Possible answer to deep hooking

poledark

What on earth is a pedunckle?

Pedunckle is a non-word but will be substituted whenever someone types in the word that some use as an insulting term for Travelers/Gypsies.

It is tough on folks discussing pike fishing and areas that look good for holding pike but was the only way we could stop the insulting uses.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pedunckle is a non-word but will be substituted whenever someone types in the word that some use as an insulting term for Travelers/Gypsies.

It is tough on folks discussing pike fishing and areas that look good for holding pike but was the only way we could stop the insulting uses.

Newt, do I read this right... you are editing out the correct and proper use of the word pedunkle because it may be misconstrued by some to be a reference to something other than the fish?

Wouldn't that be a little over-egging of the pudding, surely no person of that particular persuasion could possibly mis-interpret the meaning in the context which it was displayed, or am I mis-guided in crediting them with a modicum of intelligence ?

In case it isn't clear, I find pc irritating and far too intrusive, anyone who would take offence should go get a life.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Snotty - you do read it correctly.

Since the term is a serious racial slur when applied to Travelers and since several of our long-time and respected members were very offended, I made the change.

Certainly when it is used in a pike fishing context the meaning is clear but we have no way to insure that and the abuses were absolutely intentional.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, I knew very well why the word pedunkle was substituted :) I just never expected it in the post I made.

I must be honest here and say the same as Snotty (also a derogiratery term).

If anyone doesn't like my use of the word pedunkle when describing a pedunkle looking swim, then they really should examine there lives in great detail.

Nothing personal Newt, actually I feel sorry that you have had to take such measures to "protect" these people from the wider populace and the legitimate use of a perfectly proper descriptive word.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Snotty - you do read it correctly.

Since the term is a serious racial slur when applied to Travelers and since several of our long-time and respected members were very offended, I made the change.

Certainly when it is used in a pike fishing context the meaning is clear but we have no way to insure that and the abuses were absolutely intentional.

Sorry Newt as you say in your own explanation... when applied to... but it VERY definitely isn't applied to, in the post in question. I respect your position as moderator and decision to remove my second modified post which was cheeky of me :rolleyes: though I do feel it is sad if we need this level of pc because a few members feel offended even when a perfectly good word is used in its correct context.

My wife has endured many years of uncomfortable moments because her name just happens to have been commandeered by people of a particular sexual leaning, to describe themselves and their way of life. The word is now in general usage and she has found people go to lengths to try to avoid using it and will refer to her by similar names changing perhaps one letter deliberately to F or K or adding a 'NOR' to the end...

Maybe we need a campaign to reclaim our language, I'm not exactly including you in this ''we'' Newt as you don't really speak our language anyway do you? :D

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

It wasn't a decision Newt made by himself, it was decided on by all us moderators after receiving complaints from members of this forum about a certain word. There are a small number of other words that have been edited out.

Btw Newt - Peduncle isn't a 'none-word', it actually means a plant stalk bearing a solitary flower or a cluster of flowers B)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Removed myself....just for peace sake.... :angry:

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Thanks for PM Andy much apreciated :)

Mods, and this is addressed to you all, I take very strong exception to a perfectly correct word that I have used in my posts being edited out. It is not offensive any more than the word queer is offensive when used in the correct place.

And since when has the correct place been decided on by a tiny minority (very tiny)? It just makes the whole thing a joke, and a pretty poor one at that..

No doubt these objectors are having a chuckle right now "put one over on them didn't we" but perhaps we should all be asking ourselves just why the term ever became an insult in the first place.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

The trouble with double-meaning words, Den, is that we can't predict in what sense it's going to be used next. Just like the term for an illegitimate person, which can be used quite, well, legitimately in English. Therefore, we have to err on the side of caution and the auto-censor replaces words that are deemed possibly inappropriate and/or likely to land me in trouble with the authorities. It's a pain in the backside, as it means, as is often the case, that decent people get 'penalised' because of a few that cause trouble. However, inciting racial hatred is a serious crime in the UK and I've been 'made aware' of that fact in the past. I also know of another website owner who has had similar trouble.

The word in question here is a serious insult to a Romany. It's the equivalent of the 'N' word to a black guy and the only reason we censored it, quite some time ago, on this board is that it was used a number of times in that regard. At the time, its use certainly had nothing to do with pike fishing!

Perhaps it would be better if we changed the word that replaces it, which ISTR one of the moderators did as a joke at the time, with something that has the same meaning, but avoids this. I don't know, 'pikesque' or something (it's 3am and I've just got back from the airport, so that's the best I can do right now).

With reference to 'minorities' - they do have rights (and feelings), too, both in my mind and in law.

For the record, there are very few words in our censor list and we don't approach the matter gung-ho.

I hope that explains the decision a bit more clearly. Things like this irritate me as much as the next man, if not more. In my utopia, there would be no need for any of this.

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Fair do's Elton, I felt I had to make my point clear though? Again, this is not in any way personal to you or the other mods, but I honestly never gave a thought to the word (here we go again) pedunkle. It is a word I have always used, and will continue to use in the right context.

If I may be allowed to explain how I view the word when used in relation to Travellors (not Gypsies) then it is applied to a particular section who turn up and park on someone elses land, proceed to collect any form of saleable scrap goods , mostly metal, burn off the plastic, make a smell and mess, and then move on leaving a scene of devastation behind them.

I have seen this on numerous occasions over the years, it used to be a common sight around the rural parts of Kent and Surrey. It is because of their activities and behaviour that the word came into use, and was never meant to include the genuine Romany, at least, not by me.

Down here in East Kent,we (the anglers) have a problem with a family of settled travellers who persist in poaching a couple of the lakes, and they are referred to as p~~~~s by everyone. Even though a couple of them actually bought tickets this season (£275 ) they still get referred to in the same terms. Not my fault, simply brought on by their own behaviour.

As for the term used to describe black people, yes it is insulting to ALL blacks, and even though I used to refer to them by using the word, I never used it in an insulting (nasty) way. I have accepted that it is deemed non PC so have stopped using it, and as it has no other use then does not cause a problem. There are several other derogitary words which have been in common use, mostly with racial overtones, that are also gradually fading from normal conversation.

One final point, very relevant I think, one of my sons has married a Chinese girl ( what did HRH call them :) ) another son has had fairly long term relationships with black and Asian girls. I consider myself to fairly enlightened in my attitude to race and colour.

Andy M, did you get my reply to your PM ?

Den