i got a wieght issue...

dean in devon

No offer yet to do a like for like comparison between a stonze and a normal lead for tench in a clear gravel pit. If they really do make a difference I'd have thought proof from a non-sponsered sceptic would be worth a thousand plugs in articles by sponsered writers :rolleyes: As yet the only people I know who have sung their praises have been wearing a *Pallatrax hat...

ATS PM me your address and I'll gladly post those books to you.

[*other product placements are available :P ]

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offer yet to do a like for like comparison between a stonze and a normal lead for tench in a clear gravel pit. If they really do make a difference I'd have thought proof from a non-sponsered sceptic would be worth a thousand plugs in articles by sponsered writers :rolleyes: As yet the only people I know who have sung their praises have been wearing a *Pallatrax hat...

:D Over the years Ive made similar offers to many manufacturers/sellers of fishing related things........... all because I have been highly sceptical of their claims and they have insisted they are right and I am wrong................NONE have ever took up the challenge! That leads me to believe that either they credit me with no integrity at all (ie wouldn't admit if I was proved to be wrong) or in reality know they are peddling false claims and don't want to be proved as such.Simple as that.

One example was Chris Lyons of the "Moon Chart" fame (for those who don't remember he was promoting and selling "charts" which based upon the moons cycle gave the best days to catch fish.He was often to be seen on many forums telling how wonderful the chart was and how accurate his predictions (drawn from the Lunar) Cycle were.

He used to get a lot of stick about it.I was never sold on it but as I had personally noticed how Bream fishing seemed to be affected by the moon (ie crap in a full moon) I was prepared to keep an open mind.When I asked how it worked he wouldn't/couldn't tell. He also could never offer any information as to how or why the cycle would/could affect fish/fishing.Now admittedly this could of just been to "protect" his business but....

Any way I offered to let him send me a chart and I would put it up in our "office" and get all of the guides to record their/customers results over a season on it ! (we fished 6 days a week every week from March till end of October so that was quite a few rod hours!) Needless to say I never heard anymore.

As I said Ive similar tales of other companies and items of tackle etc.

PLEASE NOTE: My motivation in all cases has never been to get free tackle (I get plenty enough all ready) or to grind any personal axes against companies or individuals but allways out of 10% curiosity and 90% that the company/individual has pushed his/their product claims so hard!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Me too, I'm big enough to admit when I've made a mistake, and if something really does make a positive difference I'm not stupid enough to not use it on principle!

Or maybe it makes no difference at all?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Budgie,

We have a deal on the sponsorship front I'll get marketing to come up with a few designs, could you also consider wearing an eye patch as long as it is polorised of course :lol:

My product development team ;) have considered your request for a big cat camo ledger and suggest the following;

Source the paving flag (sorry we can't use a paving stone as someone else thought of that first) from a peg at your local fishery, that way the fish will have seen it before when previously caught and un-hooked on the bank and it won't arouse suspicion.

We’d recommend a 2 x 2 flag rather than a 3 x 2 as it is obviously more aerodynamic and will cast further, also splash less on entry.

You may need to upgrade to a 5lb test curve rod and at least 15lb braid in order to not look stupid when casting out into your swim.

You’ll also need a 3 x 3 glug pot if you want to dip the weight prior to casting (we have hundreds of those in our tackle shop) ;)

Finally if you can locate where the cat is sleeping there is a good chance you could clip up your reel to cast on top of it and possibly hit the fish thus stunning it into submission at which point you can then wade out and collect your prize.............oh and while you’re there pick up the flag because it maybe a bit difficult to retrieve :D

Remember you saw it here first <_<

Graeme (aha Jim lad)

Spot on Graeme them Fairbrass,Lockie,Nashy and Uncle Cliff geezers will be quaking in their bivvy boots mate!

BTW No probs oh the eye patch mate as long as its in Advantage Hardwoods or Realtree in fact if you could split some Pea Shingle down the middle for me to use as camo shot to weight my pike bungs I will gladly poke an eye out.

Of course the problem with field testing carried out by "company men" or reviews by sponsored writers Anderoo is that as I found out when I had my tackle manufacturing business........................................most would rave about a dog turd in a plastic bag and header card if they got it or enough of them for free!..........................and would unashamedly tell you such!

