Socks, an index of the aging process ?

Vagabond

About the most sensible thing Jim Callaghan (remember him ?) ever said was "When you are over 70, do not try to put on your socks whilst standing up"

Donned clean socks, shirt, etc for my visit to hospital, and due to the disruption to routine, was confronted with two pairs of socks on the bedroom ottoman (whereon I store my clothing overnight) when I came to dress the next morning.

Put on one pair and put the other pair in the laundry basket - as you do.

At this point Norma dryly observed I had put on the "dirtier" pair, and consigned the "cleaner" pair to the wash. Dutifully I retrieved the "almost clean" socks, and consigned the offending pair to the wash, and observed that at least I had not reached the stage where I might have put on one of each pair.

A discussion on "sock matching perception " ensued, and Norma reminded me that teenage grandson No 4 (he of the Severn boat trip, who ate chocolate biscuits with knees up by his ears and bare feet on the table) was wont to put on the first two socks he found and expressed surprise that any should worry about a mismatch.

Sometimes I have put on odd socks whilst dressing in the dark, and answered any criticism by saying the oddity is intentional, the purpose being to remind me which are my respective right and left feet. However, should I find an explanation of odd socks necessary in the future, I will merely suggest I have reached my second childhood.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Haha - reminds me of the quote from George Burns...

"You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you're down there."

C.

• Like 1

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

A discussion on "sock matching perception " ensued, and Norma reminded me that teenage grandson No 4 (he of the Severn boat trip, who ate chocolate biscuits with knees up by his ears and bare feet on the table) was wont to put on the first two socks he found and expressed surprise that any should worry about a mismatch.

Dave. I have a friend who had the same philosophy as Number Four. Some forty plus years later he still does not arrange his socks in pairs and wears the first two that come to hand each morning.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Some forty plus years later he still does not arrange his socks in pairs and wears the first two that come to hand each morning.

..........and if they're all the same, like mine, you always get a matching pair. :)

• Like 1

All,

You guys are so "behind the times". My daughter, now 18, buys uni-socks of every ilk. She then exchanges one sock from each pair with her boyfriend. They then wear a "like" unmatched pair of socks to school. That means they are a "steady" pair (of kids). Of course that is if you can get them to wear any socks at all.

Phone

(As for me, I use the Ayjay method with a slight variation - some black; some white.)