Fishing brollies

The Flying Tench

I bought a cheap one years ago, but I could never get the thick spike into the ground and in the end I binned it. But today I saw a guy with a brolly on very hard ground (gravel and wooden fishing platform) and wondered how on earth he had fixed it. I wandered over and it turned out he had a relatively sit-up kind of chair, and he had tied the brolly with cord to the chair. It looked precarious, but all credit to him it worked!

Do you have a brolly, and if so do you have any problems setting it up?

john clarke

I have a Preston Offbox Brolly Adaptor (which fits the leg of my box)

However I don't take the Fishing Box any more - Just the Fishing Chair, so I've used a few strong, long & thick Cable Ties to attach it to the back leg Rail (in my case left side to also cover my Bait Tray) with the Brolly Arm Tube sticking out a bit so it doesn't interfere with the reclining chair backrest. It stays on all the time now as the chair folds up with it on. Nothing spoilt - I can simply cut the ties off, should I want it back on the box anytime.

You'll see that the Brolly tube is hollow so you can also have it driven into the ground or just held in the tube with the 2 knobs. I also tie my brolly to the upper part of the chair backrest for that Belt & Braces feeling!!

I've Removed the Link, as I've noticed my name is on it!!

You'll just have to Google it yourself (Preston Offbox 36 Mega Brolly Arm)

Mine's the Longer Arm one so can get a good few Cable Ties on!!

Edited by Martin56
added info'
  • Like 2

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I don’t use a fishing brolly very much these days and I much prefer to wear waterproofs instead of hunkering under a brolly; however I do own two 50” brollies and a smaller 45” one; and to make them easier to use on hard banks I bought some solid brolly poles which have screw threaded points and are quite light which replace the normal pointed shafts of my normal brollies. I now just screw the pointed ‘screw end’ into the ground (with the help of a small removable bar which comes with the threaded pole) which is a lot easier to do than pushing in a standard brollie point into hard ground and also a lot quieter and less fish scaring than using a noisy mallet.

I also have a brollie gadget on my match box which I can fix my smaller brollie into and which I occasionally use if I am fishing in a match (which isn’t very often these days).

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I have a hat!

If it's too sunny or too wet for that, I go home.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

If its to sunny or wet i dont go ,i did all the mad stuff in my youth but i especially hate packing up wet then the bother of unpacking it all to dry it out later. Luckily the canvas brolley is a thing of the past they rotted very quickly even slightly moist but i have found modern webbing and bags do get black mould unlike canvas its not mould within it  but on it ,my flask bags made with polyester 600d came out a shed heavily spotted this spring so they were dunked in milton to kill the mould but the stain remains .

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Keith, My Box is also a Matchbox & the Brolly Arm fits that. 

The Leg receiving holes are 25 mm Splined & fit over the Leg like a Ring Spanner, so can have it in any rotational position.

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Yes Ant, I also have a Ground Spike, 3 pronged. Trouble was, the other club members would moan about me hammering it in & spooking the fish. (So I hit it even harder lol)

• Haha 1

I remember my first fishing brolly ,it had a clamp that gripped the upper pole and the one that went in the ground (it was a bit of galvanized steel with a butterfly nut that pulled it tight each end .) got to my peg all excited with the rain just starting and naively beat the pole into the ground with a hammer .

Doh! The dowl had mushroomed out and it refused to squeeze back into the clamp ,no matter of wriggling would get it to go in and the end of the screw was welded into the clamp and mushroomed out to stop the nut being lost so i couldnt open the clamp wide enough  ,i had a rather uncomfortable night holding it over my head then giving up and trying to lie under it for the rest it was only about 3ft across and being canvas the heaviest rain came straight through as a fine mist 😢

• Haha 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson