Winter Tips

Elton

Okay, now winter is definitely approaching, let's hear some of the ways that you keep warm and dry, as well as taking care of your tackle.

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I spend ridiculous amounts of time bivvied up in freezing conditions, but with pre planning there is no need to get cold. I wear plenty of layers of clothes, I also sleep under a duvet as well as in my sleeping bag. And i wouldnt be without my 2 hot water bottles! They are superb, i put one in the sleeping bag and one on top under the duvet. And lastly and most importantly a very very hot Vindaloo! Seriousley! they really keep you warm. Although the bivvy is rotten in the morning! :P

SunGas make a Parabolic Heater that screws onto a standard gas bottle, last Saturday night it was 40ºF I fired up the heater and placed it in the porch of my Chub bivvy with the door zipped down on one side and velcro'd down on the other and 20 minutes later It was 50ºF (Combats and T-shirt time!!) Pukka!!

Available from all good camping shops for £17.99

WARNING..........DO NOT FALL ASLEEP WITH ONE OF THESE ON OR LEAVE IT UNATTENDED. (could be dangerous)

quote:

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, coincidence?

pokey joe:

Put a candle in your bivvy on a night with the door zipped down.You will be amazed how much warmth comes from them.not the stove,danger of fumes. :D

Dont go putting a candle in your bivy if you have taken p eye's advice and had a vindaloo. You'll blow yourself into orbit! :D

Regards

Ed 'Herefords bagging machine'

www.kingfisher-club.vze.com

Sundridge Sleepskin, absolutely awsome piece of kit. Worn next to the skin, I keeps you lovely and toasty. I was amazed at how warm I was first time I wore one.

The number one tip has to be a nice warm hat, something like a Thinsulate beanie. The sleepskin comes with a nice snug hood too.

Be very careful with candles inside you bivvy. I saw a bivvy go up in flames one night. It was burnt to the ground in about 5 seconds. Fortunately the angler escaped with minor burns. The fool was changing a gas bottle while he had another stove allready lit. Fortunatley he was in the door of his bivvy at the time and not zipped into his sleeping bag.

Best candles are the nightlight types and you can cut a large tin can to shape to make a lantern. The shiny metal insides will reflect more heat and light and keep the candle in a safe housing.

Singy

[ 25. October 2002, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: singy ]

Paul Singleton

Can't add much here other than don't worry about taking extra water and milk for hot drinks.

The persperation of carry it is worth it on those cold nights !

One other thing, remember to take a radio. OK it doesn't make you any warmer but with the clocks changing listening to it makes the time go quicker so you don't seem as cold for so long :D

Cheers

Andy

ANMC Member, Go on you want to too !

a 1949 american mountain sleeping bag ,the bivvy stinks as soon as its unrolled despite being aired every use,but it does say "do not dryclean" on the lable and being feather you cannot "wet" clean it ,very warm but wiffy been to -18 in it without probs :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

p eye:

I spend ridiculous amounts of time bivvied up in freezing conditions, but with pre planning there is no need to get cold. I wear plenty of layers of clothes, I also sleep under a duvet as well as in my sleeping bag. And i wouldnt be without my 2 hot water bottles! They are superb, i put one in the sleeping bag and one on top under the duvet. And lastly and most importantly a very very hot Vindaloo! Seriousley! they really keep you warm. Although the bivvy is rotten in the morning! :P

You can always keep warm lugging all this stuff about. How ever long does it take you to set up or pack up, a week?

You mention your hotties where do you get the hot water from, your loins?