Geese - why downstream?

The Flying Tench

At dusk on many rivers you get the dramatic sight, and sound, of Canadian Geese and other birds flying in their V-formations, downstream. But why is it always downstream? (I know, I know - they must fly upstream in the morning!)

I see it less often with ducks, but it seems to be the same.

Any theories?

J

john clarke

At dusk on many rivers you get the dramatic sight, and sound, of Canadian Geese and other birds flying in their V-formations, downstream. But why is it always downstream? (I know, I know - they must fly upstream in the morning!)

I see it less often with ducks, but it seems to be the same.

Any theories?

J

There's a clue: they probably roost on the river's estuarine mud flats.

There's a clue: they probably roost on the river's estuarine mud flats.

They probably also have a feed whilst they are at it. Bed and breakfast ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I over look a valley with a stream and a series of pools at the bottom (unfortunately I can only fish one of them) and the geese and ducks fly in formation going in both directions at all times of the day.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

They will have a favourite resting area and go back every night to it ,probably a large pond in that direction

If they are going in either direction perhaps they have fields in either direction they feed on but get disturbed so fly to the alternate one?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

They probably also have a feed whilst they are at it. Bed and breakfast ;)

Depends on the moon; a couple of days either side of full moon they'll feed all night.

Our chickens use to as well ,much to the annoyance of the neighbours ,generally they put them selves to bed at dusk and out at dawn but a bright moon confused them

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Not hard to confuse chickens?

I can understand Chesters chickens being confused (and they have my sympathies), but they are just taking advantage of the moonlight which gives them the ability to see predators that on a dark night they couldn't, just like any other bird species.

Not hard to confuse chickens?

I can understand Chesters chickens being confused (and they have my sympathies), but they are just taking advantage of the moonlight which gives them the ability to see predators that on a dark night they couldn't, just like any other bird species.

It's not the chickens who were confused, the chickens were just doing what many birds do. It's chesters who was confused.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote