Wanna buy a mark????

Davy Holt

KennyC:

Dale, don't think you'll win 'How to win friends and influence people" award. :)

- I saw someone digging and they were getting white ragworm - if I started to dig beside the person should they feel agrieved?

If it were me digging I would probably welcome the company as long as you said "hi my names Kenny, mind if I join you?" Taking turns one digging and one picking em out makes for a very efficient team. Chatting while you work can lead to friendships and IMO thats what fishing is all about :cool:

Just barge in and thats another story :(

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you fish Solent and Dorset areas get a hold of the Books "Dive Hampshire & Wight" and "Dive Dorset" these two books not only give the GPS locations of the vast number of wrecks in the area but also provide fascinating reading of the history of what you are fishing over!!!

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

dear me i thought the WILD halibut thing had died a death. :o

the reason for not naming the venue wasn't so no one could know, it was to try and protect the area from commercial longlinning. plenty of people know where it was so amongst the anglers it was easy to find out. not that there will be too many escapees left. :rolleyes:

i didn't see the point in advertising a spot where we had caught so many large gravid female dogs.

i'm sure if you ask `the unapproachable one' he will tell you, in fact ask anyone and they can tell you. including me!

AH! `the unapproachable one'. I might as well clear that up as well.

there was a discussion on another forumn re skate and i added my tuppenence worth and in the i added the comment `that not everyone found Davy to be approachable'.

this as usual has been mis-quoted and taken out of context.

i personally found Davy extremely helpful in the past and so has my father to the point his finest angling achievement has come aboard the chatchalot. something now unfortunately due to severe ill health he will never repeat. that though remains his favourite angling moment as he not only enjoyed the fishing but the company as well.

before this comment was made a friend of mine and my son was with me on a skate trip to lochaline. due to the foul weather we were forced to abandon the trip but not before we had spent some time in the pub where davy and friends were. my friend had tried to make conversation but found Davy very reserved. it later transpired during conversations with other anglers some had found the same. hence my comment.

contrary to some people's belief there is no fued or ill will on my part towards Davy its just sometimes my views and his don't always match.

i will take this opportunity to praise what Davy has done for common skate and the methods he employs in catching them.

lastly this is one for the MOB arguement. there is a mark that Davy has been fishing recently with top results. i happend to pass a boat a couple of years ago fishing what i think is the same area. at the time my crew had not seen a skate being caught so we stopped while they hauled aboard a fine fish. we had a chat and moved on. a year later i returned to that spot when no one else was there and gave it a try. it is one of many such marks on my GPS. some of which i have tried for myself or seen other boats at. i can't see what is so wrong about that. i didn't knick it or get in the way. i used myangling brain to add it to my list of possibles.

quote:

I saw someone digging and they were getting white ragworm - if I started to dig beside the person should they feel agrieved?

Kenny can't say I'd be too happy if someone came digging right beside me but thats just me. A few years ago a guy had seen me digging at a spot. The next day when I went down the guy was stripping the beach taking thousands of worms and whats worse not back-filling. Needless to say the spot has never recovered

Ian B...sorry for the too much info but I thought everyone new where the Haddock where.....Apologies to all. My misses works in a fishy that owns commercials and they know it so....anyway whats done is done....live and learn.. :) Lee

Huge_Vitae:

If you fish Solent and Dorset areas get a hold of the Books "Dive Hampshire & Wight" and "Dive Dorset" these two books not only give the GPS locations of the vast number of wrecks in the area but also provide fascinating reading of the history of what you are fishing over!!!

And also many of the GPS locations are wrong so you still have to search about! I have the Hampshire one and they are a great read when its quiet - more fun than trying to read my GPS manual again :D

If anyone wants wreck marks do a Google search for dive sites, there are loads of wrecks listed with details and GPS fixs.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Salar,

I had the wrong location and searching for wrecks till I was enlightened on the various GPS variants by a visiting friend from Holland.

I know the author of Dive Wight & Hampshire. He uses a different GPS set up. I will find it out for you and let you know, when you put in the right offset you will find most are spot on.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

I just gave the halibut story as an example - for WHATEVER the reasons there are some people who do not want other people to fish in an area.

I'm sure the commercials are well aware of areas that have not been fished and it's only a matter of time until they do. :(

There are some anglers I know - up rods if another boat comes within half a mile of them.

I would also think that charter skippers do not enjoy having a flotilla following there every move. I'm sure that a lot of boat anglers can read charts and sounders, but getting the right times and tides is another matter.

Lee...:

Ian B...sorry for the too much info but I thought everyone new where the Haddock where.....Apologies to all. My misses works in a fishy that owns commercials and they know it so....anyway whats done is done....live and learn.. :) Lee

Hi Lee

I'm sorry if i came across as having a go but we must be careful.

A few years ago a group of Blackpool/Morecambe boat owners came up here and hammered the Plaice and wrote and told Sea Angler all about it. The commercial boys moved in and wiped the lot out in one week.

I believe the same happened to the Porgies up at Scrabster.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

dale:

i didn't knick it or get in the way. i used myangling brain to add it to my list of possibles.

You didn't use your angling brain. You used somebody elses.

Just passing someone and pressing MOB is one thing, to steam 4 miles to a boat press MOB then steam back to your original mark is out of order in my opinion

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk