Wingham Tips

They go to a good size, my PB eel was from last years Fish-In at 4-09. I have had plenty of 3lb plus ones from wingham and a few 4's.

Believe it or not I wouldnt mind catching a big eel. I have only ever caught smaller ones from the river. Biggest being about a pound and a half. I think I will stick to the plan and see what comes along. I dont mind catching a wingham record eel if I am that lucky lol.

Desperate for a large perch and tench though :fishing:

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be staying until Monday so I can use saturday as a day of just casting around to see if I can find the fish, is this best? I would prefer to fish PVA bags and inline leads then feeders as I think I can get a better bolt effect.

If it were me I would get there nice and early on Saturday and spend sometime getting to grips with the swim, baiting up, setting up the rods bivvy etc etc. That way you can go to the BBQ and then give the swim a good rest before fishing in the afternoon, and maybe have a rest yourself! On the two fishins I have attended I did this and didn't really get a bait in the water until almost dusk but it was worth it!

It really depends on how your are going to fish and the swim. Some swims you can just cast out a feeder and catch almost anywhere. Others need more preparation. Of course if you are float fishing very little prep and feeding is needed!

Rich

If it were me I would get there nice and early on Saturday and spend sometime getting to grips with the swim, baiting up, setting up the rods bivvy etc etc. That way you can go to the BBQ and then give the swim a good rest before fishing in the afternoon, and maybe have a rest yourself! On the two fishins I have attended I did this and didn't really get a bait in the water until almost dusk but it was worth it!

It really depends on how your are going to fish and the swim. Some swims you can just cast out a feeder and catch almost anywhere. Others need more preparation. Of course if you are float fishing very little prep and feeding is needed!

Rich

This is how I fished last time.... although people saying not to put bait in before I find the fish is making me worry about this approach. I guess if I am told some of the good parts of the swim to fish then it would probably be ok to do this for the first evening/night and maybe change my approach after 1 night depending on if/where I get bites.....

So confusing, I only gtet a chance to fish there once a year and not wanting to mess it up is the thing mostly in my mind :-)

Bugger!

Chris I should imagine I will be exiled to the Goldfish pond (or Carp Lake as I believe our brothers on there call it!) I refuse to fish for these creatures ;) so I will be taking the opportunity to try for one of the big eels in there.As such your more than welcome to borrow my ready set up coarse lake gear if you come.Ive got spare as well if Steve joins you.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

This is how I fished last time.... although people saying not to put bait in before I find the fish is making me worry about this approach. I guess if I am told some of the good parts of the swim to fish then it would probably be ok to do this for the first evening/night and maybe change my approach after 1 night depending on if/where I get bites.....

So confusing, I only gtet a chance to fish there once a year and not wanting to mess it up is the thing mostly in my mind :-)

I think what people are saying is that there's no need to put out loads of bait to start with, but of course you could if you wanted to. I think you need to give your first choice of spots 24hrs really to see if they do anything, and then move things around if not. It's a 3-day event, so there's actually plenty of time to swap things around :) If you're on fish you'll catch them over little or no bait, and if they're elsewhere it won't matter how much you put out. If fishing 3 spots you could of course put lots of bait on one of them and bait the others more lightly, and see what happens.?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have never actually fished a slider. It may be something that I bring along just to get a feel for it and if my swim is quite deep I may need it anyway.

Both myself and Glynn fish the slider regularly.He will most likely be very busy taking people to their swims but I will be available most of the day and can gladly show you the set up.PM me to remind me and I will let you know what you will need to bring tackle wise for the set up.

So confusing, I only get a chance to fish there once a year and not wanting to mess it up is the thing mostly in my mind :-)

Feeding after location is the most important thing at Wingham (as indeed it is at most venues!). Sometimes (for Tench) when I fish a swim there where I know where the tench will be feeding I hardly feed at all! just a few pouches of pellet.In this situation I use a large method feeder crammed with a mix that contains brown crumb,fish meal,micro pellet,corn,boilie crumb and a few hook bait samples (normally Pineapple flavored 10mm boilies). To the water I use to mix up I add both the juice from the (tinned) sweetcorn and a good helping of flavouring (Pineapple in this case).

The mix is really squeezed on hard and to be honest isn't really meant to work in the accepted "method" style but is simply a massive attractor to my hook bait that's on a 4" hook link. My reasoning is that the tench are in these areas as they are feeding hard on natural food. I don't want to really give them any more food but need to attract them away from the natural food (normally in these areas at the bottom of the bar its bloodworm in the silt) and "encourage" them to my hook bait.No need to attract them/hold them in the area as they are naturally there feeding and to much extra "anglers food" would just reduce the chances of my hook baits being taken.

Other areas are poor tench swims in regard to them naturally feeding there but good results can still be had by fishing them in a different (feed wise) way. Anderoo has covered this situation when he discussed places that fish would have to move through (pinch points) in order to travel about the lake. All the info given all ready about this situation I totally agree with.

Just piling in a bed of bait (at most times of the year) and waiting very rarely works simply (as once again already mentioned) there is enough natural food,or I should say "so much" natural food that they don't need to "go looking for it"

I wont bother offering any advice on the Bream as I'm still none the wiser my self! And despite having had 3lb+ perch I still haven't got round to intentionally targeting them and doubt I could offer any thing more helpful than has all ready been said.

Believe it or not I wouldnt mind catching a big eel.

Previous years have seen two main size ranges of eels- just below 2lb and just over 3lb. Past couple of years (but could be a bit misleading as a lot of us have been intentionally trying to avoid them by choice of hook bait and feed) it seems a lot of these bigger eels have disappeared/become not so plentiful. Gould be that a lot have upped and migrated.Ive only done the one session so far this year with "animal baits" (worm) and had no eel "problems" at all.But we will have to see.

Worm is a great hook bait at Wingham though as it appeals to all the species there. If the smaller eels don't prove to be to troublesome its the ideal way for guests (who want a tench,perch,bream or eel) to approach the fishing. Wont get you the biggest bags of any of the species (basically due to the different feeding needed) but a good chance of a specimen of any of them.

Believe it or not I wouldnt mind catching a big eel. I have only ever caught smaller ones from the river. Biggest being about a pound and a half. I think I will stick to the plan and see what comes along. I dont mind catching a wingham record eel if I am that lucky lol.

Desperate for a large perch and tench though :fishing:

Eels above 3 lb are a whole different prospect to bootlaces on rods that handle 8 or 9lb Tench well all of a sudden you start having problems getting 3 lb plus eels to the net :rolleyes:

But with one chance a year to fish Wingham it's hard to decide what to go for, do you sit out for a shot at one of the monster Bream, try for the large Tench, target the Perch. I always enjoy reading the Pre-Wingham threads around plans about species, methods and all the posts leading up to the event are part of the enjoyment even if I don't get to go. But you may find that once you set your chair up and relax and take the place in, you may struggle to get up again and cast in :D

It's well worth ordering some lobs of Steve, that will give you a chance of both Tench and Perch and if you feel so inclined a eel. You should be able to up that eel PB at Wingham.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek