What would you pay?

SpecimenSean

Erm, two! I don't want to spoil your enthusiasm but this is kind of what I meant by suggesting you keep it informal and to a small number of friends. These carp have no idea what's about to hit them, and you do need to bear that in mind, in my opinion.

If you can net a load out, get them checked over and given the all-clear, and sell them on, your little lake will be very thankful. It does seem very heavily stocked.

don't know if anyone has been reading what i put but i was number one anderoo you is no3 lol

Edited by dean in devon

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be an idea to confirm the size of the lake?

An acre is iro 4000 m2 or 4800 square yards. I was told this is roughly the size of the infield of a standard athletics track which is 400m or 1/4 mile in circumference.

Its a visualisation I've used for a while now and fairly accurately.

Another point of reference is an average football pitch is nearly 2 acres, for the footballists out there lol.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I want to sort of assure people that i will be doing this properly. Im not just getting the pond then filling it with people to make money off the fish like some pimp! Im going to be doing my research and learn as much as i can. I will do a proper fish survey (i'd like to know if anything else is in there for a start!) at some point and after talking last night and am even toying with the idea of not fishing it for the first year while we get things sorted. This is a learning experience for me but im no idiot and i wont be taking things for granted. At the end of the day i want to make this work for a long time and im in no rush to ruin anything.

Keep it coming guys! :)

Edited by SpecimenSean

gone

I want to sort of assure people that i will be doing this properly. Im not just getting the pond then filling it with people to make money off the fish like some pimp! Im going to be doing my research and learn as much as i can. I will do a proper fish survey (i'd like to know if anything else is in there for a start!) at some point and after talking last night and am even toying with the idea of not fishing it for the first year while we get things sorted. This is a learning experience for me but im no idiot and i wont be taking things for granted. At the end of the day i want to make this work for a long time and im in no rush to ruin anything.

Keep it coming guys! :)

ok ok fair comment, but what are you going to do? are you going to go college and study fishery management? haha i keep mentioning it but it's 100000000000% worth it.

but what are you planning to do first? are you going to get someone to check out the lake, someone qualified too? ie errosion of the sides of the lake, i noticed ome places last year getting this checked out.

check the stock?

planting/gardening/pond gardening? ie add water features?

are you going to see what it looks like inside the pond?

make ure that the fish have sufficiant food to last the year if your not feeding? (if you are planning on feeding i would use a bucket use tuna boilies sweetcorn and hemp and just pour the food from a spod mix spoon and just pour it in me areas. fish need to feed and you will want to fatten them up..

if the lake is closed for a year you going to need to treat it like a tank/garden pond.

these must be running in your head mate, as they are for me, i have a list for when i do get my lake it will be close for 6 months and have work done to it (trees plants.. you know the natual look) then check the stock wiegh the fish see what i got, add a breeding pond.... would the farmer allow this? if so you want the muscle fish to breed, not the fattest.

bviously you cant prevent his in the main lake but most fry get eaten i suspect thats what happend to the tench fry. a you did mention it had tench.

you never know you might still have the odd one or two..

these are just a small ammount of things, are you pl;anning to add silverfish? if so they are abut 60P for about 1-2" if i remember correctly.

I hope that some of you will find this information of use:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/stati..._eng_172036.pdf

There are slightly different rules for Scotland and for Wales.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

make ure that the fish have sufficiant food to last the year if your not feeding? (if you are planning on feeding i would use a bucket use tuna boilies sweetcorn and hemp and just pour the food from a spod mix spoon and just pour it in me areas. fish need to feed and you will want to fatten them up..

if the lake is closed for a year you going to need to treat it like a tank/garden pond.

Why do they need feeding?

They seem to be doing ok at the moment, do they require extra food?

Why would you want to fatten them up?

If they do need feeding up :unsure: why would you use boilies? Imagine what the feed bill would be?

Dean you do seem to love a boilie :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Why do they need feeding?

They seem to be doing ok at the moment, do they require extra food?Why would you want to fatten them up?

If they do need feeding up :unsure: why would you use boilies? Imagine what the feed bill would be?

Dean you do seem to love a boilie :D

RED: hahah i do i must admit i do, i make my own but i did get a big batch from angling times for £20 of dynamites hahah, costs me to make about 1kg about £1 with flavouring and colouring.

BLUE: has it got over hanging trees if so what does the tree(s) produce? are there bushes? if so what do they produce?

now let say the lake is fished about once a week by an angler, and putting in the free offerings. the fih are eating off them this could be the reason they are still there. they could till be losing wieght nobody knows as it sounds like the farm don't give a shilling about it ;)

the reason i say feed the fish is this reason

yea i think so. What happened was a while ago (30 years) a club had a pond and a housing estate ended up getting built on it so they moved all the fish. they put the general course fish in other ponds around the area and all the carp and possibly the tench in this one. they fished it for a year or so and everything fizzled out.

so basically this farmers got a pond full of carp and is more than happy for someone to have a go at doing something with it

ORANGE: a explained i spend about £1 per kg of boilies i make 10mm 15mm and 20mm i use the 10mm as my free offerings and maybe one or 2 15mm free offerings too, i use a 15mm on my hooklength with a size 10 but that niether here nor there..

and do they seem ok? like i put above with the quote, it seems under fed, when i used to give advice on fish keeping a few years ago i used to say do'nt over feed.. but this sounds like they are underfed.. also how many fish are in the lake and how big is the lake exactly.. 10 fish can clear 20ft with in minutes.. specially if they have not eaten in a few days. if anyone owns a pond or a tank don't feed your fish for 3days feed them today and see how they are, yes they move quickly (don't do this on goldfish.. no point they can't move fast due to the factor of they are fancie fish) do this to groups of fish ie terta's guppys anything that lives in shoals, same goes for marine fish if you have damsels don't feed for 3 days then use bloodworm.. you will notice how fast they move, this goes for the same as a lake, thi guy should also take pics of this place for us to see, my specialty is fish. and i say use boilies as it's what i use but you don't need to use boilies as i use these as a refrence. you coulkd use dog turd and they will eat it..

What are the ingredients of your £1 per kg boilies Dean? It doesn't seem like there would be much in the way of proper fish food in it?

Almost all natural food will be living in the silt and hatching off the gravel/vegetation, rather than falling in off trees, I expect?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

What are the ingredients of your £1 per kg boilies Dean? It doesn't seem like there would be much in the way of proper fish food in it?

Almost all natural food will be living in the silt and hatching off the gravel/vegetation, rather than falling in off trees, I expect?

If it's true that it hasn't been stocked for about 30yrs, the fact that there are fish of such varied sizes, would suggest that they have flourished and bred without any artificial feeding. So why would they need it now?

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

If it's true that it hasn't been stocked for about 30yrs, the fact that there are fish of such varied sizes, would suggest that they have flourished and bred without any artificial feeding. So why would they need it now?

John.

That was my initial thoughts. It sounds like the system is coping well enough.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek