Salmon on coarse baits

The Flying Tench

I was talking to someone yesterday who said he had caught 3 salmon in the Kennet this year on luncheon meat when barbel fishing. Now I read somewhere that salmon don't feed once they come into fresh water, and that everyone is puzzled why they take anglers' lures, and suspect it's an anger thing or a curiosity thing rather than a food thing. But luncheon meat is food, food, food isn't it?

Have others caught salmon on coarse baits, and do you have any theories about why they take our baits? I won't ask whether you put them back!

john clarke

John - I wonder whether these 'salmon' were in fact sea trout? A number have been showing up in the Loddon in the last couple of years and I have heard of a few from the Kennet last season. As for bait fishing for Salmon - well the largest ever (authenticated) Salmon - Georgina's 64lb fish was caught on a wobbled dace!

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I've witnessed salmon caught on ledgered maggot and breqad as well as the usual methods.

Basically they're very aggresive creatures and may go for anything which annoys them, attracts them, or just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (including my mate's springer spaniels fur...that gave the dog one hell of a shock)

I do however believe that it's purely an agressive reaction rather than feeding, as they've built up their reserves at sea.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

johnclarke:

but not, surely, to a piece of breadflake?

...but the salmon doesn't know it's breadflake,it just knows it's there and has a go at it..

As a youngster I used to watch the Salmon fishermen at Diglis, Worcester. Lots of them then were using good old lob worms, and catching.

Prawns were used as well, but I suppose thats not so much a coarse bait.