wallis casting

Guest bbamboo

Hello Tiddlertamer I have not stated that the Conquest underperforms it does in fact perform adequately but frankly no better than other reels from much lower price brackets.

There are those who would buy the blessed thing simply becaues it has the Hardy stamp on it this can sometimes be in part an eye to the future when it comes time to re-sell the the reel as traditionally Hardy's stuff does seem to do well on the collectors market.

It is possible that these might do the same in many years time, though I somehow feel that if I was buying as an investment I would probably look in the direction of a Chris Lythe reel or a Richard Carter reel I own a couple of Carters a six spoke and a twelve spoke but sadly neither of mine will ever be worth much as they are both engraved with presented to me on the back unless I become famous!! which I doubt infamy is more likely my fate! I don't own a Lythe reel cause I would cry if I dropped it....and I am clumsy!

So to return to my original point there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the Hardy reel per se But I find them overpriced for what they really are chinese imports and I have some element of distaste for the way they were marketed and as I said before the three handle thing I personally find a turn off.

To answer Toady's question the answer is a plain bearing reel of true centerpin action and nothing wrong with that as such but it goes to show that you have to learn to interpret the marketing Bullsh*t to get to the truth.

To be honest had they said we have made a nice plain bearing true centerpin actioned reel they wouldn't feel as justified in charging the sort of silly money they want for it

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, i am in no way experienced in or perfected centrepin use but have become a bit of a collectaholic, (if thats a word), recently. However having a chance to visit the house of Hardy this year I had a good occasion to check out the Marksman rods and Hardy centrepin.

I currently use the BJ Lightweight, Purist, Rapidex and Trudex. Incidently I taught myself to wallis cast with the Rapidex even though it is caged, this probably explains my flamboyant style.

The lightweight is my favourite so i compared the hardy to this as I also took it with me to try on their rods. The result was I didnt buy it. These are my thoughts on it.

The three handles are essential for the balance for the so called gyroscopic effect and it did spin beautifully. However I was really put off by the plastic components. It just didn't feel right for the price. Also, the ratchet system is simular to the lightweight, with the lever, but in one position it dissapears flush with the reel edge. I pointed out to the sales team that this was an excellent idea but for some reason it did so with the ratchet engaged. My one bind with the lightweight is line getting round this when trotting and casting. If they had it operating the other way and made it a sensible price I would of brought one.

Concerning rods I have read reviews of the marksman that says they need more eyes. I wanted the 14 foot model and after buying it found, when comparing to other rods, that it did seem to be lacking in eyes. I have yet to use it in heavy rain or wind but, after spending a session getting the feel of it, I have found it to be an exceptional rod. I do believe it is overpriced but then I managed to get an unused ex-demo rod, still with life time warrenty, for under half price. On the same day I picked up a greys prodigy 13-15ft float rod for £45 so it was a worthwhile trip and the area makes an excellent holiday location.

I have been to the house of hardy 3 times now and the service is always exceptional. I also got my Barbel rod top section replaced without the usual admin fee as I took it into the shop. They also let people try the tackle which with the costs involved should be a given. I set the rod up with the reel i took and tried their own aswell to compare balance etc.

Incidently i have recently brought an alcocks match aerial which is excellent, a greys bewick(gone to santa) and have ordered the Chris lythe long trotter and Ajp Delux which will hopefully reach me for my 40th next year. The Scrotton long trotter has my perferred measurements comparing the lightweight and the Aerial, i am just a little concerned that I would prefer drum spool to pins. Perhaps I should do a review comparing all the reels some time. I have looked at the Okumas but they just dont seem to feel right, perhaps I am becoming a centrepin snob.

What I would like to ask, and it is a question unanswered on this topic, is whether there is a specific rod pattern/ ring pattern which works well with pins for Wallis casting. I am thinking of having a rod made and want one designed for long trotting and wallis casting so information on best blanks, eyes, eye spacing, length and type of tip section would all be appreciated.

I have looked at the Okumas but they just dont seem to feel right, perhaps I am becoming a centrepin snob.

I have several centrepins and some of them are quite well know and expensive. In my opinion the okumas are as good as any of them... I think they feel great, there well made and do there job perfectly and for the price are unbeatable.

Hi Tigger,

Yes I understand what you were saying. The okumas I looked at seemed well made, looked good, great value and felt good but were not my choice. The aerial is my first plain bearing and somehow just feels better ( as long as you keep it horizontal). The uses I would have for the okumas are already covered by my youngs models.

