Give me one good reason why

poledark

err bailiffs tend to check permits all the time thats why their called bailiffs ,anyone asking me to prove i was a member who wasn't a bailiff would be told to bugger of and mind their own business.

do you ask to see driving licences when your in a car park on behalf of DVLA? :huh

obviously your the nosy type ,i do it on behalf of the club not for my own amusement or power trip ,they give me a free permit (which this season hasnt been used for nearly a month) i collect numbers for them whether i use it at all is up to me but its a fine excuse to get out of the house for a while each day knowing the mrs wont come out just to sit in the car whilst i "waffle" to the odd angler in fact its the only place i can go out by myself ,24/7 is difficult even for thick skinned chesters1

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

err bailiffs tend to check permits all the time thats why their called bailiffs ,anyone asking me to prove i was a member who wasn't a bailiff would be told to bugger of and mind their own business.

do you ask to see driving licences when your in a car park on behalf of DVLA? :huh

obviously your the nosy type ,i do it on behalf of the club not for my own amusement or power trip ,they give me a free permit (which this season hasnt been used for nearly a month) i collect numbers for them whether i use it at all is up to me but its a fine excuse to get out of the house for a while each day knowing the mrs wont come out just to sit in the car whilst i "waffle" to the odd angler in fact its the only place i can go out by myself ,24/7 is difficult even for thick skinned chesters1

EH?

with respect Chesters I still don't know what you are getting at. Maybe you should have a cup of tea but leave out the whisky this time ;)

Dave, you are never likely to be on my ignore list...actually no one is at the moment...perhaps I should look into that :)

Tigs, We have a couple of old boys acting as bailiffs who don't fish at all. But it "gets them out of the house" for a chat. I expect I will end up like that :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Tigs, We have a couple of old boys acting as bailiffs who don't fish at all. But it "gets them out of the house" for a chat. I expect I will end up like that :)

Den

Maybe Den, but lets hope that's many many moons from now bud eh ;):D

Or even on here all day :) :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Dave, you are never likely to be on my ignore list...actually no one is at the moment...perhaps I should look into that :)

Den

I don't believe you will ever give up your roller blades and skate board... :wheelchair: ... :bigemo_harabe_net-183: ... :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

However what nobody has addressed yet is what the EA are actually doing with our money, whether it be derived from the exchequer or the angling license.

see: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...ing/106684.aspx

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

if clubs insisted all members had licences its easy enough to refuse selling a permit until the purchaser bought a licence thus putting the onus on the club rather than a bailiff

There is a point here isn't there. If it was a rule that every club, association, day ticket, whatever, had to check for a rod licence beforehand what would everyone think of that?

The EA bailiff could then come round and just check the procedures were in place, and then if they thought it were necessary, do a spot check of anglers on the bank. Not sure I agree with this, but if we are going to have it, then everyone should pay it. If we have what we have now, where less than 50% buy one, then surely the system needs a shake up?

If everyone paid, it might even get some more work done.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

There is a point here isn't there. If it was a rule that every club, association, day ticket, whatever, had to check for a rod licence beforehand what would everyone think of that?

The EA bailiff could then come round and just check the procedures were in place, and then if they thought it were necessary, do a spot check of anglers on the bank. Not sure I agree with this, but if we are going to have it, then everyone should pay it. If we have what we have now, where less than 50% buy one, then surely the system needs a shake up?

If everyone paid, it might even get some more work done.

I would not have a problem with showing a licence in order to buy a ticket.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Based on a bit of a google search, some knowlegde of running costs and experience of being a Manager I've just calcuated this lot. It's probably wrong, and I don't think the statistics of river lenght etc. are correct (I think there's more), and I guessed what their salary would be. I have calculated absed on everyoner only buying a coarse licence (which clearly isn't the case) and I've not included, pension costs, Managers, telephone, etc. and I've only done England. Anyway, it's a start and here it is ! Perhaps someone (anyone frankly - this is not may area of expertise) more mathematically, or business minded can do a better job. I have heard lots of shouts for the EA to do their job properly. With the cash currently raised by the rod licences there just isn't enough.

Either way, even with the above caveats on the calculations I don't think it raises anywhere near enough cash to be able to check all waterways, and have some left over for river improvements etc..

150,000 miles of waterway and channel in the uk.

34, 000 km in England.

300 lakes (over 5ha) in England.

1.3million rod licenses @ £26 = 1300000 x 26.00 = £33,800,000 income.

Cost of Bailiffs

285 bailiffs in the UK mostly part time and around 60 full time. £25k x 142.50 (assuming that the part time staff are there 50% of the time) = £142.50 x 25, 000 = £3,562,500.

A lease car each (for full time only) @ (say) 20,000 miles pa = approximately £7,040 each pa = 60 x 7040 = £422,400 + mleage costs for non-lease car staff - I can't be bothered about (say 20, 000 each @ (say) 0.45p per mile).

Assuming that 20 miles of river can be done in one day (unlikely).

170 days per annum per member of staff (allowing for training, sick, holiday and wasted time e.g meetings, briefings) = 170 x 142.50 = 24, 225 days = 0.7 bailiff per length of waterway (without counting lakes) e.g. not enough!

That leaves around £26,500,000 (approx) in the kitty to spend on river and canal water quality and prosecutions, roughly £779 per kilometre.

This sounds like a lot, but I've not counted lakes and I've also not included all costs of offices, other running costs, presentations, bureaucracy, the actual costs of the licences themselves, etc. and this is just England.

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."