore some of our lost flood plains which will help with their re-introductions through spawning.

Lost Flood Plains??

They are on the 6 o'clock News every time we get heavy rain!! Lost or struggling businesses through flooding would say "Sod the Burbot". (No offence) mind) Also any future Flood defences could again spell their demise should they be re-introduced!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

You have more chance catching turbot than burbot round here and we have hundreds of acres of flood plains !

The council allowed a small estate to be built at the top of farnham ,everyone said it flooded but it went ahead ,first bit of rain and all their carpets float out the back door! Kingfisher road is a clue to the unwary now they live in your pantry! I remember one year it flooded and the local cop was standing by the pub at the edge of the flood ,i went over the bridge in the landy and cleverly sent a small wave straight over the top of his wellies ,he was not amused but no arrests for ABH were made he was a village cop not one of these modern bits of nonsense out to arrest everyone for the slightest reason as they drive about looking for speeding infringements ignoring real crime .He still remembers it he lives a few doors away in retirement as far as the filth goes he was ok .Its been close the last few years but no floods and my daughter in laws horse hasnt been eating a liquid lunch yet unfortunately our bus route goes through many flood areas another reason not to live in a low lying area !

Edited by chesters1
  • Haha 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

Bring it on.

To be honest, I'm amazed they haven't found their way back in the back of a van already.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/4/2022 at 10:33 PM, Ken L said:

Bring it on.

To be honest, I'm amazed they haven't found their way back in the back of a van already.

It would not surprise me if that has already happened and failed.  Many years ago I fished with John liaison in a water near Chatteris allleged to be the last stronghold of burbot.  Three of us fished a long weekend of 72 hours tried everything - worms maggots,minnows,anchovies,meat,  in deep holes, deep runs,undercut banks, open water etc.  Every method and style we could think of - all we got was perch bream and multitudes of eels - bootlace eels, snake size eels, and a few rodbenders

We had a long discussion about the presence of Burbot I n Scandinavia, Eastern⁰I Europe and Canada compared with their demise here.   Restocking is easy - claiming "success" is easy - fish take a long time to die.  Providing conditions in which fish will breed and become self sustaining is something else.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...