Who's been catching in the snow?

The Flying Tench

Looks to have been a great couple of days Wellyphant, congratulations on the fish, commiserations on joining the centrepin brigade (you'll understand once the 'need' to own more than one kicks in... and it will).

I think the reel/fish photo thing is to provide some scale to the fish size but I suspect there's a bit of posing going on too :D

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went up to the river Eden yesterday and was expecting plenty of snow but when i arrived there was hardly any.That didn't bother me though as the reason for the trip was to try out my new pin,something i hadn't had the chance to do since my casting lesson from the gentleman Alan'darlings'Roe(cheers Alan).The sun was bright,the river was running quite low and very clear

grayling004.jpg

First cast produced this lovely grayling,my first pin caught fish :clap2: and my first chance to join the 'photo of a fish next to centre-pin'club.

grayling002.jpg

The first 30 mins produced 3 Grayling and 1 trout then everything went quiet but i ended up with 7 grayling and 1 trout.I enjoyed myself that much i decided to return again today where my catch consisted of 3 Grayling and 5 trout,here's a pic of todays biggest.

grayling007.jpg

Good result - the grayling round here are notable by their absence - well certainly for me anyway. :blink:

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Looks to have been a great couple of days Wellyphant, congratulations on the fish, commiserations on joining the centrepin brigade (you'll understand once the 'need' to own more than one kicks in... and it will).

Arite Rusty,the need HAS already kicked in my friend,i've been trying to win myself a bargain on ebay in the shape of an Okuma Aventa pro but so far have been outbit at the last minute.You see i 'really' need another one,,,one for light work and one for heavy work :D and apart from that they're just a nice little boys toy to polish and play with..

Edited by wellyphant

River Avon here in Bath reached levels I haven't seen for 5/6 years yesterday...still high but dropping now. Still wouldn't face my chances at the weekend so am going to give it a miss, just don't have the time with Valentines day and my girlfriends birthday on the same day to get to a stillwater somehere....I'd be in the dog house for along time lol

Well I'm sat here thoroughly frustrated - wanted to get out this morning - fancied a grayling or two in the snow - but the country lanes round here are just tooo dangerous, I got stuck in the snow on my own drive yesterday afternoon!- and I'm off to footy this afternoon. Might try tomorrow.....

C.

Hi Chris,

Looks like you made it down the following day, (Blog).

Nice catch of grayling too!! Feel sure our paths will cross one of these days, Great when those larger grayling are hooked, staying deep as they do putting a pleasing bend through the rod, a real joy in these gloomy times...

Andy

Hi Chris,

Looks like you made it down the following day, (Blog).

Nice catch of grayling too!! Feel sure our paths will cross one of these days, Great when those larger grayling are hooked, staying deep as they do putting a pleasing bend through the rod, a real joy in these gloomy times...

Andy

Yup managed to escape for a few hours - as Sam's football match was postponed. The Lambourn is usually a bit of a banker for putting a bend in the rod - as long as you're not too fussy on the size of fish!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Yup managed to escape for a few hours - as Sam's football match was postponed. The Lambourn is usually a bit of a banker for putting a bend in the rod - as long as you're not too fussy on the size of fish!

Do you bother wading when fishing the Lambourn Chris? I'm thinking of the wider Church stretch downstream of the Shaw footbridge.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Do you bother wading when fishing the Lambourn Chris? I'm thinking of the wider Church stretch downstream of the Shaw footbridge.

Yes - there's 3 swims at Shaw where I get in the water - one of them on the Church stretch ;) - though to be honest I've had more joy at the top stretch this winter. Mind you some nice roach came out of the Church stretch for me last year - (fish over a 1lb) so I always have a dabble down there.....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Hi Rusty,

Just be wary, some of those swims are rather soft underfoot, for a classic chalkstream anyway!!

Had a nice Roach chris talks about after stirring things up whilst trying to get out and trotting the edge of the coloured water.

Have fun !! But be careful....

Andy

Hi Rusty,

Just be wary, some of those swims are rather soft underfoot, for a classic chalkstream anyway!!

Had a nice Roach chris talks about after stirring things up whilst trying to get out and trotting the edge of the coloured water.

Have fun !! But be careful....

Andy

How nice is nice?

john clarke