Winfield Tackle.

Peter Waller

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant remember after all these years but i remember it was the 94 to keston (or 92)

p.s i dont forget anything it just gets harder to remember, it may have been the 227 it rigns a bell mind you so does the 410 :rolleyes:

i used to live in south street bromley then croft road at the back of Geof Bucknalls house in burnt ash hill,definatly left from the croft road area too young from south street ,great street though as a kid it had a firestation

[ 15. December 2004, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You lot have all brought back happy memories , as a kid i used to buy books and bits of tackle from good old woolies :) I have some of the books i also have some Leisure books they used to sell as for there tackel I bought my first reel from them.

Thanks for this thread it is a trip down memory lane.

MdgFishing

Keeper Of Maggots & Old Codger to Boot

IPB Image

My Fishy Gallery

Best Wishes & Tight Lines

mdgfishing working digi-darkroom.com

mdgfishing@hotmail.com

'Or the 410 or Greenline..'

My first proper reel was a Mitchel 410. I bought it from my older sister's Freemans catalogue when I was 14yrs old, and paid 52 weekly payments from my paper round wages.

If Woolies didn't have it next stop for me was the catalogues. :-) Funny thing is that nothing arrived looking anything like it's catalogue picture. They must have had some extremely talented 'togs' on the books.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Back on line after a couple of problem days, firewall decided to stop my connection, must have been me trying to stop those ba****rds trying to download more grot into my C drive.

Crystal Palace . . 227 from the top of Shortlands Hill, Bromley. The 146 or . .410 Greenline I use to get from Bromley North to Keston until I was old enough to ride a push bike on the roads. Then when older . . the train to Farningham Road to fish Darenth Leisure Sport.

Woolies Bromley kept a good sizable display of tackle, spent the majority of my pocket money on it as it was closer than "Ken Browns" or "Dawson's" just round the corner.

After "woolies" do you remember "Modern Arms" ( MARCO ) of Pembroke Road, Bromley ?

Seems there are a few of you guys in or from the Bromley area . . perhaps we should meet for a beer in the new year, something informal ?

Sploger . . Mitchell 410 . . still a good reel, if you still have it it'll serve you well for the rest of your days.

Andrew Boyd

its a small world i also used to get the mail train to farningham but it was just called horton kirby then and was still in use for extraction (mid 60's) got a newspaper umberella for an 18lb carp from the place (the umberella was crap) i then moved on to the iden,maidstone the medway and mote park and then further affield,at 17 moved to folkestone and joined the cingue ports club and the military canal and my favourite pond beachborough .

and your right it was the 410 to keston i wonder where the 92/4 went :confused:

for some strange reason when i walked to keston it was always the mainroad that passes downe?? and back via farnborough :confused: happy days

the most annoying thing about horton then was the banks were still just pebbles (and steep in places)on the slightest noise from your herons you lept up and was always catapulted out of your brolly when your woolworths sunbed collapsed :D

a chap i got to know never heard his herons so me having always a electronics bent made a sounder box that ran a siren (of of a door chain warning dooda) the first time it went off it woke everyone and you could destinctly hear him being catapulted onto the gravel :D:D

i stopped fishing horton when the big drought came it was sad seeing the top pond just a few green puddles and the lower one drying we managed on my last day there ever with the help of the onsite gang to rig up some pipework from the river to the pond but it was just a trickle even the river was dropping,i never went back :(

i never remember paying to fish horton then (nor the train either) i wonder who owned it ,on a still day you could hear faintly motor racing from somewhere

[ 21. December 2004, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters . . You had a sun bed ! we just slept on the deck !!

You would not want to walk from Farnborough to Downe ( along Shire Lane ) today, it's turned into a rat run.

The motor racing you would have heard from Horton was Brands Hatch.

Spent a lot of time in the Darenth vally in the 70's. In the drought year ( 76 ) a mate and I used a keep net to rescue hundreds of fish, including small Tench, from drying pools in the Darenth under a concrete bridge, opposite, in those days, the entrance to Horton. We moved them to deeper water downstream just above the road bridge.

Andrew Boyd

i got lost on the m25 once (missed a turn) and came off at the next exit ,strangly it went near keston unfortunatly i didnt recognise a thing ,theres houses and stuff it wasent till i found a sign to chessington i got back to where i knew and on to farnham and home

the drought i'm referring to was a 1960's one