Should we have a ban on Summer Pike fishing?

Dales

Ban on Summer Piking  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should Summer Piking be banned

• Yes - Ban For Dead Baiting
    • Yes - Ban for Live Baiting Only
    • Yes - Ban for Lure Fishing
    • No
  2. 2. Who should make decisions on any Pike Season

• Venue Owner or Club etc
    • Government Agency EA etc
    • Angling Trust
    • PAC
    • Individual Angler
  3. 3. Does anyone Pike fish in the Summer?

• Yes with Dead baits
    • Yes with Lures
    • Yes with Live baits
    • No
    • Used to but no longer
    • Would like to but dont as feel pressured its wrong

Along with my son I gave it a really hard go the winter before last, tried shore, boat, fished shallow, fished deep, fished in between, tried every dead bait we are allowed (sea fish only),

I obviously fish the same waters as you do, and it annoys me every year this same old debate is trotted out, and I wonder how the views of the few who keep bringing it up would alter if they had to spend a Winter behind sea fish dead bait rods on one of the big lakes (or worse still.. Mockerkin :o ). Not been on here for a long time but You seem have made all the necessary points in your other posts by the look of it. It's not only bait restrictions. What some people don't seem to understand is that where we live the big lakes and hill tarns are really the only fishing we have coarse fishing wise, If I want to catch a chub or barbel it's a 200 mile minimum round trip to Yorkshire and that's getting too expensive fuel wise. On some lakes there might be 10 miles plus of bank and you are restricted to fishing two or three stretches of a hundred yards or so due to private ownership or nature reserves, some lakes don't allow you to launch a boat and at least one local pike water is closed to angling from October to June for some archaic bye-law or something. other huge waters restrict you to rowing only which can make them dangerous in anything but calm weather.

We do OK with lures and trolled baits at this time of year when we get the boat out but December was a write off for boat fishing due to severe gales and torrential rain. You can do OK on the bank with dead bait but lately on a couple of my local venues they just don't seem to be wanting deadbaits so to stand any good chance you need to be out in the boat. Apart from this i've not had any problems returning the fish I've been catching for the last 30 years or seen evidence that they swallow bait here any more in summer (when I tend to mostly lure fish any way) than they do in winter.

Edited by Rich_

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I obviously fish the same waters as you do, and it annoys me every year this same old debate is trotted out, and I wonder how the views of the few who keep bringing it up would alter if they had to spend a Winter behind sea fish dead bait rods on one of the big lakes (or worse still.. Mockerkin :o ). Not been on here for a long time but You seem have made all the necessary points in your other posts by the look of it. It's not only bait restrictions. What some people don't seem to understand is that where we live the big lakes and hill tarns are really the only fishing we have coarse fishing wise, If I want to catch a chub or barbel it's a 200 mile minimum round trip to Yorkshire and that's getting too expensive fuel wise. On some lakes there might be 10 miles plus of bank and you are restricted to fishing two or three stretches of a hundred yards or so due to private ownership or nature reserves, some lakes don't allow you to launch a boat and at least one local pike water is closed to angling from October to June for some archaic bye-law or something. other huge waters restrict you to rowing only which can make them dangerous in anything but calm weather.

We do OK with lures and trolled baits at this time of year when we get the boat out but December was a write off for boat fishing due to severe gales and torrential rain. You can do OK on the bank with dead bait but lately on a couple of my local venues they just don't seem to be wanting deadbaits so to stand any good chance you need to be out in the boat. Apart from this i've not had any problems returning the fish I've been catching for the last 30 years or seen evidence that they swallow bait here any more in summer (when I tend to mostly lure fish any way) than they do in winter.

Rich, Your post is very welcome. I'm glad that you and Danny have turned up in here.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Anglers wanting to impose more restrictions on angling, is something I don't understand . A national live bait ban would not affect my fishing one jot but I'd defend anyone else's right to do it elsewhere. You could also construct an argument as to why fishing for them from Christmas to March was wrong too if you wanted, but then where would we be?

The notion of a "pike season" in Winter seems to be something more associated with central & southern England from years gone by, and I doubt it had anything to do with pike welfare. Before pike angling started to become more fashionable at the end of the 70s or something, pike were considered vermin by most and many big ones were chin gaffed, killed and stuffed by those that did fish for them.

Edited by Rich_

I feel its just as irresponsible for Northern anglers to defend summer piking across the board (or really I should say "across the nation" as it is for Southern anglers to say its wrong across the board! Common sense guys its all about individual waters geographical location and therefore local weather trends and indeed fishing pressure.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I feel its just as irresponsible for Northern anglers to defend summer piking across the board (or really I should say "across the nation" as it is for Southern anglers to say its wrong across the board! Common sense guys its all about individual waters geographical location and therefore local weather trends and indeed fishing pressure.

Budgie 10/10 mate thats the most sensible post on here so far

I've kept out of this so far as I tend to with all of these similar ban summer piking topics because I feel they're loaded anyway, I summer pike always have and always will but I fish in just about the most oxygenated water in england, the Tees. It has the higheat waterfall in england along with a series of others and comes from glacial type lakes high up on the Pennines but I do draw the line at fishing for any species including barbel in times of extreme drought

Polls like this one only serve to cause division amongst anglers when there is no need for it and only serve to feed the anti's with half truths and misinformation which then gets used against us but in a much more professional and organised way than we as anglers are able to counter

The danger to angling comes from anglers and from within angling from daft polls like this and from daft comments that call for bans of this and that and more especially of bans that don't affect the original posters, get a grip boys and girls and stop feeding trolls and P^ ta and associated anti's that might just bite you on the arse when you're least expecting it

Polls like this one only serve to cause division amongst anglers when there is no need for it and only serve to feed the anti's with half truths and misinformation which then gets used against us but in a much more professional and organised way than we as anglers are able to counter

The danger to angling comes from anglers and from within angling from daft polls like this and from daft comments that call for bans of this and that and more especially of bans that don't affect the original posters, get a grip boys and girls and stop feeding trolls and P^ ta and associated anti's that might just bite you on the arse when you're least expecting it

You're dead right Brian, starting discussions like this in public is divisive and it's shooting yourself in the foot, presumably to gain some kind of perceived moral high ground, and it's like a stuck record.

You're dead right Brian, starting discussions like this in public is divisive and it's shooting yourself in the foot, presumably to gain some kind of perceived moral high ground, and it's like a stuck record.

Out of interest what are forums like this for?

My thoughts are to debate various topics including some that may be a little thorny. If anything your post could be construed as shooting angling in the foot as you obviously feel that angling has topics that should be hidden away from public view.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Exactly, well said.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Out of interest what are forums like this for?

Ideally , for discussing angling and all its methods, including thorny ones like livebaiting, or peoples angling experiences. Not as a platform to vote for further restrictions upon your own sport, that's the bit I don't understand.

There is nothing to hide away, and I have no moral issues with our angling the way it is in the UK.

Edited by Rich_

Ideally , for discussing angling and all its methods or peoples angling experiences. Not as a platform to vote for further restrictions upon your own sport, that's the bit I don't understand.

There is nothing to hide away, and I have no moral issues with our angling the way it is in the UK.

Speaking as an 'onlooker', any thread that starts with the mention of banning something, annoys me. We have too many restrictions enforced on us already, without asking for more. As to the poll, those who say "it's up to the individual" to make the choice, have IMO, got it right' as long as the decision is based on the water and the conditions at the time, and not on hearsay and tradition. Budgie mentioned common sense, and that just about sums it up for me.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John