A great shame.

Of course the problem with field testing carried out by "company men" or reviews by sponsored writers Anderoo is that as I found out when I had my tackle manufacturing business........................................most would rave about a dog turd in a plastic bag and header card if they got it or enough of them for free!..........................and would unashamedly tell you such!

A great shame.

Exactly Budgie, and the products that get sent for review that really are crap simply don't end up getting reviewed at all!

I have been reading this thread over the last few weeks but have so far refrained from throwing in my pennies worth.

As a non-sponsored angler and owner of many angling hats but none from any weight manufacturer I feel I can give a balanced review of the products.

Last year while placing a largish tackle order, I found myself around £15 shy of reaching a certain spend that qualified for a free gift and so to round my order off I decided to add a few extra weights and bought some new weights that I had never used before and so ordered some Pallatrax stones and some Osprey Tactical Clear Weights.

Both of these new weights were fished along side more conventional weights for Tench in a clear water gravel pit. I caught Tench using the Osprey weights and my standard cheaper weights but very strangly I never caught a single Tench while using the Stonze. I have to admit I was stunned by this, to be fair they were only used on 3 sessions before conditions changed and the water coloured up.

I am not saying that the stonze hindered my fishing and can see no good reson why I never caught anything using them but maybe they were so well disguised that the fish just swam past my rigs with out even seeing them ;) However the Osprey clear weights still caught fish.

To be honest the failure to catch on these sessions would not put me off the product but what has was the fact that I am still a huge fan of helicopter rigs. I do like the John Roberts Helicopter rigs but do change the clips to Storm ones (much stronger) and so to use these I sometimes need to make adjustments to the swivels on weights to ensure the tubing can slide off the swivel easily to create a safe rig (The adjustment is just pinching the swivel down with some pliers) Obviously I make sure this process has not weakened the weight and swivel.

However while modifying 3 stonze, one swivel snapped, one fell out and the third worked but I had lost all faith in its strength and so never used it. So all I would say is that if you are the sort of person that likes to modify the swivel attachment ensure that you are happy with your modification before using it.

I did like the Osprey weights but like the Stonze I did not like the size needed to get a heavy weight and also the price of both is a little to much. I still use the Osprey weights and have used the stonze while Carp fishing on running ledgers. But neither product gets the thumbs up for added camo points to justify the fact that they both cost more then standard weights.

I have used a whole raft of "vogue" weights over the years and maybe be thought of as a "tackle tart" by some but I do not think these weights live up to the hype. But to try to offer a balanced view and with the "vogue" for dumping a weight every time you catch a Carp. I do think that dropping a stone per fish may have more eco-freidly credentials then a weight per fish. But then again as I like helicopter set ups, I don't dump weights and the rig rides up the line to create a safe rig and I really don't seem to suffer from lost fish in the way that those who sing the praises of lead clips do.

Maybe lead clip fans are all sponsored by weight maunufacturers ;)

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Maybe lead clip fans are all sponsored by weight maunufacturers ;)

Maybe Dales, although I've seen plenty of people using them (in completely unnecessary circumstances, but that's another story!) who are so worried about losing the lead - their only purpose - that they jam the tail rubber on so the weight can't come loose :rolleyes:

They are very ineffective hookers, you need a lot more weight than an inline lead to achieve the same effect. And with the tail rubber jammed on they are effectively 'fixed'. Again, bad advice by people more interested in selling tackle than being helpful.

(PS ATS those books are in the post.)

Edited by Anderoo

Maybe Dales, although I've seen plenty of people using them (in completely unnecessary circumstances, but that's another story!) who are so worried about losing the lead - their only purpose - that they jam the tail rubber on so the weight can't come loose :rolleyes:

They are very ineffective hookers, you need a lot more weight than an inline lead to achieve the same effect. And with the tail rubber jammed on they are effectively 'fixed'. Again, bad advice by people more interested in selling tackle than being helpful.

(

That's one of the worse things about the clip systems many do seem to use them to be seen to be using a safe system but as you point out the rubber is rammed on so tight that they would never come off. I much prefer an inline weight of heli rig.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek