Animal friendly weedkiller

Sportsman

They don't "gold plate" any. It's only our Town Halls and the stooges in Whitehall that do that. They do it to suit their own agendas and throw there hands up in the air and blame the EU when the get caught.

Are they not perhaps also more inclined (as a nation and as a people) to pay lip service to anything they don't fancy implementing? That Gallic shrug has to be good for something ;)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently gravelled my front garden but have a major problem with mares tail growing through it. I put a thick industrial surpresser down first then about 4 inch or even more of gravel on top, I can't belive this horrible weed has managed to grow through it all...no wonder it's lived through ice ages, it was here when the dinasaures ruled, seriously it was !

Any of you people know of a potion strong enough to kill it ? I've already used that gypsophate stuff and it's just shrugged it off. I know it's one root goes to about 5ft straight down !!

I didn't like this bit of yours much ziggy

"There are such things but unfortunatly we can't discuss them on Gardeners Corner due to it being against EC law" and "The law is ridiculous, but we have to protect the forum against any litigation."

With the greatest respect mate, that's balderdash, twaddle and BS.

Might be, but I just have to do what Admin say, i'm only a mod.

I have been thinking about this and on reflection the law is not as daft as it first seems.

I might only want to spray with vinegar but the guy down the road may well want to use something much less innocuous.

The law has to cover all eventualities.

Having said that I am not expecting a visit from the gendarmes any time soon.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sportsman,

I was reading the regulations looking for some logic. They, the regulators, go out of their way to explain the reasoning behind the ban for some household organic acids. Still, my knee jerk was "how stupid" also.

"Household Vinegar is about 3% acetic acid and 97% water (with a mixture of a small amount of few other chemicals). Acetic acid has the formula C2H4O2."

Since vinegar has no "real" definition you could be using 3X strength or 30X strength acetic acid. There's no stopping vinegar!

Tigger,

My nemesis is Yellow Sedge. Thought I had it - then found out all the work has to be done in the light of a full moon. The darn stuff is back.

Phone

Are they not perhaps also more inclined (as a nation and as a people) to pay lip service to anything they don't fancy implementing? That Gallic shrug has to be good for something ;)
No they implement EU directives to the letter. What they do not necessarily do is police them very well. For example there is a EU directive that says that cheese should not be displayed in the open air on market stalls. This is AFAIK written into French law. Every market trader who sells cheese in France ignores it and there are no market stall police going round checking to see if anyone has the odd Camembert lying around. Here we would have scores of Environmental Health stooges going round the markets trying to catch offending traders. They don't do that in France.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Having said that I am not expecting a visit from the gendarmes any time soon.
I think you can sleep tight mate,

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

what i always find strange is the stuff that's perfectly safe to ingest (food) has every ingredient listed but the stuff that can kill you hasnt ,drink a bit of garden spray and rush to the doctor and he has to waste time seeing if its harmful :rolleyes:

roundup is safe especially near watercourses or inlets that could lead to watercourses ,i use half a gallon a year at the pond

mares tails can be killed with roundup but slowly i used the injection of undiluted into the stem method ,some plants are totally immune to it and some get knocked back feel sorry for themselves and recover

when the boss had his pool dug we found a mares tail root going down to 14ft in sand

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Can I just clarify this "mare's tail" thing. Are we talking about Common Mare's Tail (Hippuris vulgaris) or Horsetail (Equisetum)? They are not the same thing.