Roll call for this weekend at LA

Davy Holt

well done john good read

at least ya mum will be happy to have "a fishing photo of you without your bloody glasses on"

looks like you all had a great time ,

make sure you put your camera in your bag on the 18th

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a thread that was about a skate that had been cut through the wings every one was appalled at how it had been treated some thought it was done by a knife and others thought it was a gaff, so I'm confused having never been skate fishing about gaffing especially as it was mentioned in the report

"Soon after, Dave’s fish came to the surface about fifty yards downtide of us and he quickly brought it to the boat where it was expertly gaffed and pulled aboard by Davy. Davy turned to me and said, “this is what’s on the end of your line John”. Dave’s fish measured out at 145lb – smaller than he has caught before but still the largest fish I had seen in the flesh up to then"

I suppose its the expertly gaffed that makes the difference so how is it done just in case I find my self in the lucky position of catching one.

Gaffing has to be done expertly on Davys boat. I was shown how to gaff a skate correctly before I`d even caught one! Maybe thats why we often catch a skate that we`ve boated before?

It`s a matter of consideration, when you intend to put the fish back alive. As against when you land a fish for a `Trophy` pic. :mad:

The thread that you`re refering to, concerns a 200lb+ skate that was caught by Alan Yates in Ireland a couple of years ago? According to folk more informed than myself. The gaff marks were not in the correct place, if any consideration was being given to the survival of the fish.

How much consideration does Davy Holt give to the skate he lands?

I`ve caught several dozen `good` skate fishing with Davy, some big males and big fat females up to about 160lb. But on the day I caught the fish of a lifetime, a 200lb+ skate. There was just myself and Davy onboard to bring the fish over the side. Never mind that I`d just spent 50mins, getting the fish off the sea bed and hauling it up. Once Davy caught hold of the 250lb leader, I had to divest myself of all my tackle and take the leader off him, just so he could gaff the fish in a place that would cause least damage. I imagine that fish was back in the water within 3 or 4mins. The bitch didn`t even wave goodbye as she serenely swam off and made her way back home!

However. Some charter skippers and private boat owners use the gaff indiscriminately. Just gaff the fish at the nearest point and haul the fish over the side. Blood everywhere, which even a bucket of water thrown over the victim, can`t disguise the inneficient gaffing of the fish.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hiya,

As Paul has already said Gaffing is fine so long as it's done correctly ie: on the forward leading edge of the wing roughly two thirds of the way between the Nose & wing-tip and no further than 2" from the leading edge of the wing.

I've marked the correct bit in red on this pic:

Posted Image

I'm pretty certain the wounds on the fish pictured below were not done by gaffs, given the area the second fish was cut in as it would be impossible for a gaff to tear any distance in the snout area. but on purpose with a knife :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

As for being in the lucky position of catching one, well if you can get yourself to Lochaline for a weekend I'm sure I can help you out with that quest

[ 13. June 2005, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

NickInTheNorth:

you mean you still know the way to Lochaline Davy     :D      

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Davy has worn his own ruts in the road.

The way Mr Unapproachable whinges when I appear. You`d think I`d run over his nuts!!

Anyway. You can`t miss Davys place. It`s the van with the `White tailed sea eagles` circling above. Waiting for feeding time. :):)

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

QUOTE]Originally posted by NickInTheNorth:

you mean you still know the way to Lochaline Davy :D

Yup.. I still know the way even though it's been a couple of weeks :(

I must admit this looking after the Bosses house is hard work, what with having to make sure everything is kept in working order, the gym, the jacuzzi and even a sun bed for Linda... it's a dirty job but hey someone has to do it :D

Anyway, I'll be up at LA on Sunday to catch some bait for a future trip I have

I take it that you wont be available to crew???

Jabee & Spasor.. So when you coming back up???

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"