Possible answer to deep hooking

poledark

Ah I see said the blind man!

Its the bloomin Auto Censor! I was about to go of on one saying about Mods using commonsense and looking to see what context a word was used in before "Censoring" it but fortunately the subject of the Auto Censor was raised! The whole Auto Censor thing is a strange one though.I see the reasons behind protecting the site from litigation I also see the sense in not wishing to cause offence. That said it still kind of bemuses me that we ban certain words which may be used in either a perfectly acceptable way or not but still allow some really racist/offensive topics! for example there just maybe some perfectly law (fishing wise) abiding people of Eastern European descent who see the constant tarring of all non Brits (especially from their home areas) as fish killers/stealers/licence dodgers? And the same for many other things as well. I know of only two people from Romany descent who use this site and struggle to believe they would have a problem with the word in discussion being used in a fishing context and also would have thought they would accept the fact that if it was used in the non fishing context it would be ok if it was just "manually cencored" by a Mod?

Poach,thanks for your PM as well.

Any way back to far more interesting and relevant stuff!

AndyY I would be interested (because Im interested in anyones thoughts and opinions (even if I do occaisionally use the word ***** (!) to describe them due to my lack of thought!) in what you thought of my stance on the instant stike situation?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Budgie dont think i said to strike instantly think i said early anyway i just think if a BEGINNER hooks the bait in the head then there is more room for mistakes with less chance of the pike in tis case bing deephooked if they were doing this then i reckon they couldd strike the rod whenever they want im not saying hear the alarm put kettle on light a smoke then strike just they will have more time to learn when to strike and get a feel for the fishing whether that be 10 seconds or 30 seconds just think im givin the pike more of a chance whilst the beginner learns when to strike which comes through experience.

It would also be the easiest thing to get across to all pike anglers i.e the diagram on back of baitpacks.

poledarks trace in other hand will need to be tested tried by other anglers ok so that done great it works only prob is only people readin this forum (which i believe to be small percentage compared to people buyin bait for the first time week in week out) gona know about it not yer average joe takin up pikin for the first time.

i dont understand why u dont see this makes sense and would be very easy n uncostly to promote.

Peace

Andy

Alos if u think bait presentation is important some do some dont i do though prob just a confidence thing. If ye hook it in the head then put a bit of balsa wood in through its arse tied to first treble with a bit of pro-leader the popped up bait gona sit in water with its head facing the bed like a feedin fish sure it gona be upside down but ye cant have everythin. Also before pushin in balsa it better to clear an openin with w suitable sized drill bit thus avoiding just pushing insides of fish about which normaly results in the stomach bursting.

Just for the record, the caudal peduncle (note spelling) is the bit of a fish the tail (caudal fin) grows out of.

Anyway, as far as the use of 'that' term goes, as a Romani I find it grossly offensive but only when used in its offensive context. Seriously, I've had more rucks and rows over that word than over any other subject, but it's the intent and the ignorance of its users that offends, not the word itself. When used in the piking context, I can't see even the most sensitive of my lot taking offence.

That said, Elton's spot-on with his last post and the Mods (who do a tremendous job on here) are in a no-win situation. If it would help restore balance, perhaps removing the word from the auto-sensor might be worth trying. Just a suggestion - please feel free to ignore it. ;)

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Poldark

I have always enjoyed your train of thought, your mind always seems to be ticking in a 'I wonder if this can be made/used better' mode.

One other way to assist the deep hooking problems is to ensure you use a bait with a 'head' and ensure the first ( lower ) hook ( the one on the right in your drawing ) is no less than half way down the bait. I have to agree a missed Pike is better than a deep hooked Pike. Or, just to use one extra large single. I have not been out Piking yet this winter but hope, family permitting, to put that right next weekend. A friend ( Den you know Christian ) did a few night Carp sessions last week and reported Roach etc being hearded by Pike at a local water.

Andrew Boyd

Back by popular demand, we give you Pikey which will be a perfectly spiffy term if used when speaking of a section of water or a lure or a bait or any other fishing related thing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sniff!....why....why it's like Christmas come early or something. I really love you guys.... ;)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

:fishing:

:bye1: :bye1:

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President