Ashamed to be a fisherman...

chubsta

Went down to Hythe beach today to have a little sunbathe. Walking along i found about 10 Huss and dogfish that had just been thrown up on the beach to die...

They had obviously been caught on a rod and line because you could see the hook marks on a couple of the mouths, so i cannot for the life of me understand why someone would just kill something for the sake of it. Instead of just putting them back in the water, they had turned around and thrown them up the beach where they would have died slow and agonising deaths.

When i say to people i go fishing i often stress that i love fish and return everything i catch to the river or sea, and thats what most fishermen do. Right now i feel sick at what was done to the poor creatures.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chubsta.

It's a shame that these fish were caught just for the sake of catching them , with no idea of what to do with them once caught , ie , eat or put them back.

I'm not exactly in the same category as yourself , catch and release , i like to take my catch home all the time but, i will always endeavour to make use of whatever fish is caught (if it's keepable) otherwise i will put the fish back to fight another day. I've had some funny looks from skippers in the past for doing it but hey , give the fish another chance.

The man / woman or child who has done the above act is a disgrace and dosen't deserve to be called an angler. It's acts like this that could and probably do turn up in the papers as bad press for the honest concerned angler among us all.

If it is a child then , what does the future hold for fishing when this could be the norm?

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

When i say to people i go fishing i often stress that i love fish and return everything i catch to the river or sea, and thats what most fishermen do.

Its a sad sight when people leave fish they have no intention of using, but I would have stopped short of telling people most anglers return their fish, not sure quite what you base that on. :)

Hi Chubsta.

It's a shame that these fish were caught just for the sake of catching them , with no idea of what to do with them once caught , ie , eat or put them back.

I'm not exactly in the same category as yourself , catch and release , i like to take my catch home all the time but, i will always endeavour to make use of whatever fish is caught (if it's keepable) otherwise i will put the fish back to fight another day. I've had some funny looks from skippers in the past for doing it but hey , give the fish another chance.

The man / woman or child who has done the above act is a disgrace and dosen't deserve to be called an angler. It's acts like this that could and probably do turn up in the papers as bad press for the honest concerned angler among us all.

If it is a child then , what does the future hold for fishing when this could be the norm?

Well said Mr M.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

It's the same every year with the dogfish :angry: It doesn't seem to be affecting their numbers though!

A lot of it is just laziness, because preparing them to eat requires a tiny bit more effort than other fish.

Here's how to skin one

Then just cut into pieces, breadcrumb and cook like scampi.

how does a scampi cook cook <_<

even though i dislike them i return everything i catch even dogfish ,not saying i'm not nuttering naughty things under my breath though ,i even return rag if i have any left

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Went down to Hythe beach today to have a little sunbathe. Walking along i found about 10 Huss and dogfish that had just been thrown up on the beach to die...

They had obviously been caught on a rod and line because you could see the hook marks on a couple of the mouths, so i cannot for the life of me understand why someone would just kill something for the sake of it. Instead of just putting them back in the water, they had turned around and thrown them up the beach where they would have died slow and agonising deaths.

When i say to people i go fishing i often stress that i love fish and return everything i catch to the river or sea, and thats what most fishermen do. Right now i feel sick at what was done to the poor creatures.

Sounds like these are discards from a long liner if there is hook damage,Possibly a charter Crew who took them then couldnt be assed with the task of skinning them ( that angers me). you would not normaly encounter Huss on Hythe Beach its not deep enough and the ground is wrong??? or am I missing out on a good bit of fishing, plenty of Doggies (LSD'S)though, It is never good to see dead fish caused by Greed, Mate Im with you on that.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Got to agree,this sort of conduct by a minority taints all of us. Seen it myself only last week over in Luce Bay,doggies chucked up the beach well above the high water mark!!!!

I must admit that they can be a right pests at times but I always put them back

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I bet they could be good sport on a light rod.

It is a pain when you get plaguesd by 'nuisance' fish, but I can't imagine killing a fish just because I didn't like it.

I know it's annoting when you see eveidence of this, but it's up to the rest of us to carry on as we do and show that those people are a small minority and in no way representative of anglers in general. There are bad apples in all walks of life.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

hi i would just like to say that this is a disgrace and that now adays there are a lot of young anglers that dont respect the fish but just to prove a point i and my fishing friend are both 15 so we are young anglers and we both have respect for fish if i dont want to or cant eat it the fish will go back for another day

Thanks

Adam :D