anyone braving the cold this weekend?

viney

Fished the Woodmill section of the river Itchen Yesterday,river running clear with a nice colour to it , only had one bite in 6 hours. Trouble seeing my float because of low bright sun left my sunglasses in car just made me more determined to catch on the float.If fishing just for bites is maggots a better option than bread.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, just got back after a a few hours and one thing for certain is that today was totally different than yesyerday. Found a nice little swim on a double bend with a nice deep[ eddy on the inside bank and decided to fish it just off the main flow. Managed half a dozen or so small Roach on maggot whilst feeding an undercut on the far bank with the intention of fishing into dark for a Chub but at around half past three my fingers were numb and starting to hurt so I called it a day. It was the first time that I used the 4" Stanton that I managed to aquire earlier in the year and it is a joy to use being much more comfortable to the hand than the 41/2". I can see why Tigger likes his. It was a shame having to leave as the river itself looked spot on with a good flow and a nice colour. The Aigle wellies worked well as did the sleepskin thermals. Need to sort something different out for the hands though.

Well, just got back after a a few hours and one thing for certain is that today was totally different than yesyerday. Found a nice little swim on a double bend with a nice deep[ eddy on the inside bank and decided to fish it just off the main flow. Managed half a dozen or so small Roach on maggot whilst feeding an undercut on the far bank with the intention of fishing into dark for a Chub but at around half past three my fingers were numb and starting to hurt so I called it a day. It was the first time that I used the 4" Stanton that I managed to aquire earlier in the year and it is a joy to use being much more comfortable to the hand than the 41/2". I can see why Tigger likes his. It was a shame having to leave as the river itself looked spot on with a good flow and a nice colour. The Aigle wellies worked well as did the sleepskin thermals. Need to sort something different out for the hands though.

TT, where you trotting ? If you could have layed on and put your rod in a rest then you would have been able to kept your hands warm in your pockets (just attach a starlight as it's going dark). Sounds like you did good anyhow, well done cockle :thumbs:

Well done tincatinca

I liquidised my bread and looked at the roach/pole spot I fancied only to be greeted with the river frozen.

Put my stalking gear in and found even the upper reaches with flow had major ice in margins. I decided against trying for chub as I am sure they would have dived under ice and broken me. I found one pool where it was ice free and fished for a couple of hours without a bite.

At least I enjoyed trying.

I do need to try and learn how to post pics here can anyone help.

John

I do need to try and learn how to post pics here can anyone help.

There are a few ways I think John. I opened a Photobucket account (http://photobucket.com) and upload pics to there, then I copy & paste the IMG code into any post I'm making, easy to do. Downsides are that it can take a while if Photobucket is slow and your pics will all disappear if it ever stops operating. They'll still be on your PC but not in any threads containing a Photobucket link.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

TT, where you trotting ? If you could have layed on and put your rod in a rest then you would have been able to kept your hands warm in your pockets (just attach a starlight as it's going dark). Sounds like you did good anyhow, well done cockle :thumbs:

Yes I was trotting all the time. Starlights!!!! bloody hell Ian, the quiver rod is fitted with two expensive beta lights. No I always keep my hand on the rod, I have seen too many dissapear from being left in the rests. When I first started today it was nice and still but when a bit of wind got up the chill factor was very noticeable. I think I have tried every combination of gloves going. I have a couple of pairs of Gore wind stoppers so I am going to modify a pair and see if they are any better as I do like my hands to fairly free and most so called fishing gloves are too stiff. I had a pair of neoprene ones with me today but cannot get on with them.

as I said right at the start of this topic I would be out this weekend and true to my word I was, not to my usual Grayling river of the tees but the Ure this time. See my blog for full details and pictures...saves writing it all again ;)

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Yes I was trotting all the time. Starlights!!!! bloody hell Ian, the quiver rod is fitted with two expensive beta lights. No I always keep my hand on the rod, I have seen too many dissapear from being left in the rests. When I first started today it was nice and still but when a bit of wind got up the chill factor was very noticeable. I think I have tried every combination of gloves going. I have a couple of pairs of Gore wind stoppers so I am going to modify a pair and see if they are any better as I do like my hands to fairly free and most so called fishing gloves are too stiff. I had a pair of neoprene ones with me today but cannot get on with them.

If your trotting and want to lay on just remove the shot, put on a loop of line with a ssg or two add a bb as a stop and your back in. If it's going to dark to see the float just add a strlight or beta light via a bit of silicone and stick the rod in a rest. Paul it's much better than the quiver and a lot more sensitive and the fish don't feel any pressure like with the quiver. I always carry a swivel or two with a bit of mono and ssg's added ready to use for my ledgering/laying on. Never had a prob with the fish pulling in the rod or ewt as your line isn't so tight like when quivertipping.

When I first started today it was nice and still but when a bit of wind got up the chill factor was very noticeable. I think I have tried every combination of gloves going. I have a couple of pairs of Gore wind stoppers so I am going to modify a pair and see if they are any better as I do like my hands to fairly free and most so called fishing gloves are too stiff. I had a pair of neoprene ones with me today but cannot get on with them.

I haven't found a way yet when it's this cold TT and I've tried all sorts of gloves for trotting. I haven't found any that are good for casting, controlling the float and feeding from a pouch so I resort to 15 minutes trotting and then 15 minutes grasping pocket warmers for dear life. Doesn't help that the reel gets bloody cold too.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back