poxy BT

chesters1

our phone went off for over a day last week (you may have missed me ) i reported the fault via next doors phone :rolleyes:

first there was minutes of button pressing to tell the "robot" i had a fault then another 15 waiting to tell a human so they could confirm it :mad:

came back on friday noisy phone ,had a phone call from a foreign person telling me the fault was found on the bt network ,later in the afternoon i check my internet connection i find that the fastest i can connect to internet is 34k :mad: i went through the fault process once more ,monday engineer comes out ,he cant test line as it goes through a huge leylandi hedge 100yards away ,said he would contact his boss so a cradle vehical can check ,later phonecall comes from another foreign sounding person that the fault had been found on the bt network :confused: i explain the faults still there :mad:

later someone phones up asking me if i had a fault ,i said noisy phone slow connection and he confirmed it was a noisy line :)

tuesday engineer comes out i show hedge he says someone went up and checked it :confused: (no-one did) anyway phones his boss up after doing the usual remote line check ,he then tells me unless my internet connection goes below 25k then the line is considered ok ,later a foreign person tells me the fault has been found on the bt network!!!

can it be a crafty ploy by bt to force users to go broadband i have had a flurry of adverts for it by phone at night :mad: via email and via post hhhhhmmmm

its still noisy and 34k is still the fastest i can connect and it hangs frequently

[ 10. February 2005, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

ok it hung and i posted twice :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Want me (or one of the other mods) to delete one of the threads chesters? :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I was on BT dial up and never got more than 40kps, have gone to BT Broadband basic for a couple of quid more and its brill! apart from the half hour chat with a chap from india setting up the basic email service, from which I now have a £1.50 direct debit a month for the pleasure, must cost more to collect it! the broadband gets charged to the normal BT account aparently! still 576 kps every time!!

dan

[ 10. February 2005, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Dan ]

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Dump BT, they disconnect you if

1. no activity for 2 hours,

2. 2 hours have passed.

Total junk service.

I moved to Telewest Broadband, no complaints (odd service interruption if someone digs up the road somewhere, usually sorted quickly): PC is on 20/24 with multiple users (the brood), no problems.

Stuff BT.

576Kbs is the hardware speed the line connects at, and is always the same.

The actual speed you get can be affected by lots of different things,

Contention, (You Broadband is a shared connection)

Congestion on your ISPs network, congestion on the speedtest server (or any of the "hops" between your ISP and the test server)

If you are using a USB modem your connection can even slow down if your own PC is heavilly loaded.

The speeds reported by these testers often don't take "packet overhead" into account, up to 10% of your bandwidth can be used up in routing and signalling infomation, Your speed of 460Kbs is a perfectly normal line, if one of my customers was complaining about that speed I'd politely tell them to get lost!

The speed tester at www.adslguide.org.uk is a nice one, it makes estimates at the real speed including overheads, so might give you a better idea!

Mat

Mat