AT helping the EA to knock the last few nails in?

lutra

Exactly Steve. Take away the right to take fish and we take away the right to fish at all. I can't understand why people don't realise this.

Perhaps it's to do with the way angling has become sanitized. Angling (freshwater) these days seems to be dominated by pay and flay pools with the closest that anglers get to wanting to eat their catch is by calling them pasties.

The traditional 'natural' water fishing has taken a back seat over the past three decades (not that I'm complaining, the quality of fishing has benefitted....he says in a selfish way). It's just that now all of the rags like AT and the tackle industry seems to have pushed it as the standard. Anglers get sickeningly anthropomorphic about 'their' fish (Benson and Hedges etc) and would no more deal them a swift clout with a priest than fillet their children for a barbecue. Woe betide the individual who casually mentions the tasty perch supper he had the evening before :(

As for native wildlife being partial to the odd exhausted carp that's trying to rest after the ninth landing of the day I'll say no more!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly Steve. Take away the right to take fish and we take away the right to fish at all. I can't understand why people don't realise this. Unless there are loads of intelligent, qualified, articulate, media-savvy anglers I don't know about ready and waiting to defend our pastime under the glare of studio lights?

Anyone? :rolleyes:

Keith Arthur???????? :D

I've come to the conclusion that we are more or less 'preaching to the converted'. On every forum I've looked in on, only the same few names have enough interest to try and debate anything like this. Which ever side they are on, it's always the same half dozen or so that say anything.

It seems the rest either aren't interested, have no opinion either way, just accept what the 'names' say as gospel, or are so brainwashed they are incapable of independant thought.

The last couple of options seems to fit in with the way many approach their angling these days. Find out what's being caught, how and what on, then do the same. Don't bother to adapt, or try something new, just fish by numbers.

I'll have to try and get to the waters edge soon, I think the frustration's starting to get to me. (have we got a steam coming from ears, smiley?)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

So far i've watched from the benches as i dont tend to get into political debates.

To take or not to take is the question.

The big questions isnt really this though.

If we give up our rights to take one for the pot or a few small live baits whats next. Personally i dont do either but thats my choice. I'm not a fan of the EA or the angling rags i think both are pushing our sport to the abyss where we will be allowed only to fish commercial waters. Our big problem is were fighting on to many fronts . True or untrue Otters, Eastern Europeans Water Extraction, Poachers for the live bait .Rights to roam by canoeists Close seasons. Many of our Angling clubs are struggling under reduced membership and a lot have seperated from the NFA. I dont know what the answers are, the only thing i realise is that in twenty years we could all be taking up golf.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

So far i've watched from the benches as i dont tend to get into political debates.

To take or not to take is the question.

The big questions isnt really this though.

If we give up our rights to take one for the pot or a few small live baits whats next. Personally i dont do either but thats my choice. I'm not a fan of the EA or the angling rags i think both are pushing our sport to the abyss where we will be allowed only to fish commercial waters. Our big problem is were fighting on to many fronts . True or untrue Otters, Eastern Europeans Water Extraction, Poachers for the live bait .Rights to roam by canoeists Close seasons. Many of our Angling clubs are struggling under reduced membership and a lot have seperated from the NFA. I dont know what the answers are, the only thing i realise is that in twenty years we could all be taking up golf.

And the fighting at all fronts is always started by the angling rags who don't seem to be able to restrict themselves to talking about angling. The sensationalist headlines wind up a lot of 'non-thinkers' into supporting sensational ways of destroying angling!

One of the 'gold', 'expert' 'moderators' on the AT forum doesn't even seem to be aware that national EA byelaws prevent the transport of freshwater bait fish (live or dead) from one water to another! Is he AT staff?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Take away the right to take fish and we take away the right to fish at all. I can't understand why people don't realise this.

Nor can I, but a couple of years or so back there were plenty on this forum ready to condemn eating coarse fish. We hear little from them now, but I fear they and their ilk have already damaged angling's cause.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Nor can I, but a couple of years or so back there were plenty on this forum ready to condemn eating coarse fish. We hear little from them now, but I fear they and their ilk have already damaged angling's cause.

So with a couple of years to play with its been possible to educate the do gooders on AN. Now for the rest of angling, but sadly i fear it may take a little longer and time we haven't got as the wheels have started to turn. In fact i think the EA & 2 AT's are hoping to make a quick drag race of it. :angry:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

So with a couple of years to play with its been possible to educate the do gooders on AN.

I was pondering this very same thing only the other night mate.Is it so or is it simply that on this site the people who do still disagree with our opinion simply dont bother? Dont seem to get the same level of participation from across the membership as we used to on any subject.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I was pondering this very same thing only the other night mate.Is it so or is it simply that on this site the people who do still disagree with our opinion simply dont bother? Dont seem to get the same level of participation from across the membership as we used to on any subject.

No, I'll happily admit to having my opinion changed by some of the more sensible posters on the forum. There's a lot of knowledge and experience on here and only a fool would ignore it.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.