What would you pay?

SpecimenSean

you ever get down to Norfolk and fancy a day on our lake then let me know!

we think its a nice place to fish, and alot of club members agree! as do the holiday makers! The farmer who owns the land has hired cottages as well, the holiday makers get to fish the lake for free if they are in the cottages...the club get the lake for a pittance because we bailiff and control it and also build all the swims/platforms etc!! its a win win!

i know they are not everyones cup of tea...but if done right and looked after corectly they can provide alot of pleasure!

yea i'd love to, Norfolk, Kent & France haha.

@watatoad, glad to be of service, have fun!

Edited by SpecimenSean

gone

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no doubt that there are lots of people who want to fish like that, just as there are those who enjoy fast food, wear sportwear when they don't participate in sport, read rubbishy tabloids etc....puttin' fish in a place like that to be hauled out and returned over and over is just torment.

the fish are already there, maybe you should spend a little more time reading and a little less time....

no, thankyou for your comments :)

gone

the fish are already there, maybe you should spend a little more time reading and a little less time....

Smart move... ;)

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Youtube Video ->Original Video

sorry couldnt resist! LOL!

???? sorry dont understand those words in that context

perhaps you are the one who isn't reading?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

maybe to you, but plenty of people like fishing easy waters.

On other days though i like sitting on a pond with minimal float gear catching fish after fish and having fun. (think match anglers, they cant get enough and you cant argue that).

That's something that often gets over looked in discusions that most people enjoy the fishing they do. It's easy to pick holes in others fishing styles/venues etc and I am as guilty as others. But if some one enjoys there fishing does it matter that it is poles apart from your own.

Good luck with what ever direction you plan to take with this project.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

[quote name='BUDGIE' date='Mar 9 2011, 07:45 PM' post='3823392']

That's a bit unfair Dean.I think its quite obvious that Sean has simply cone across an opportunity to "live the dream".Most anglers dream of having their own water (even though in reality it often turns out to be more of a nightmare!) and to me this comes across quite clearly as Sean's motivation.However "dreams" need financing and he is simply looking at the various options to do this.

Ive been involved in several types of water and can tell you all that getting the finances right is probably the number one key to having "your own water" because no matter if its a world record carp lake,an exclusive syndicate,a day ticket water or just your own private pond if you don't get the money right it will soon be some one else's water!

I didn't really want to go into masses of detail as Ive allways found its best for someone to "find their own way" After all you need to be sure in your mind what "you" want before setting out on such a venture. Sean seems to have all ready got half way there (and I personally think,without having first hand experience of the venue,made the right one) by deciding on the "friends" option.

He has also done (IMO) the right thing by getting a few books to start learning about the various aspects. I allways say that getting professional advice is a wise choice (as is Rods recommendation for getting everything drawn up legally) but in the case of a "friends" water you can skip on this a bit. The only need for either is if you plan any long term involvement or financial investment in the water.

One piece of advice Ive learned is that no matter which way you go (ie casual or long term) then make one thing clear straight away to anyone who pays to fish there- you are the boss! no committees,no one telling you what to do or anyone you have to consult over decisions! Makes life so much easier. They simply pay and fish.Even friends.

Lots of other little things about dealing with the land owner as well! but I wont go into those on an open forum.

Running fisheries/fishery management/having your own water can be "the dream" but make no mistake its bleedin hard work and a lot of grief.Often even just the "relationship" that you build up with such a water and its inhabitants actually stops you (the person who has put in all the hard work) actually wanting to fish there! But fish it or not it can be extremely rewarding.

If I can help (for free!) on any related issues Sean just PM or email me.

Lastly for Dean, you have obviously had a very narrow view of fisheries in general.I kind of guessed this from the waters you have told us about and we have seen in your reports. There are a few "good water" that are run by "good managers" that make good money and a lot more that are absolute sh1te holes that make dough (but for a limited period) but I promise you there are far easier/better "rich quick" schemes than running a fishery!.Come Summer Sean and Dean get your arse up to Kent and I will take you around a few different types of water (not only in Kent) and show you both extremes! (plus its a good excuse to go fishing!) Getting your name down for the AN Fish in at Wingham would be a good starting point.

