Give me one good reason why

poledark

Why do we have to be licensed to go fishing.

Water quality in rivers is a statuary requirement so we don't need to pay for that.

Maintenance of waterways is again, not the responsibility of anglers.

Maintaining good stocks of food for Grebes/herons and Otters is not the responsibilty of anglers.

I really cannot think of one good reason why I should be deemed a criminal and fined hundreds of pounds simply for doing a bit of fishing. Must be about the least harmful thing a man can do.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you in principle Den - the argument I have come to accept, though, is that while the good work the EA fisheries department does should in theory be funded centrally, in practice it wouldn't be.

Why do we have to be licensed to go fishing

Same reason you have to have a license to own a dog or a television set ... big nanny sees people having fun so they decide they want a slice of the action. It's all ****** of course, the right to fish on our waterways should be covered by income tax contributions.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Why do we have to be licensed to go fishing.

It's simple really, it's to pay the wages of the man who comes around to check our licence. :rolleyes:

Dog licences were scrapped over 20 years ago andy.

It's just another stealth tax. As Andy Youngs says, if the goverment see people having fun they know there's money to be had.

just wouldn't get a rod licence then the goverment would be totaly fukced.

Because when a horrendous pollution incident occurs on your club lake, it's the EA who come out and deal with it, and when the DO levels on your club lake drop to dangerous levels, it's the EA who come out and deal with it, and when a river is polluted and there's a terrible fish kill, it's the EA who restock it, and the EA can't do any of that without some money.

But to be honest if those aren't good enough reasons and you think it's the nanny state or wooly liberals, or whatever, hunting you down and shaking the change from your pocket (incidentally, how much do your club books cost, and how much money on petrol and bait do you spend a year?) just don't buy one, because even if you get caught and fined, over a lifetime you'll still be in pocket, and you'll be sticking it to the man.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Because when a horrendous pollution incident occurs on your club lake, it's the EA who come out and deal with it, and when the DO levels on your club lake drop to dangerous levels, it's the EA who come out and deal with it, and when a river is polluted and there's a terrible fish kill, it's the EA who restock it, and the EA can't do any of that without some money.

Not quite right Anderoo, my local river has had a major pollution incident and the EA have done bugger all and have said they have no intensions of re stocking the river. I know of other waters locally where the very same has happend. I recently reported a pollution incident and they told me they'd give me feed back and inform me of what's happend, guess what....they've never even bothered to contact me ! :rolleyes:

Just don't buy a licence then Tigger.

To be honest Andrew I wouldn't but being a bailif for one of the countries top angling clubs it wouldn't look to good me not having one.