Incidently i forgot to mention before, with the Hardy, I cannot see why Gyroscopic effect would be required and it seems that they are trying to sell it on the 'it spins for ever' hype. Balance smoothness and other mechanical properties I can understand.

Barbelarmy asked "what I would like to ask, and it is a question unanswered on this topic, is whether there is a specific rod pattern/ ring pattern which works well with pins for Wallis casting. I am thinking of having a rod made and want one designed for long trotting and wallis casting so information on best blanks, eyes, eye spacing, length and type of tip section would all be appreciated."

The short answer is NO ...I have a preference for wider rings especially when using heavier lines when trotting for barbel but there are rods already on the market that cater for this. Just use the rods you are already happy with...Honestly you really don't need to be driving yourself daft thinking there must be some sort of holy grail that will bring about some form of hitherto undreamed of wallis casting perfection.

I can when called on to do so cast some huge distances..............But in the real world of angling you rarely need to do so, the Show Off ranges are usually just that, tricks I pull at shows and demos I very rarely fish at those sorts of ranges it's only occasionally on stillwaters when ledgering that I might use these skills. for 99.9999999999% of my river fishing I like everybody else stay within the distances that I can control the float at.

To return to the Show Off Casts I do them with exactly the same gear that I am using to teach those who come to learn I have no secret stash of magic rods and reels as with so many of these skills it's the driver and not the carriage!

I'm sure that some of those who have been with me on the demos will bear me out on this one.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Hi Tigger,

Yes I understand what you were saying. The okumas I looked at seemed well made, looked good, great value and felt good but were not my choice. The aerial is my first plain bearing and somehow just feels better ( as long as you keep it horizontal). The uses I would have for the okumas are already covered by my youngs models.

Incidently i forgot to mention before, with the Hardy, I cannot see why Gyroscopic effect would be required and it seems that they are trying to sell it on the 'it spins for ever' hype. Balance smoothness and other mechanical properties I can understand.

I think Hardys have tried to catch peoples eyes with their design more than with their performance and it seems to have back fired on them. I would much prefer the greys bewick than the hardys centrepin and it has a much more realistic price tag.

I think Hardys have tried to catch peoples eyes with their design more than with their performance and it seems to have back fired on them. I would much prefer the greys bewick than the hardys centrepin and it has a much more realistic price tag.

I think that the look, performance and feel of the Hardys Marksman rods and Conquest reels are really quite coolio. I know that Hardys is far from cheap and Okuma and other reels may well be the choice of many.

But the more I use it, the more I am beginning to understand and enjoy the Conquest (and the direct feel of a centrepin) reel. It may be a coincidence as I have tried very few other set ups. (The only other reel I've been lucky enough to use was a Bob James reel and it was really rather good)

I am of course (or should that be coarse :) unexperienced in the art of centrepin fishing. )

But I find the 4" Hardys Conquest centrepin and 13 foot Hardys Marksmen rod to be a rather balanced and lovely way of fishing.

It may be that I regret these words in future but up until now I have experienced a really sympathetic customer service from Hardys.

I have no interest in promting Hardys I should add. They are expensive. But they have been very helpful to me and, although my wallet is now creaking a bit, I did discover fishing gear which really made sense.

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Anyone in the Durham area could show me how to wallis cast.

Thanks GARY

I don`t find casting the joy(I can`t lol),its the ease in which you control your float and bait once its in the water that makes a pin so special.It just goes with the flow.

I only use it when the mood takes me,fun for tench too.

It may be that I regret these words in future but up until now I have experienced a really sympathetic customer service from Hardys.

The thing is if the gear is good quality from Hardys then you should never need their customer service and it seems to me that many have. Regarding being sympathetic...well so they should be for the money they charge !

Tiddletamer, I'm glad you like your rod and reel and I hope they carry on functioning for you.

A bit off topic, but I can understand both Tigger's and TT's views. When in comes to pins I am one of the lucky (unlucky?) ones who is interesting only in performance and low cost, and have no urge to buy loads of them or an expensive one. However, I certainly understand the special feeling of owning and using a beautiful and expensive item of tackle. With me, it's my little Orvis fly rod. For what I use it for, any cheap short rod would do in terms of function, but it still makes me feel tingly whenever I pull it out of its little green rod tube B)

I hope I can keep my pin sanity. Some of the distant yet dangerously focussed eyes I was foolish to look into at Timsbury frightened me...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music