Windy ol' Weather

Vagabond

Since writing about my first wrecking trip of 2002 back in the spring, we have not been able to get out once!

A group of us have a permanent booking out of Eastbourne for the first Friday in each month - this year so far, ONE trip (very enjoyable - not least for its rarity value!) but SIX cancelled trips due to Force 6 sou-westerlies :mad: :mad: :mad:

We used to get out about eight times a year, but the last couple of years have been diabolical (only three trips in 2001)

Has anyone else managed to get out into the eastern English Channel any more often this year?

Looking forward to skate fishing in Aug (will be in touch Davy!) - at least there is a much better chance of getting afloat there !

We are thinking of booking up for once every fortnight for future Channel trips or we are going to forget which end of our tackle goes over the side!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Things haven,t been that much better around the Kent coast.

The bad weather was the reason our little boat fishing "syndicate" broke up.

Too many wasted mid week holiday days, taken off work.

Too many days spent on the beach or pier as a poor substitute, just to use the bait up.

A couple of us still go (just more expensive), but we are only getting afloat about 30% of the trips booked.

The weather can catch you out though.

Some years ago, expecting dodgy weather and cancellations, we booked four consecutive days over the Christmas holiday break.

Flat calm for all four days.

We were overjoyed, but it took a while for the bank balance to recover.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Vagabond:

Since writing about my first wrecking trip of 2002 back in the spring, we have not been able to get out once!

The answer is simple: Live near the sea. Look out of the window. If it's nice then drop everything and go fishing. If it's blowing, then go duck shooting.

I remember once in 1976, I was building a wall around a stock yard for a neighbour and feeling a bit miserable because our mother had just died. The neighbour suggested it might be nice to go fishing. Within an hour of him suggesting it, we had left Weymouth harbour, gone round Portland Bill, stopped to catch enough mackerel for bait and were anchored up about a mile off Moonfleet. Now that's quality of life (if you have an income).

Jim Roper

http://www.thisisdorset.net

http://www.searchlineuk.com/FishList.htm

http://www.deepsea.co.uk/boats/channel_chi...ftain/index.htm

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Why oh why am I selling my boat ????

Just got back from weekend at Bangor ..... the sea was flat calm today ..... the sky was blue

..... the sun was hot ..... the boat was at home ready for collection by the new owner .....

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH :mad: :(:(

Terry

tj2:

Why oh why am I selling my boat ????

Just got back from weekend at Bangor ..... the sea was flat calm today ..... the sky was blue

..... the sun was hot ..... the boat was at home ready for collection by the new owner .....

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH    :mad:      :(     :(  

Terry

Terry, I can take the boat out 365 days of the year no matter what the weather because we have inland seas that are protected from the forces of the N.sea, work allowing of course.

Why did'nt you take 2 cars, one with the caravan and one with the boat, just in case you could get out?

With the insurance for the boat and trailer as well as the fees to keep it on a plot, the servicing of the engine, replacing outdated flares, etc, etc, etc, there is an old and very true saying "when you buy a boat you buy a hole in the ocean/sea and keep throwing money into it" correct me if I am wrong. I should know. These could be a couple of answers to why you have sold the boat.

Rest assured it will be loved and will work it's stern off in my hands.

See you on Friday.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan Taylor:

"when you buy a boat you buy a hole in the ocean/sea and keep throwing money into it"

Right - when I retired I thought long and hard about buying a sea boat and keeping it at Newhaven. Went into the various costs, and came to the conclusion that with all my other fishing interests (fly,coarse,big game, etc) I would not use it more than 36 times a year. I could pay for three charter trips a month for many years for the same amount of cash.

As Derek Dalmond once said "it is a lucky skipper who gets out into the Channel more than a hundred days a year"

My paternal grandfather was a fisherman (on Yarmouth herring drifters - so when he was a lad, sail and oars were the motive power) He used to sing a rowing song from which the title of this thread is taken. Alan, as a former professional, you might appreciate it - as I hope will others......

Now up spake the herrin' - the King of the shoal,

sayin' "Why don't ya go home boys, - you're best off on the dole,

in this windy ol' weather, stormy ol' weather"

When the wind blow, we all pull together.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Jim?????

You saw the state of me after a week in Weymouth? I`ll be back for a week in Sept`, Oct` and a week at `New Year`!! What are you wearing?

Paul.

Wind? That`s when nature gets its` own back for all the baked beans we eat.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Originally posted by Vagabond:

[QB]Since writing about my first wrecking trip of 2002 back in the spring, we have not been able to get out once!

Pretty much the same here in Oz! I live close to the sea and while I can't see it from my window, I can smell it when there is a westerly blowing. Most days I have had off work for months, I have been able to smell the sea at my front door. The days I have to work, (most of them) I have not been able to smell it, (not quite true, but you get my drift). However, I am retiring in a couple of weeks, I have a good boat, good fishing tackle, scuba gear and snorkeling gear too, so a lot of those fish and lobsters out there had better start praying for lots of westerly winds.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.