Angler cautioned for illegal fishing methods

Elton

Peter Waller:

And on the 9th day God realised that he'd cocked up, big time, so he invented piking!

'Bout right.

Carping was for Adam - piking was for Eve. S'how it's been ever since, really.

Terry :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Romanicarper'isms
whatisms??

quote:

aplomb
See another one oo' dusna know what theys on abahht thats BOMB you eejit and he uses it to deliver his baited hook sheeesh its a good job i's ere or you's lot wuddna know anyfink

quote:

I suppose it could be an illogical reaction to saturation carping. Yes, that has to be the answer! Got 'em, it is down to carpies afterall!!
see toldya dint i :P

Oh and telly

quote:

Plus I've got me dear ol' muvver makin' a spell and you'll wake up t'morra as a toad.
she missed last time and got the muvva outlaw

quote:

Ah thats better! about time some AN silliness was brought to this far to serious thread!
OI tweetie, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i's bein serious i tells ya wots so funnee bout that?

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

fenboy just to set the record straight DM was not away from his rods. i think that this has been phrased this way as a bit of journalistic license at missing on an exclusive.

DM was actually standing between his rods at the time that he was cautioned. his offence was actually in having the rod buts more than three metres apart. his rods were spaced out around 7 to 8 feet apart each, three rods, which meant that in total from first but to last they were around 7 metres not the three required in the byelaws.

i have spoke to DM about this tonight and can assure you all that this is correct.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Mark,could it have been that carp anglers moved these rods further apart? Mr Moules should stuck within the EA's ruling on rod butt distance apart.I always do :rolleyes: I simpley unplug my tips and spread them over 20m :D:D

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

That stinks, Mark. Do you think the bailiff was under instructions to get him?

DM has been fishing for pike even longer than me. I know that, because he used to stop and check us out when we were kids. (I'm 48 now). He's a smashing bloke and a great angler, largely unsung except by those in the know. His Fenland 30s book is a little cracker.

Ironically, having rods TOO close together is in theory more damaging to pike than the sensible distance DM chose. After all, a tangle could result in a pike breaking free with trebles in its face.

Now all my respect for the EA over what I considered to be its sensitive handling of the PC case has evaporated - and I'm fuming. They've picked on one of the real good guys.

DM, if you're reading this, I'm with you all the way.

Fenboy

Nevertheless Mark, the law was broken, and it shouldn't have been. It is common practice on the Fens, that I accept. But it shouldn't have happened, no excuse.

It might be good enough for carpers but us pikers must lift ourselves above such things as minor indiscretions of this nature.

Fenboy. I agree, Dennis is a great bloke. But the law is the law, and Dennis knows that more than most of us. We can't pick and choose which laws we can and can't obey.

As you support Dennis others support Peter Collins. You can't have it both ways, and nor would I expect Dennis to want it to be otherwise.

Had Collins been cautioned and Dennis prosecuted then I agree, it would have been wrong.

[ 11. August 2004, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

fenboy:

Ironically, having rods TOO close together is in theory more damaging to pike than the sensible distance DM chose. After all, a tangle could result in a pike breaking free with trebles in its face.

Fenboy I'm not having a go at you here, but if using three or even four rods is damaging to to the fish, why use so many?

I use two rods, not because I'm too tight to buy a second licence, but I don't feel the need to hedge my bets by loading pegs with baited hooks. Your right it can be tricky if you have one on and another line in, which is another reason why I only use two.

This is where DM as you call him, has found it impractical, the difficulty of keeping within the law. I can see the point of it, in as much as the rods should be attended with the capability of a quick pickup, especially in the case of Pike.

I don't say that I agree with this one on the whole, as there doesn't seem to be a stipulation as to how far away the attendant angler must be from the furthest rod butt. Therefore he could be the same distance away from the nearest rod as this anglers rod spread was, from one end to the other.

Having said I don't agree with this law, I know it is there and I'm sure DM would have known it too and should have adhered to it. However as no actual harm was done at the time, unlike PC's action, I, at the risk of being accused of having double standards, feel that a caution was the most that he should have received.

One other point I would make about your comments is that, having read the various posts on the Collins debacle I fail to see where you get the idea that there was a call for his blood, rather dramatic, I think.

Most, but not all, were asking that he be brought to book and receive a suitable punishment. In the end it appears that having been responsible for the deaths of a number of fish, he got the same retribution as did DM, I see no reason why.

I used to fish with multiple rods - maximum four but usally two - but these days mostly stick to one. I know that in experienced hands more than two rods is usually safe, insofar as an experienced piker will reduce the number of rods he's using if sport gets hectic (commonsense).

These days I catch enough on one not to need more, on most occasions. Also, fishing just one and travelling light makes it easier to move on, which I think helps me catch more fish.

The whole PC/DM saga annoys me. The outcry for PC to be hit with the full weight of the law was crass, if not bloodthirsty, while the Dm issue was, I fear, politically motivated.

I suspect the EA took up the PC prosecution reluctantly, under pressure from predator anglers, then felt obliged to deal with DM equally to appease the anti-predator anglers.

I just wish neither had happened.

Fenboy

BUDGIE:

Mark,could it have been that carp anglers moved these rods further apart?

May I say, Mr. Burgess, that the above is nothing short of brilliant.

For a pike angler, of course.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.