Warm base layer

James P

Happy new year to all the AN members!

After spending much of the Christmas holiday period in bed due to both tonsillitis and bronchitis (which getting whilst being an asthmatic is not a nice experience!) i've decided to invest in a decent set of thermal underwear for fishing.

Do any of you guys have any recommendations? I'd like to wear as few layers as is possible as I hate looking like the mitchelin man and being restricted whilst moving/casting etc.

Is it worth looking into dedicated snow sports type stuff?

Regards

James

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a dog walker, I wear these nearly very day in the winter. I also have the matching top.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I just wear as many THIN layers of mixed materials as possible. There's no point in wearing lots of layers of cotton, or wool or man-made materials. Mix them up and you feel the benefit of each.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Happy New Year James!

I've just got my first thermals for X'mas, a cheap no brand set. Over that a pair of jogging bottoms and loose jumper, over that combat trousers and a fleece/Gore-tex ski jacket combo, waterproof overtrousers next on my list should they be needed. Coupled with some Muck boots, a warm hat, a scarf, (I prefer this combo to a balaclava) and gloves, this all keeps me just warm enough, and not too hot whilst moving about.

Edited by Angly

Geoff

Cheapo Thermal Vest and Long John underlayers, then a pair of jeans and a jumper over this, topped off by an all-in-one thermal suit. Warm as toast.

I really couldn't recommend a proper thermal suit enough. Fished all say yesterday without feeling the cold once.

For me it's a sweatshirt, jumper and long barbour for the body and a cap and hood for the head. Legs just get jeans and my army surplus waterproof trousers (camo would you believe) which all works very well. My hands and feet do suffer though and I find that if my extremeties are cold no amount of warmth elsewhere makes up for it, I've yet to find any fingerless gloves that really work.

Usually I wear cheapo wellies over three layers of socks but my feet still get cold pretty quick. Today I bought some 'Military Action Boot Socks (with cushioned sole)'. They also have a 'Thermal' sticker on them so I have high hopes of toasty feet in future. Out of interest what makes socks Thermal as opposed to just thick and woolly? The pair I have look like normal thick socks to me.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I wear this and have the bottoms as well its very warm http://www.billyclarke.co.uk/product_info....roducts_id=5511

Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I go for the M and S thermal longjohns and crew neck top next to the skin, followed by a tee shirt and boxer shorts, then its fleecy lined wychwood bib and brace on the bottom and wychwood reversible showerproof fleece on top.

Capped off with a wychwood hooded jacket and thermal fleece hat if its really cold.

Feet get the millets hiker thermal socks and either waterproof Hi-tech lightweight boots, Karrimor leather boots or Sundridge hotfoot wellies.

I also take my fingerless and neoprene gloves.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I find it depends on the kind of fishing you're doing. If you're trotting (standing up, moving around a lot) anything sensible is fine, even in extreme temperatures. If you're sitting down and being fairly inactive, moonboots and decent gloves are in order. Plus a big flask of tea!

If it's cold I wear lots of thin layers, jeans, several pairs of socks and a warm hat.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music