Big Bang

The Flying Tench

As I understand it astrophysisists are pretty clear the big bang happened. Now, apparently the nuclear force pushing the matter out and the gravitational force pulling it back had to be very finely balanced. Otherwise matter would have zoomed out into space without stars being formed, or it would have all gone back into a dense pinhead. The amazing thing is that the accuracy with which these forces had to be balanced for stars, and life, to form was 1 in 10 to the power 60!

What is your explanation of how it came to be that the forces were so well balanced? Was it luck? Of course you know what 'bible bashers' like me think!

john clarke

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it astrophysisists are pretty clear the big bang happened. Now, apparently the nuclear force pushing the matter out and the gravitational force pulling it back had to be very finely balanced. Otherwise matter would have zoomed out into space without stars being formed, or it would have all gone back into a dense pinhead. The amazing thing is that the accuracy with which these forces had to be balanced for stars, and life, to form was 1 in 10 to the power 60!

What is your explanation of how it came to be that the forces were so well balanced? Was it luck? Of course you know what 'bible bashers' like me think!

Something happened, because something exists. Although Descartes has been somewhat discredited, we know that much.

The only explanation I can offer is that what happened, happened. And that we can measure certain things that can explain certain parts of it. I am sure that in future we will be able to measure other things that will make a mockery of what we currently understand.

I used to stay awake at night, wondering about all this. I went to university to study philosophy, literature and religion, and that made it worse. I really do not know. I do not have faith. But I do believe that, in this context, 'luck' is irrelevant. It is what it is because it is. We can work backwards to a point and try to decifer the maths, but eventually we always come back to a point where maths fades into faith.

Everything is so well balanced because what exists now is as perfect as it is currently possible to be.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The big bang is still only based on theory as is your religeon.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Anthropic principle.

Things appear "just right" because if they were any other way, we wouldn't be here to observe them.

I'm not really big on cosmology but you could postulate that there were an almost infinate number of "failed" expansions in an almost infinate number of possible universes before an expansion occurred that was as finly balanced as the one that we can observe.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The big bang is still only based on theory as is your religeon.

Cheers Fred

Please explain what you mean by "only based on theory"? What theory is there in religion. Which religion has research labatories trying to make predictions based on any theories?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Please explain what you mean by "only based on theory"? What theory is there in religion. Which religion has research labatories trying to make predictions based on any theories?

The theory that there is/was a god, i''m sure you know what i mean but if you want to be picky and pedantic feel free.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

The theory that there is/was a god, i''m sure you know what i mean but if you want to be picky and pedantic feel free.

Cheers Fred

I wasn't talking about the religion side, I was asking what you mean when you say that the Big Bang Theory is "only a theory". What do you mean when you say "only a theory". I'm not being picky or pedantic, I would just like you to say what you mean by "only a theory". Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Seems to me to be like the observation that were my neck any shorter than the precise distance between my head and my shoulders, my head would fall off - and that by similar coincidence, my legs are exactly long enough to reach the ground!

If you consider the number of improbable events which lead to each of us being here and as we are - from the decisions and influences that have shaped our own lives, from the meeting of particular sperm and egg with their particular unique recombinations of our parents' DNA, to the probability that our parents met and fell in love, and were who they were, and that they inherited the particular genetic material they did from their parents, and so on, back through an unimaginable permutation of possible alternative outcomes, it becomes clear that the probability of this exact conversation taking place between these people at this time was vanishingly small. It was just one of an unimaginable number of possible outcomes, only significant in that it is the one that actually happened.

Who can say that people like you are wrong? No one can come to terms with infinity and that is how the time the space containing the universe is measured. If we can't come to terms with that, and if we can't understand just how the universe happened or know how many times it has happened, how can we deride the beliefs of others?

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

i'v a theory the universe didnt start with a bang and i'v just as much hard evidence as those that do.ok 50-50 it did or it didnt

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson