Who's been catching in the snow?

The Flying Tench

Had a nice Roach chris talks about after stirring things up whilst trying to get out and trotting the edge of the coloured water.

Yes there’s been a couple of occasions where I’ve happened across a shoal of Roach whilst fishing the Lambourn. Usually it’s a tiddler a chuck but sometimes a bigger one makes an appearance and it gets you wondering how big they go to.

I don’t often catch them singularly though, if I get one concentrating the feed in that spot generally produces a few more, unlike the Grayling which just clear off after a couple of fish.

I've also made the 'easy to get in, hard to get out' mistake.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got back from the Ribble I had three grayling and a chub, the chub was very satisfying as I hit it at very long range setting a hook at 50 yards+ is hugely satisfying!! :D

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

As there is still some persistent snow lying here and there, this just about qualifies! Another nice day at the stream with Rich chubbing. It's 3ft up with cold water, but dropping and the colour dropping out too, but very hard work. Rich lost a good chub on worm, I lost one on cheesepaste and then managed to land two of about 3lb each from the same spot (a deep, slack hole next to an overhanging tree, on a bend - classic!). Very tough going, but it was just an excuse to talk about Wingham for a few hours :D

Tomorrow looks good though - rising temps, dropping and clearing rivers following floods, heavy cloud all day and a light westerly - big perch time!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Tomorrow looks good though - rising temps, dropping and clearing rivers following floods, heavy cloud all day and a light westerly - big perch time!

Today wasn't too bad either, Andrew.

I had a bit of a groundhog day. Another Perch of 3lb 10oz on an iced up lake (not nearly as bad as last week), except that this time I have all of the afternoons action on video.

Whilst it ain't no 'Catching The Impossible', it should be mildly entertaining and offer plenty of scope for a touch of leg pulling. :D

PS. Other than Martin Bowler's Gt. Ouse 5lb'er, what's the biggest Perch to have been caught (literally) on film, anyone?

I had a bit of a groundhog day. Another Perch of 3lb 10oz on an iced up lake (not nearly as bad as last week), except that this time I have all of the afternoons action on video.

Whilst it ain't no 'Catching The Impossible', it should be mildly entertaining and offer plenty of scope for a touch of leg pulling. :D

PS. Other than Martin Bowler's Gt. Ouse 5lb'er, what's the biggest Perch to have been caught (literally) on film, anyone?

Sharkbyte i have no idea what the biggest one caught on film is but would love to see the premier of your film,Well done again a great catch post the clip soon please as its been a while since i saw a big Perch Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Blimey, you're on a roll! Excellent work, can't wait to see it :)

Me and Rich both blanked, in theory it should have been spot on but there's a surprising amount of snow still around which is dribbling into the stream constantly, plus a few icebergs floated past! I think it was just to cold for them today. I had one proper bite which I missed... :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Blimey, you're on a roll! Excellent work, can't wait to see it :)

Me and Rich both blanked, in theory it should have been spot on but there's a surprising amount of snow still around which is dribbling into the stream constantly, plus a few icebergs floated past! I think it was just to cold for them today. I had one proper bite which I missed... :rolleyes:

At least you HAD a bite.... :P

The ponds were still mostly frozen solid here at the weekend. Strangely two of the three ponds at one of the local fisheries were completely clear, with the larger and deeper pond completely frozen. Unfortunately for my planned Sunday afternoon trip, when I arrived there was a match on both ponds that didn't finish until 15:15. It was touch and go, give up and go home, or wait for the match to finish and have a short session until dark. I decided on the latter, persevered with a larger bait rather than going for the silver fish and had one bite on the leger rod for a 8lb carp and one bite near dark on the float rod for a 6lb carp. It was nice to finally get the landing net wet after the tiddler dominated catches of the last couple of months :).

A couple of decent carp figured in the match weights, won with 12lb+ with a 10lb ish carp and some tiddlers, second was 10lb+ with a 8lb ish carp and some tiddlers.

I had a couple of hours moochin down a tidal part of a small river today and found some lovely looking runs but they were all either void of fish or the fish in them were still too cold to be bothered feeding. I crossed a small stream entering the river to investigate new pastures on the other side.

Whilst I was engrossed in looking for likely chub haunts in my newly discovered stretch of river I forgot about the tide............. and the small stream I had crossed to get to the promised land..... After walking quite a distance up the river I tried to trot the float down a swim and noticed the current was hardly moving. Then I remembered "The Tide!"

I wound back my line sharpish and marched on the double back to that little stream I'd crossed previously. When I got there the stream was about five foot deep and there where no bridges enabling me to cross back. I had to walk the best part of a mile along the banking to a spot where it seemed shallow enough for me to cross and then as I waded across the stream I sunk to just below my waist in stinky water (which I think is a sewage outlet for a large sewage works). Finally, when I got back to the car, I was not only now frozen with the biting wind but I had to strip off ****o to get in the car so as to avoid covering the seat with god only knows what, luckily I wasn't pulled by the local bobbies or who knows what they'd have charged me with. Here's my only reward for all that effort.

16thfeb09RUfforddouglasweb.jpg