Float fishing for perch - frequency of casting

The Flying Tench

I like to keep some movement in the water - either by regular recasting, or by fishing a static bait and trickling in some maggot and chopped worm over the top on a match angler style "little and often" basis.

I'll also move swims regularly if I'm not seeing signs of activity or bites

Mat

P.S. Martin56 - it's illegal to use crayfish from any source as bait in the UK

Hi Mat, on the Crayfish thing - I've just Emailed EA as I've read on another site that someone is saying that Crayfish Ready cooked Tails from a Fishmonger/Supermarket ARE permitted.

I'll know when they've replied & will keep you posted.

Thanks for the Heads Up all the same.

Martin.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

All,

Copied and pasted EA Byelaws

""""""""""""1.6.1 . . . You may not use crayfish of any species, whether alive or dead, (including any part of a crayfish) when fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in any waters. This is a national (byelaw.)

Don't know??

Phone

Yes Phone I see that is a valid point.

I was thinking however that the type I was thinking about might be OK as the Nasties had been cooked/boiled out?? ie Factory Processed.

Especially as I'd read on the Internet that this was the case (unofficially & not from an expert source I hasten to add!!)

We'll know soon enough.

The EA can't be expected to cover & update these Byelaws on a daily basis as Angling methods progress.

That's the reason I Emailed the EA for clarification.

Martin.

Edited by Martin56

Martin,

Yes, your point is well taken. Since they are NOT a health hazard to the fish factory processed makes sense. That's the scary part. Little in the UK angling rules make sense. (tongue in cheek Ha ha.)

I thought you may use this url whilst you await an official answer to your email. You can also download the entire set of freshwater angling regulations and amendments if you wish. Plenty of cold weather reading there.

http://www.newarkpiscatorial.co.uk/docs/ea_freshwater_rod_fishing_rules.pdf

Phone

The rule is I believe to protect the endangered native white claw cray. it'd be pretty tricky for an EA bailiff to work out exactly what species your prepared crayfish tails actually came from :)

That is assuming you actually meet one of the almost mythical EA bailiffs while on the bank . . . . .

Mat

Mat

In England and Wales you must not:

use crayfish as bait

use another fish you’ve taken as bait unless you’re doing so on the same waters

where you caught it

As you can see, its worse than ambiguity over crayfish. owing to the sloppy wording

If you interpret the above literally, you can't use dead, or frozen (even if cooked/ tinned/smoked or otherwise processed/etc ) fish from elsewhere either

...and last updated in 2015.

As against that, despite submitting both my licence applications and my gamefish returns on time, I average three "reminders" per year for each, penpushers keyboard tappers, eh ?

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

In England and Wales you must not:

use crayfish as bait

use another fish you’ve taken as bait unless you’re doing so on the same waters

where you caught it

I'd have thought that was pretty specific, "You must not use crayfish as bait", not much ambiguity about that.

Like most of the rules concerning angling, ambiguity is not so much the problem. It's more to do with crap ideas, and then trying to enforce them, and failing miserably.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

The rule is I believe to protect the endangered native white claw cray. it'd be pretty tricky for an EA bailiff to work out exactly what species your prepared crayfish tails actually came from :)

That is assuming you actually meet one of the almost mythical EA bailiffs while on the bank . . . . .

Mat

You have more chance of catching a white claw Cray!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I haven't actually looked closely at the packaging of the Supermarket ones from the fishmonger Aisle, be assured though, they will be from a sustainable Source & may not even originate from the UK??

The Supermarket trade needs to know that it has a reliable supplier in the quantities they require!!

I'll have a look some time & get back on that one.

Edited by Martin56

I haven't actually looked closely at the packaging of the Supermarket ones from the fishmonger Aisle, be assured though, they will be from a sustainable Source & may not even originate from the UK??

The Supermarket trade needs to know that it has a reliable supplier in the quantities they require!!

I'll have a look some time & get back on that one.

Here's the Latest :-

The Morrison's brand Crayfish tails are "Wild caught by Creel Nets in China".

Ready to Eat (cooked, peeled & Brined) Yep' Salt kills a lot of Nasties also!!

Exploitation of workers may be another issue!! (probably at both ends)

They are totally safe - at least from the conservation of our Native Species viewpoint.

These are as safe as Prawns, Maggots, Worms Sweetcorn & Luncheon Meat or any other bait for that matter!!

Edited by Martin56