Wet Maggots from the Fridge!!

Martin56

So, whenever I put my maggots in the fridge, they always come out wet & foamy.

The tackle shop fridges however manage to keep them nice & dry.

Answers on on a postcard please!!

PS - I keep my bait fridge on the highest setting (No 5) - maybe I should set it Lower??

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Do you have the lid on? I keep mine in a large bucket in the fridge - with the lid off so they don't sweat. Providing they stay dry - and I have them on a very cold setting too - to keep them torpid - they won't climb up the sides....

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

The colder the better - and put a couple of paper towels in the box.

I've kept them alive for more than a month that way, with just an occasional change of the paper towels - although admittedly, they were pretty small at the end of it, and turned to casters very quickly once warmed up.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Thanks for those very useful tips boys, I've also added a handful of 4 mm pellets to absorb any unwanted moisture!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

As has been said, you need to put a thin'ish layer of maggots in your tubs and keep the lids off.

You can add maize as they do in the tackle shops to soak up mosture.  I just use shavings or sawdust because I always have it available and it works a treat!  

I have had moisture form iin the fridge and it drip off the top into the maggots when i've had too many maggots in the fridge, the fridge outlet may have been a bit blocked also 🙄.

Because of that, if I walk past the fridge I often open the door and waft it open and shut a couple of times to change the air in it and remove moisture.

I keep the maggs as cool as possible without killing them, cold enough so as they are just moving a little bit and they last for weeks.  They do start to shrink though after a while.

• Thanks 1

I just change the sawdust a few times .

I am a tight bastard I take a handful when I go out (I generally use bread for everything) and any unused go back in. I have always wondered the tales of adventure the returned ones tell to the sleepy ones that remained before they doze off 🤔

• Haha 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Best way imo is to store in plastic bags after cleaning with maize. Ensure  the air is removed , seal and every 48 hours or so unseal and reseal allowing stale air to escape. Maggots will appear to be dead but will come alive when required. 

• Thanks 1