520lber caught!

tyurke

lived on ko tao in thaliand for a year (big diving destination) loads of peace luving, trust fund hippys milling about also lots of diving company signs saying garanteed whale shark sighting or ya money back lol!

ar plan was to bye a dirty rusty old fishing boat hunt down the peacful whaleshark and harpoon the mofo! and drag it on the beach!

ther ya go garanteed sighting! 1000bht a pop lol

we called ar selves BLACK PEACE!

and would happily talk about how we would land one with a harpoon or wound it with a stanly knife or other staby rusty bit of metal!

funny getting all the swiss and french and dumb american divers taking us seriously! no way man your sick! lol

just other brits scots and dutch got the joke!

sick sence of humour maybe?

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyurke.

You got a right rifting there off the boys. On the whole quite rightly so,Although I must say I Know nothing of big game fishing personally, Was it realy neccassery to kill it? over hear in the old days, it was a common sight to see photos of a crew not being able to move on the deck for dead fish also to see discarded fish floating daed in the marina or washed up on the beach. Now as a nation on the whole we have lost a large portion of our sport through A combination of commercial pressure and the ignorance, that I mentioned above.

I would also like to add that I used to take part in the kill evreything and get a photo mentality as well. I dought that I am the oldist person to have posted an entry on this thread, so some of the others might not be able to hold thier heads up as well, and yes I do feel guilty about it. Just if you can learn from our plight leave something for the young ones, I realy wished we had. Dont stop posting mate .Just remember us Brits have learnt the hard way and now conservation is evreything.So No more DEAD sh*t Please.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Scopex:

Scopex:

Never have I needed an 80 lb test 'rope' to bring them in unharmed, not even a 20#'er. 12 lb always did the trick. This means our base line for this conversation is different. You prefer to surf a fish in, skittering it across the surface to the net, and I prefer to fight him where he has a chance to win also. Now you're saying that light tackle angling (relatively speaking) is a bad thing? Start spewing that crap and I'm sure a few of your countrymen will swim over to our side of this debate for sure.

Rope? Nope...get a grip, It's braid, I use 80lb test power pro for all my jerkbaits and 50lb for all my deadbaits when piking. Reason is simply, 80lb braid can take the punishment of casting jerkbaits all day in some snaggy, rocky scottish loch and is powerfull enough to get a snagged fish out without losing it. It has the diameter of about 16lb mono...so is hardly rope!!

All this talk of sport is rubbish, catching the fish IS the sport, tiring a fish excessively so it is unable to be safely returned or even losing it where it may get snagged and die a slow death is simply irresponsible and has nowt to do with sport. I wouldn't dream of using anything less as a lost fish can be a dead fish

Now, back to our topic...

You apparently fish for smaller species, not a dig, but an observation. If you've never battled a brute of a fish like these, please do so before making accusations as to someone's motivation in standing next to one on a meat pole.

Oh, really! Pictures of grinning yanks with huge dead fish strung up on your aptly named "meat pole" do sort conjure up less than sportsman like images to me? Gee whizz, it must be me, huh?

Do you think he left the dock saying, "Gee, I hope I get something really big to kill for no reason tonight! I really need to show off.".

The accusations you made of him wanting to kill the fish solely for a photo op are, I'm sure, unfounded. I'll even bet you that he was sorry for even hooking one that big in the first place, 'cuz I know he felt the after effects on his body for days to come.

I don't know what he thought or for that matter do you? So therefore our views are of equal merit.

Killing fish solely for bragging rights and not making use of the flesh is wrong, I, and I'm sure the other 'Yanks' as you call us, would well agree. We all are in awe of these great creatures, big or small, there's no arguement there.

My god, we finally agree on something! Watch out or you'll start tree hugging! I hear it's catching!

Where I would disagree however, is that when you do decide to kill one for food, it should be photographed when still alive and not posed cold and dead with the angler beside it in typical "big game hunter" pose as that is both brash and abhorrent and does not do the image of sportfishing any favours. If you cannot see that you sir are truelly a fool!

It's hard to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent... shall I send you some of my leftover ammunition? LOL!

Oh dear, once again you refer back to guns, you seem to be obsessed by them. Better make sure the safetys on there buddy, don't want you shooting yourself in the ass! :D
Knight Fighter is right on... You're not ignorant, not by any means. You are, however, absitively posolutely, no bout a doubt it ......downright STUPID!.

