Another view

tincatinca

Me too, despite giving my son a whack on the ass on one or two occassions. On those isolated occasions it only happened because I lost the plot.

I think thats the significant variable in this, adults resort to hitting after they have lost their temper.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately Emma, it would appear that you have no self control at all. You know the difference between one chiding smack on the legs and all out abuse on the child but don't trust yourself as you cannot decide whether or not you have the willpower to stop at one smack. That's why you come on so strong about anti-violence. We are so cossetted today with the things we can and cannot do!

You make a sweeping statement of YOU know several ways to stop a child without violence or resorting to threats or blackmail and then don't produce!!

Even the government, under pressure from the parents themselves had to back down and allow a smack "as long as it left no permanent mark!!!

Britain is more and more being told what is good for us "for our own sake" - this includes not approaching a dangerous situation in order to attempt to to save lives that are endangered!! Don't you think that MOST of us are adult enough to make our own decisions!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Unfortunately Emma, it would appear that you have no self control at all. You know the difference between one chiding smack on the legs and all out abuse on the child but don't trust yourself as you cannot decide whether or not you have the willpower to stop at one smack. That's why you come on so strong about anti-violence. We are so cossetted today with the things we can and cannot do!
No KB, because we don't believe that violence is necessary.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

i do! animal inflict pain to assert authority,animals of all kinds have a pecking order ,were just animals! forgetting that brings the trouble perhaps.

will a person who pinches your car not steal another if you ask nicely ,handing him over to a angry crowd with a rope most assuredly will,perhaps that small slap on the legs when he first did something bad may have worked no doubt the thinking the promises he made bailing him out from his first crime were true didnt

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I used to get knocked about quite a bit as a kid and it certainly taught me a valuable lesson:

Don't get caught! ;)

I remember playing splits with a sheath knife and having brick fights on bomb sites.

I also remember my mate catching polio and another friends family losing a baby to diphtheria

I had an accident 3 weeks ago and the treatment I received from the paramedics who attended to me was first class. It included collars, spinal boards and head huggers to immobilise my injured neck.

50 years ago there were no paramedics, the ambulance drivers were just drivers with basic first aid and they practiced a technique called "scoop and run"

In other words throw you into the back of the van and drive as fast as possible to hospital.

Would I have arrived alive? - doubtful, and if I survived the trip I would probably have been paralysed from the neck down. :huh:

The good old days?

You can keep them <_<

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I used to get knocked about quite a bit as a kid and it certainly taught me a valuable lesson:

Don't get caught! ;)

I remember playing splits with a sheath knife and having brick fights on bomb sites.

I also remember my mate catching polio and another friends family losing a baby to diphtheria

The good old days?

You can keep them <_<

not only dont get caught but never admit anything when you do ,theres a whole difference to a slap early on and being knocked about ,it shows the slap wasnt hard enough to remember or the slapee was too stupid to remember it and change their ways :D

changing their ways doesnt mean not doing it but balancing out what may happen if they dont ,consequences !!

when the slapee doesnt realise the consequences of their actions and carries on then the rope is the only solution ,the slapee cannot change thus will carry on anyway.

if a car theif was caught by you in the act of pinching your car would you wave your finger or beat the crap out of him? .the rope would ensure he wouldnt do it to you or anyone again a wag of the finger certainly wouldnt make any impression on him whatso ever ,"accidentally" breaking his arms may make him think twice but probably (as he's to far gone) will result in your car becoming a pile of ash and perhaps your house as well.pain and consequences early probably are better than the consequence of pain for their actions later! by then its to late only the rope can stop it the slapee hasnt found the consequences up to then are bad enough to think about stopping his actions.

whats the consequences once he's knicked your car?

being caught ,unlikely

being taken to court ? unlikely

prison? highly unlikely

fine ? pointless he'l find the money somewhere at a £ a month its easy

social worker :bigemo_harabe_net-163: just tell them what they want to hear and go back next week and do the same.

community punishment ,a place all your mates can see you getting off lightly weeding some old girls garden

put in hospital broken arms and kegs ? may work if he's young enough.

nothing else left!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Emma 2 and Corie, Just to clear something up - I am NOT in favour of violence - what I am in favour of is a quick slap or smack on the leg or hand.

A scenario that happened on my estate - a four year year old girl was facinated by the fire and put her hand out to touch it. The mother admonished her and explained that the fire would burn her. She then went to the loo, to hear screams from the living room. On rushing in found her daughter with third degree burns on her hand - Ambulance - hospital - scarred for life!

How much easier AND BETTER FOR THE CHILD is one smack on the leg which the child will immediately imprint that fire means pain if you touch it!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

i can remember to this day my mum burning me when slaps didnt change my love of playing with the fire ,i love fires :D

i think the enjoyment of playing with fire was less than the consequence of getting caught doing it ,perhaps a branding may have stopped it?

my old man was terrified of it (no joke) when you have a fire with 3 fire guards the heat doesnt really get to the room :D when he was at sea though the room got warm i played with fire

Edited by chesters1

Emma 2 and Corie, Just to clear something up - I am NOT in favour of violence - what I am in favour of is a quick slap or smack on the leg or hand.

A scenario that happened on my estate - a four year year old girl was facinated by the fire and put her hand out to touch it. The mother admonished her and explained that the fire would burn her. She then went to the loo, to hear screams from the living room. On rushing in found her daughter with third degree burns on her hand - Ambulance - hospital - scarred for life!

How much easier AND BETTER FOR THE CHILD is one smack on the leg which the child will immediately imprint that fire means pain if you touch it!

Bloody crap parenting skills, leaving a four year old alone in a room with a fire.

On the animal side of things, she has now learnt by experience. I bet the child won't do it again. For the sake of the child let's hope the mother has learnt just as valuable a lesson.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

i'm not sure it is bad parenting ,perhaps bad judgement.

i'm sure most kids learn by mistake more than verbal warnings ,our kids could use pressure heaters at a very early age and real fires (when we could afford coal) as well ,probably a % of kids get it wrong but left to their own devices the learning is self taught ,pain tends to imprint rather than words.

most modern kids dont have a danger aspect in their lives this in the main is far more dangerous imho

telling a kid fire burns has much less impression than a kid finding it does ,hopefully the burn isnt bad but it will be remembered far more than the warning it will.

most kids left to their own devices are far more resilient than modern parents realise and perhaps is bad parenting not to realise it.

a slap of warning in the main is understood by the kid some (like myself) didnt heed it most i expect did.

Edited by chesters1