New style rings - huge improvement

Newt

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They sound excellent, but I would have to be sure that the line can never get trapped in the coil part.

Ive had the odd single legged ring on my Barbel rods twist before and it would certainly solve this problem.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

What if say, the highest performance reel you could afford to buy for yourself was bright pink? Would you still tell yourself looks mean nothing?

Actually, I would. If glare was a problem I might put on some camo tape but otherwise, I'd happy fish with it.

To some extent, it may be a cultural difference. The magazine/catalog adverts for US tackle is all about specs and function with nary a mention of how nice it looks. The UK adverts make it very clear that looks is important to UK anglers and is a major selling point.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Actually, I would. If glare was a problem I might put on some camo tape but otherwise, I'd happy fish with it.

To some extent, it may be a cultural difference. The magazine/catalog adverts for US tackle is all about specs and function with nary a mention of how nice it looks. The UK adverts make it very clear that looks is important to UK anglers and is a major selling point.

Newt, we are major, big time tackle tarts in this country!

A nearby tackle shop to me has a full length mirror for its customers, and that is NO joke. Not only does something have to look good, be in the right colour, but it must also have the right label on it. Bank cred is all important.

I would buy them, Newt.

I've just had another ring on a boat rod disintegrate on me whilst at sea. It pees me off no end. I've got beachcasters tossed to the back of my garage because the rings have corroded, too.

Land-lubbers may prefer pretty, but I'll take reliable any day :)

I do share Boldbear's concern about line getting trapped, mind you.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I saw these a few months ago and would use them to re-build a rod, performance is the only criteria.

Yes they look like the rings on my 1970's Atlantic ABU''s which work and work well, the fact that these are deformable is wonderful.

To many 'float' rods come with rings that are far to small and fragile, the single leg versions would be ideal.

It is so sad to see the colour, badge, lable becoming so important. I was given a Carp mag a few days ago and reading the articles says it all, each writer going on about how wonderful this product is, how that bait never fails etc, etc.

It goes to show how the world has turned where in the States, the home of salesmanship, performance is more important than appearence.

They'll be producing polyphonic bite alams next !!!! . . and even worse anglers will buy them !!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I know the next products . . The Fox Camo house brick . . to throw at the guy in the next swim with his alarms at full volume sounding like a climaxing woman. If that does not work perhaps the Nash Bazouka with night sight , or AK47 with matching Realtree body bags to clear up the mess, you would not want to get thrown off the water due to a bit of rubbish lying around ( up the trees, splattered over the reeds etc ).

Andrew Boyd

They'll be producing polyphonic bite alams next !!!!

LOL Where have you been the past year?

http://www.bite-alarm.co.uk/search/polyphonic

:D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I kind of like the look of them! Nice and old school. I think I'm about 'medium' in terms of tartiness - looks do matter a little bit, but it's functionality I'm more concerned about. The main downside I see with these, though, is glare in the sun.

As for polyphonic bite alarms... [shudder]

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'd buy them Newt. As a few others have noted they look just like the old ABU Zoom rings, and like I said recently in another post my two old glass ABU rods are still amongst my favourites. Bank cred? I never have worried too much about how something looked, just how it performed.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote