Fixed-spool reels: single or double handle?

The Diamond Geezer

Its the shimano sahara 4000 gte double handled for me every time. with a single handle it can be a bit clumsy sometimes as you wind you find a dead area (the natural bottom of your winding motion if you like)its not the mechanics at fault its just the circular movement made by the hand.Its the transfer from your hand going "down" to the hand going"up" but with the counter balance on the opposing side of the handle no more clunky movements ....hoorah!!

fat, stupid hobbit.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about it, my main objection to the double handle(apart from weight and bulk) is purely aesthetic; the designs I've seen all make the reel look "high-tech". I know this isn't important to some people but for me fishing is about connecting with nature, etc etc.

OK I do use bite alarms and baitrunners, etc. but like them to be as discreet as possible. Ending now before thread starts to spiral out of control

Jim.

If it's balance you are after, why stop with a double? Quad handles would balance better without that nasty gap where there was nothing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Den's comments aside I think it is probably an issue of asthetics and sales rather than practical performance. But are reels designed for the UK market? Sometimes adapted, maybe, but uniquly designed for us? I doubt it. I would guess that they are, in the main, designed for the US market, where waggler fishing is probably unheard of. Its what we, as individuals like, and I'm still not swayed! Even though Den has got me thinking!! A Mitchell with a double handle, the mind boggles!!

I dont think it really makes any difference. I'd say my sense of touch is pretty accurate. I'd hope so after 1000's of years of evolution. I'd imagine that most other humans are fairly advanced also..lol

As long as I put my hand in the general direction of the handle and touch any part of it, I only need to make a split-second adjustment and that's it. The handle is turning.

I also have double handled reels and multipliers and I reckon I find the handle marginally quicker. I'd probably need a university and some amzing time-lapse photography to measure the difference though. I think the difference is negligable.

As for balance and wobble, I don't what anyones talking about there. Most single handled reels I've used have a bulbous moulding (a counter balance), opposite to the handle. I always assumed that was there...to balance the handle??? No?

I have 2 single-handled reels with no apparent weighting or counter balance. Neither wobble on the rod and I have no problem finding the handle either.

By the way...how many folk test a reel for wobble on the rod?? I've had a few reels with a bit of wobble. Put them on a rod and it disappears immediately. I see no problem.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

quote:

Den's comments aside I think it is probably an issue of asthetics and sales rather than practical performance.
Not so.

For me, it’s all about ease of use. If I cast a bait 130 yards and don’t hit the spot, I want to retrieve the rig fast in order to recast, and it’s *much* easier to retrieve at a *constant* high speed on a double handled reel - that’s where the balance comes in.

If you have not tried it, then give it a go – it does make a difference.

Each to their own I guess.

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Interesting :)

Score so far .... PROs 8 : EITHER WILL DO 5

Julian's right though, you've really got to try a double-handled fixed-spool reel with balanced rotor and bail-arm first .... and then make a judgement. Maybe it's the constant cast & retrieving of lure-fishing where such reels come into their own :confused:

DG

[ 24. March 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

If double handed handles are that good why do the top of the range Shimano twin power and the Shimano big pit reels have single handles?

I have a 4500 baitrunner (single handle)and a GTE6000 (double handle) for big fish work and both work as well as each other but the double handle is quicker by a fraction to grab and to disengage the freespool / engage clutch by turning the handle.

I do prefer to use my 4010GTE (double handle) for general ledgering and fishing the tip.

But, most of my fishing is with the float where I use a poweraero3000, a poweraero4000 high speed retrive and a aero supermatch4000 (depending on venue, species etc) all three having a single handle.

When float fishing I always try and hold the rod at all times, therefore my hand is not far from the reel. When legering the rod tends to be in a rest and it is easier the find the double handle.

Anyway, shimano reels are all now equipped with DYNABALANCE which is supposed to eliminate reel wobble.

Cant comment on any other brands of reels because as you can see I only use Top end of the market Shimanos for any work as in my opinion they are the smoothest and best available. BEFORE ANYONE STARTS, when I bought them I could afford them and thought to myself why compromise?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Never tried a double handle, not going to either, don't like the look of them, in fact I'm going to stick with my Mitchells, although I do prefer the slightly longer handle on the 410 to the 300.

i've got a few shimanos with twin handles and i like them, but i also use a mitchell 300 and thats feels right too, i think on a smaller reel a twin handle is over kill, but on my baitrunners and fightin' drag spinning reels, its very useful