Wingham Tips

That's the major consideration, Rik. It would have to be fairly stout pole tackle to be capable of handling the Tench so something along the lines of what's used at commercials for Carp to double figures would be in order.

Well the pole I use at the moment is just that. A strong carp pole. I think it should be able to cope as I have had carp up to 13lbs on it and it managed very well. I think I will give it a go and if I feel that it is not up to the job I will move onto the rod. It is only 11 metres so I will have to be super quiet but I usually am when I need to be.

What is the tow like on the lake as I have found It can be difficult to fish a pole effectively with strong tows as the floats are so light and the rig can often end up raising in the water if not heavily shotted.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am travelling from Cambridge so assuming I get there at 10am-11am then I won't have started fishing until after the BBQ... or I haven't in previous years. Should I make an effort to get there earlier to get a few hours fishing in before the BBQ and then perhaps spod bait out based on knowledge of bites, line bites, fish showing etc?

Regarding fake corn, in my mind I know it works and I want to get used to using it so perhaps I'll try to get to a commercial and fish fake corn to get some confidence in it :-).

That's a tough one. If you're going home on Sunday then I'd try and get there as early as possible on Saturday and try and work your swim out in the morning. Alternatively you could opt to spod less feed on Saturday and then top up on Sunday if necessary.

You don't have to use the spod though, you could do equally well recasting with feeders or PVA bags.

Well the pole I use at the moment is just that. A strong carp pole. I think it should be able to cope as I have had carp up to 13lbs on it and it managed very well. I think I will give it a go and if I feel that it is not up to the job I will move onto the rod. It is only 11 metres so I will have to be super quiet but I usually am when I need to be.

What is the tow like on the lake as I have found It can be difficult to fish a pole effectively with strong tows as the floats are so light and the rig can often end up raising in the water if not heavily shotted.

It can be pretty strong, depending on the wind and where your swim is in relation to it.

That's a tough one. If you're going home on Sunday then I'd try and get there as early as possible on Saturday and try and work your swim out in the morning. Alternatively you could opt to spod less feed on Saturday and then top up on Sunday if necessary.

You don't have to use the spod though, you could do equally well recasting with feeders or PVA bags.

I will be staying until Monday so I can use saturday as a day of just casting around to see if I can find the fish, is this best? I would prefer to fish PVA bags and inline leads then feeders as I think I can get a better bolt effect.

I will be staying until Monday so I can use saturday as a day of just casting around to see if I can find the fish, is this best? I would prefer to fish PVA bags and inline leads then feeders as I think I can get a better bolt effect.

There's no hard and fast rules to be honest.

If you have time to establish whether a spot is likely to be productive on Saturday morning i.e. it's produced a take or two and you feel confident in it then there's no reason not to spod.

If you're not sure but still want to spod then you could try introducing less feed on that spot i.e. three spods instead of six.

Just avoid spodding too late in the day (I don't after 17:00, preferably earlier!) or too much too soon.

I'd suggest getting there early and getting the markering and baiting up done before the BBQ if possible. You can always have a little nap in the afternoon :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'd suggest getting there early and getting the markering and baiting up done before the BBQ if possible. You can always have a little nap in the afternoon :)

I plan to set off at around 1-2 am saturday morning so an afternoon snooze is almost a certainty for me ready for the night lol.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I plan to set off at around 1-2 am saturday morning so an afternoon snooze is almost a certainty for me ready for the night lol.

Don't worry your first eel as they sun sets will wake you up in time for some night fishing :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Is there a tackleshop local to Wingham to obtain fresh maggot? I can't get to a tackleshop during the week :(

Nearest place for maggots is a commercial, Sandwich Coarse Fishery. It's the other side of Wingham though. Can anyone help Mat?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net