If you had any sense you would have seen my last words to you, as all others here I'm sure read into it right. I wasn't referring to sending you bullets you nitwit, I was going to send you some brains so we could actually have a BATTLE OF WITS! Get it, man it sucks when you have to explain the punchline to the target! Whoa, to be me :( ... and to think there might have still been a sliver of hope for you...

[ 15. October 2005, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: BoatsMiami.com Yacht Sales ]

Work is for those who don't know how to fish!

Makomatt,

Nothing wrong with catching your supper mate but even a fat b*st*rd like me couldn't eat One of them. (not in one go any way)

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Elton:

Elton:

By the way how does Fox taste? Talk about sportsman! And you don’t even eat it, what a country.

I'm told it's similar to bear.

Whether that's Grizzly, Brown, Black or Polar, I'm not sure

Funny thing is, we do eat bear it is excellent and extremely healthy. I didn’t realize you actually eat the fox, please excuse my ignorance in this area of your culture. I truly apologize, we don't eat fox here.

Night Fighter:

Funny thing is, we do eat bear it is excellent and extremely healthy. I didn’t realize you actually eat the fox, please excuse my ignorance in this area of your culture. I truly apologize, we don't eat fox here.

Funny thing is, we don't hunt foxes here, so this whole discussion is a bit irrelevant :rolleyes: It was made illegal a while back. I suppose gamekeepers still do, but that's to protect their birds, not as a hobby.

My wife, on the other hand, does like Swordfish (I don't eat fish) and usually makes sure she has at least one meal of it when when we're on holiday.

I've tried Zebra, Ostrich and a few other things that I probably don't want to know about, but don't think I could manage Bear. My daughter would never let me near Winnie The Pooh again :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

New to your forum, I am from Florida. Ignorant mentality that some people show is impresive. Fishing is a Sport and Sports are about the strugle and the conquest. So when you win and take a picture, your effort is degraded because you toke a picture of the victory? The pic is of the fisherman and his quary, not a guy with a lump of meat. You that are against taking a pic with a fish, dose it matter if the fish is small or large. Does a pic with a Carp offend you the same way? We the fishermen take pride in our skill, effort and ability to catch a fish in the middle of the night 1000' down 20-30 miles out in the Ocean(on a lucky night)with reasonable tackle. The Carp,Pike .... you talk about are less impresive than that Swordfish? The difference is that we give the fish the respect they deserve with pics, we admire them so the pic is a record of that. The same as we take pics of our children or anything of importance. We have laws on quantity, size, season and yes tackle. Our laws are strickly enforced and the fines include loseing your tackle and boat. Tackle(at least $3,000) and boat($25,000) for most or atleast me. We have Coast Guard, Water Mangement, Florida Game and Wildlife Commission, Marine Patrol and Police boats from each City do you think this because we dont care about the fish. You have laws you dont enforce and that is because you as a sportsman dont do for you fish what we do for ours in order to get them protected. You catch small fish with 80# power pro and say this is conservation, what is the sport in that!

[ 15. October 2005, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: BOTTOMFISH ]

Bottomfish, welcome.

If you read through the thread, you'll see that there's a fair split of opinion from the Brits. Some have even been swayed by some of the more educational posts added to the discussion by you guys who actually fish for these beasts. The split I mention happens over here when they discuss UK fishing, too - you should see some of the discussions on livebaiting when pike fishing and some of the posts on here in the past when somebody has 'dared' take a fish home to eat LOL

There are a couple of flaws in your argument above, however:

quote:

thats like hunting a Fox with 30 dogs 16 men on horses tracking it down in to a hole then shoting it. Sorry that is not very sportman like by our standards.

Where does this happen? Not in the UK, unless you want to go to prison.

quote:

The difference is that we give the fish the respect they deserve with pics, we admire them so the pic is a record of that. The same as we take pics of our children or anything of importance.

Last time I took a pic of my little girl, i hadn't just killed her and hung her up outside.

:D

The tit-for-tat thing just doesn't work. We're anglers - if people really want to have a go at us, they only have to identify the fact that we all stick hooks in fish for fun and wrench them out of their natural environment. Us having a go at each other is plain daft.

By all means, it's great to see the fors and againsts discussed. Like I said, it's swayed a few people over here, but please ignore the wind-up merchants on both sides who just want to create daft arguments for argument's sake. It happens on forums all the time, mainly due to the supposed anonimity of it all, but is probably made 'worse' in this instance here because these guys are 1000's of miles apart.

On a lighter note, I wonder if anyone saw this post by our (American!) moderator?

Posted Image

:D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE