What is a 'true' angler?

Peter Waller

Nothing quite like the sight of a fleet of brolly powered angling dinghies racing for the leward shore! The wake creaming from their bows, the whoop of exhilaration as they lift onto the top of a breaking wave!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A true angler sits on the train as it passes by long stretches of the canal and the river.

S/he spots fishy-looking swims at 90mph.

S/he wants to get off the train and go fishing. Right now!

Especially in that place miles from the nearest road where maybe nobody has ever fished before.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Glenn B...

The same applies to car drivers. Can a true angler drive over a river bridge without either stopping to take a look or, at the very least, grabbing a fleeting glimpse as they pass by?

That could well be the ultimate "True Angler" test....

Fenboy

A "true angler" wouldn't try to define what makes a true angler.

We are anglers and we are true to ourselves.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I think many of these posts encompass what I would call the ways of a 'true' angler.

My 'tuppenceworth' :-

They must have removed the 'blinkers' that some areas of our sport seem so set on, and look upon Angling as a whole and much varied sport rather than just their particular fetish.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Dear Fender's,

I have actually caught pike on boilees!! Well, not on purpose by way of intentional design, but when reeling in to re-bait. From memory the tally for such unintentional Essox captures stands at four pike to around 12lbs!!

On several other occasions I've had pike lunge at and grab hold of my home made bait droppers as well!

As an aside perhaps to this threads topic, can all the dyed in the wool pikers out there tell me why hardly anyone fishes the Trent for pike??

OK, I know that certain spots are popular with pikers like Collingham weir pool for example (fishing from a boat) but I'm talking about the river as a whole here. From my observations over considerable years, the Trent is virtually un-tapped as a going pike venue. Dreadful shame this because I know of literally scores of Trent venues that hold some very big pike indeed.

Regards,

Lee.