Health & Safety Police

Elton

I think he just says that to wind up the statisticians amongst us ;)
Well it works on me and stats isn't my strong point, but I can get my head around probability theory, at least half the time ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it all boils down to 50 50 ,doesnt matter what the odds are it ends up 50-50 on the day ,right place at the right time is just the opposite of wrong place at the wrong time but its still 50-50 .

you can have a million to one against something but in the end the odds are right or the odds are wrong ,i may go out and get hit by a bird ,i may not but theres someone out there that will ,if they dont go out the bird wont hit them so its 50-50 they go out ,we cant predict the future and the odds are just average risk but **** happens and **** doesnt happen you just maybe an unlucky person whose decisions (all 50-50 as we cannot predict the future nor plan for unseen events) end up with more **** happening but its still 50-50 the decision that effects them.

what was the odds of the jet at lockerbie landing on your house ? it still boils down to it hit your house or you were lucky it didnt.

it starts in the womb your mums egg was fertilised or it wasnt ,from then on it 50-50 you get out of the womb right through life till you die ,you will die in your sleep you may not ,it could be a tuesday it may not ,you maybe alone you may not.

you can act according to odds all your life but in the end its a simple decision you take or not take that makes things happen for good or for bad.

odds are for gamblers dont spoil your life on what iffs or maybe's ,**** happens or it doesnt

dont confuse odds with common sense ,walking on hot coals can get you burned (simple logic and physics) but its still ends up 50-50 if i try ,i may i may not! see its easy

plenty of people try and get burned plenty try and not get burned but it was that 50-50 decision that counted

i leave my front door and i may go left or right things then revolve around that decision ,could go straight forward you say ,not so try walking in a straight line even in the country you will go left or you will go right :P

the odds of ice from an aircraft hitting your house are very low but a persons house got hit by a bit of ice the house next door did not why are the odds different for 2 houses next door to each other? they are not **** happened to one house it didnt to the other ?the decision goes back to the person who built the house they built it or they didnt ,the council gave them planning or they did not etc etc etc

life is just decisions one effecting the next you cannot predict a decision 4 decisions in the future so why try ,just except its 50-50 or not the decisions 50-50 you will believe its 50-50 or 50-50 you wont

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Sorry mate but it's down to LIFE! If it is written in the sands of time it will happen and if not it will not!

So that will be 50, 50 then???

Ah sod off :P :P :P

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• 2 weeks later...
Why do we pander do these people? Can't the UK just collectively tell them to sod off! :angry:

Greetings, :)

In terms of H&S regulations, I've just had my eyes opened today, Monday 9th August, with the effects of the Health & Safety Regs. <_<

We've just had SKY HD installed & the installer, a nice bloke, had to get onto our garage flat roof to access the SKY aerial. The height from ground level to the flat roof deck will be no more than 8'6" tops, but the bloke said "I'll have to drill your wall for the ladder anchor". <_<

I hadn't first idea what he was talking about & I thought he was having me on. Not so, serious he was, evidently the H&S rules state that all ladders have be securely anchored, even when you're only 'going up' 9 feet off a hard bottom.

Whatever happened to common sense in this once great country of ours. Political Correctness & silly H&S rules, who are these dreadful people who peddle such rubbish? :angry:

Regards,

H

http://news.scotsman.com/news/Health-amp-S...ders.6438565.jp

There are no HSE rules concerning ladder anchor points. They just say ladders should be well supported.

The installers Health and Safety rules may well say that ladders need anchor points. That would be the decision they have come to following a risk assesment, but nothing to do with HSE

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

There are no HSE rules concerning ladder anchor points. They just say ladders should be well supported.

The installers Health and Safety rules may well say that ladders need anchor points. That would be the decision they have come to following a risk assesment, but nothing to do with HSE

Greetings 'Sportsman' :)

Thank you for the clarification re. 'ladder anchors'.

Regards, :)

H ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Why do we pander do these people? Can't the UK just collectively tell them to sod off! :angry:

http://news.scotsman.com/news/Health-amp-S...ders.6438565.jp

Greetings, ;)

I hear what you say & you're correct, but please don't get me going on those b*****ds at the Health & Safety Exexutive!! Watched I did an 'archaelogical dig program' the other night, the volunteers were working on Roman settlement remains in N.E. England. Can someone please tell me why they were obliged to wear safety helmets when they on their hands & knees digging down a maximum 600mm.

Before someone asks, the only thing above them was the sky.

Come back common sense, all is forgiven. <_<

Regards,

H :)

Greetings, ;)

I hear what you say & you're correct, but please don't get me going on those b*****ds at the Health & Safety Exexutive!! Watched I did an 'archaelogical dig program' the other night, the volunteers were working on Roman settlement remains in N.E. England. Can someone please tell me why they were obliged to wear safety helmets when they on their hands & knees digging down a maximum 600mm.

Before someone asks, the only thing above them was the sky.

Come back common sense, all is forgiven. <_<

Regards,

H :)

comment deleted

For pity's sake, it's got nothing to do with the Health and Safety Executive.

The HSE offer general advice and guidance on matters of safety.

Each organisation make its own rules on Health and Safety matters, based on its own risk assessments.

If they decide that they want their employees to wear hard hats at work then that is what their employees must do.

Those B*****ds at the Health and Safety Executive have done more to improve your personal working conditions than you will ever realise, (unless of course you gave it a few seconds thought before sounding off about something you obviously know little about) ;)

BTW, common sense is seldom common :rolleyes:

The real reason for stupid safety practices are adverts on TV that start: "have you had an accident at work or in the street? Call Shyster and Crook, Injury Lawyers"

Employers and organisations are so paranoid about being sued that they will take steps to remove any risk, real or imagined.

This is what leads to the stupid over reaction that we all see and have to put up with. The one thing that it isn't is the Health and Safety Executive.

Edited by Newt
Removed a comment

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

those companies that do claims are clever buggers the chap was given the "wrong" ladder fair do's but its also his fault he excepted and then used the "wrong" ladder ,on his first week or so perhaps but if he's got any experience then he would say "hey mate thats the wrong ladder" if he were forced to use the wrong ladder then the company deserves all it gets but "accidents" in the main are accidental and should be treated as that.

the other advert is about some woman tripping over tie bands (done it myself) but is it the companies fault or the employee that dropped its fault or indeed the womans for not looking where she was going? you dont expect anything in life it doesnt mean you walk about without taking care of yourself

its not an open and shut case by any means, now because its so expensive to sue anyone and legal aid only for the rich theres little you personally can do trying to force a company to act under "due care" the whole systems flawed so ways will be found to make money exploiting them ,the "recipient" gets very little compared to the company thats working for them the more they drag it out the more they make ;)

the difference should be between accidental and deliberate ,if a council paving slab rode up and someone tripped then its an accident (would you do prosecute yourself if you tripped over on your own patio?) if the council knew the problem existed and didnt sort it then its deliberate and they should pay.

living life is going from one potential accident to another unless ofcourse you live in one completely empty room , you go golfing in a thunderstorm and get hit "accidentally" by lightening or do you ?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson