Do you miss the old close season?

wayne baker

I forgot to mention another reason for not having a closed season at Wingham that would apply to a lot of other waters. If members are fishing it's much less likely that they'll be any vandalism or poaching, whether for sport or the pot.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a good point Steve. A lot of my club waters in north Essex That have a close seaon or some type of rest bite dont get a lot of attention from their bailiffs during the close season apart from the weekend work parties. Leaves them open for the less disireable attention.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

I saw, on the cover of the AT today, a bold headline which said that 78% of anglers support the abolition of the closed season.

That is typical of the reasons I despise the weeklies. It's inaccuracy verging on lies.

What they're saying is 78% of those who could be arsed to respond to a poorly worded and closed question regarding the abolition of the traditional closed season voted for it's abolition. Erm..forgive me for pointing out the arrogance and misrepresentation here, but 78% of the respondents to the poll doesn't mean 78% of anglers as a whole.

What it doesn't tell you is how many of the respondents were those with a vested interest for non-fishing reasons (magazine editors trying to get advertising revenues and even the advertisers themselves as a good start).

I am sorry, but 'ban the close season because we want it banned' isn't a good reason for doing it, hysterical headlines 'supported' by crap journalism doesn't really persuade people and the methodology of such sensationalist polls ought to be examined before it's given any credence. But I suppose if it sells rags then it must be OK.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Guest tigger
I forgot to mention another reason for not having a closed season at Wingham that would apply to a lot of other waters. If members are fishing it's much less likely that they'll be any vandalism or poaching, whether for sport or the pot.

Exactly right and even more so on the long stretches of rivers........out of sight, out of mind for 3 month (for most people that is).

Ger yer fly gear out Tigger and come and do some proper fishing!! :D

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I saw, on the cover of the AT today, a bold headline which said that 78% of anglers support the abolition of the closed season.

That is typical of the reasons I despise the weeklies. It's inaccuracy verging on lies.

What they're saying is 78% of those who could be arsed to respond to a poorly worded and closed question regarding the abolition of the traditional closed season voted for it's abolition. Erm..forgive me for pointing out the arrogance and misrepresentation here, but 78% of the respondents to the poll doesn't mean 78% of anglers as a whole.

What it doesn't tell you is how many of the respondents were those with a vested interest for non-fishing reasons (magazine editors trying to get advertising revenues and even the advertisers themselves as a good start).

I am sorry, but 'ban the close season because we want it banned' isn't a good reason for doing it, hysterical headlines 'supported' by crap journalism doesn't really persuade people and the methodology of such sensationalist polls ought to be examined before it's given any credence. But I suppose if it sells rags then it must be OK.

Totally agree with you Alan - in fact most informal polls that I see - usually on forums such as this come out with 50/50 score or even a slight majority for keeping the closed season. There's one currently running on the CEMEX site which is at 64% in favour of keeping it....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Guest tigger
Ger yer fly gear out Tigger and come and do some proper fishing!! :D

I waitin for my invite Alan......... ;):)

In theory I too agree with Dave, but it could get a bit too complicated.

The organisation, application, enforcement and cost would (I think) be a nightmare, if not nigh on impossible.

Each year would different. Each water, each area different, depending on that years weather, and the species present.

Clubs and individual anglers wouldn't know when or where they could fish with any certainty.

Not often I disagree with you John, but that is a load of cobblers :)

Australian, Canadian and USA waters have such a system as I described in my post. They have an active bunch of fishery enforcement officers who post the local rules and regs, and actually patrol waters to see it is carried out.

You are issued with a book on the regulations when you buy your licence. A rather thick one, but quite comprehensible.

Anglers in those countries seem to understand the different and complicated regs without much difficulty - there is even one stream in Colorado where on one stretch all brownies are to be removed, and on another stretch they all must be returned (good reasons for that which I won't go into).

Complicated - yes, but it works - or are you saying it won't work here because British anglers are more stupid than their "colonial" counterparts ?

(on second thoughts, don't answer that :rolleyes: )

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I won't go into my thoughts on many of todays anglers Dave, I think you know them already. ;)

I think it would be too difficult to enforce these regs, we have enough trouble trying to enforce the ones we have at present.

If the waters in the South warm up quicker than up here, and the spawning is earlier, so that the waters are open earlier. Would the Southern anglers take kindly to an invasion from oop North?

I know when Yorkshire had our 'stolen fortnight' and opened on June 1st, you could hardly move on some waters because of anglers from outside the area.

I don't think that any of the countries you mention have a match scene like we do, (correct me if I'm wrong). Many matches are booked a year or more in advance, this would be impossible if you didn't know which waters would be open.

Then there's the temperamental British weather. The whole angling scene would be entirely dependant on it. How many times have you seen fish getting ready to spawn, only for the weather to change for a couple of weeks, and the whole thing stops and then starts again?

No, sorry Dave, I couldn't see it working here, I think we have a different ethos when it comes to angling matters.

Oh, and if you want some shoes mending, just let me know. :P;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John