what is the point of a hair rig?

davedave

Im curious, i can see the principal in a hair rig, that the carp will feel the bait in its mouth before taking it and it will reject it if it feels a hook, but surely when the fish feels the bait in its lips that is enough to hook it and....voila? It just seems odd to me, im probably wrong so just wondering...? Thanks :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Im curious, i can see the principal in a hair rig, that the carp will feel the bait in its mouth before taking it and it will reject it if it feels a hook, but surely when the fish feels the bait in its lips that is enough to hook it and....voila? It just seems odd to me, im probably wrong so just wondering...? Thanks :)

I have to admit I've been wondering about that myself for years! After all, the fish still has to get the hook in its mouth....and the bait!

Hair rigged maggots make me wonder even more......a hook with some maggots on it tied to another hook?

It obviously works but, why complicate the basic system?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The hair rig was developed after fish were observed picking up free baits and leaving the one containing the hook.

The original hair rigs were tied with were human hairs (hence the name) and were set up with the bait over two inches from the hook.

Edited by ayjay

As I understand it the fish picks up the bait, feels no hook, sucks it in, then feels the hook and tries to eject it by blowing the bait out but as the hook is not in the bait but free it will catch in the bottom lip ,that is why you tie the knotless not with the hook pointing inwards and hook length coming out the front of the hook. The carp (or tench and bream but not chub) feels the hook catch and bolts and the weight of the lead makes sure the hook holds. It does not work every time hence dropped runs, but it works a lot of the time.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I think another reason for hair rigs is they almost always hook the fish in the lips and avoid deep hooking. Most deep hooking takes place when the line is too slack and the bite develops for too long before an angler strikes and with a properly set up hair rig system the fish hooks itself before the bait is taken too far down the mouth

As I understand it, the original idea was to mount the bait on a much finer line than the hook - 1lb mono or such - so that it behaved more like the freebies. Now everyone makes them with the knotless knot, the bait is on the same line as the hook. I suppose it doesn't have the weight of the hook acting on it while the hair is slack, for what it's worth.

I think the main benefit the way people use it today is in keeping the hook point clear for self-hooking rigs.

As I understand it, the original idea was to mount the bait on a much finer line than the hook - 1lb mono or such - so that it behaved more like the freebies. Now everyone makes them with the knotless knot, the bait is on the same line as the hook. I suppose it doesn't have the weight of the hook acting on it while the hair is slack, for what it's worth.

I think the main benefit the way people use it today is in keeping the hook point clear for self-hooking rigs.

Thanks for that everyone, how much difference does it actually make in the catches you get, does it mean you'll get just a couple more fish or does it really matter? Im thinking of using them but i like using simple free running ledger rigs on the quiver-tip and don't know if i can be bothered with the hassle and complication of it all. cheers

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Watch This Video to get a feel for what is actually happening under water and draw your own conclusions.

The underwater footage is American so you probably won't recognize the smaller fish in among the carp.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President