RED: it's the truth unfortunatly budgie, he needs to be a rich boy, he would need more then being abled to pay rent/mortage, then if hes got kids or a wife (wife the most expensive in my case) :P be able to keep them going, i hope he saved at least thousands for his pond, my tank of 201cm (marine tank) cost me £4k in upkeep to run. this was ok when i had a very good job just before the finacial BS, and that was just 4k per 4 months... i don't disagree this is a great oppitunity and i don't want to knock him down but hes got to wake up a little and relise this can.. no will cost a lot of money even if hes got a lot of fish in thier hes got to keep an eye on oxygen levels space, breeding, the list goes on, even into expansion of the lake, i have been looking into this since i was in the army.

this too is my dream, but i know i need a lot of money, so once my wifes family die i can afford to run it... hahahahah harsh i know but it's the world we live in.

DARK BLUE:i agree with that a lot, if i was sean go to college and study fishery managment, my wife suggested the same thing to me and then gain experiance with a water work for free for a few months on the weekends, you'll learn how to take care and what to look for.

DARK GREEN:yes i experianced 2 bad fisherys unfortunatly, one very very understocked and has been left to die...slowly.. shame really as it could be amazing place to be.

another had a barny with a fishery owner. next time i'll smack him.. but i hae temper issues and this is niether here nor there.

but i have experiance very very nice places, like 1 staffordmoor at the moment has to be my favroite place so far untill i get my arse to travel longer distances. i am planning to get my ass to kent and surry and essex areas this year.. i hope...

Edited by dean in devon

That's something that often gets over looked in discusions that most people enjoy the fishing they do. It's easy to pick holes in others fishing styles/venues etc and I am as guilty as others. But if some one enjoys there fishing does it matter that it is poles apart from your own.

Good luck with what ever direction you plan to take with this project.

Very true Dales. I suppose (maybe not so serious now as Ive mellowed a lot!) I could be classed as both a serious and fairly traditional angler but I enjoy the odd day at venues like this as well. Some days "nice and easy" is just whats needed.

During the 45 years Ive been fishing I have had a couple of "crisis"! Ive kind of taken it too serious and in away stopped enjoying it.Been doing it simply because "its what Ive allways done"!! Each time the "cure" for me has been a return to some really basic,fun,low tech,easy fishing (by easy I don't mean just easy catching but easy in the terms of no effort. no long stay, no long stay "camping" gear, no multiple rods etc). Inevitably though a short period of this gas seen me once again returning to the "hardcore" me!

Its "pleasure" fishing in its truest form and something so many don't seem to ever experience these days!

Like I said I don't want to do it every day of the year and any serious/regular angler will soon tire of it BUT it (and therefore suitable venues) will allways have a place.

Just because a water only has carp, or is "easy" doesn't mean its "bad" or in the same class as muddy over stocked holes.Its a variety of waters that make fishing interesting. "Variety" along with "choice" are definitely the words that will (or should) allways be remembered in any discussion on the merits of different types of venue.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

but i have experiance very very nice places, like 1 staffordmoor at the moment has to be my favroite place so far untill i get my arse to travel longer distances. i am planning to get my ass to kent and surry and essex areas this year.. i hope...

Getting your name down for the AN Fish in at Wingham would be a good starting point.

If your looking to fish an "away water" you could do much worse then take Budgies advice and put your name down for the AN Fish In at Wingham. It's a stunning water and run by a very knowledgeable guy and bailiffs. Potential Big Fish, Good Company & Great Food :thumbs:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

If your looking to fish an "away water" you could do much worse then take Budgies advice and put your name down for the AN Fish In at Wingham. It's a stunning water and run by a very knowledgeable guy and bailiffs. Potential Big Fish, Good Company & Great Food :thumbs:

I'd of loved to of been at the Fish In but unfortunatley i'll be in Germany. But after looking at the Wingham, (and the price!) im tempted to cancel Germany haha.

Off to see the farmer soon! :)

gone