Ultimate camo

Ken L

vous avez dit que vous n'étiez pas poster plus.

Donc fait beaucoup d'autres personnes et il ne les a pas empêchés

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 18 years of wearing camouflage, including times when it really mattered to be concealed, and impressing upon recruits as an instructer the importance and showing 'em how to use it properly...my pieces of camouflage kit and clothing for fishing is nil, zero, none! for never has a concept (camouflage) been so misused it has little or no application in angling, the first rule of cam is to break up the (human) shape, that suit does exactly the opposite. Disrupted pattern ('real tree' etc) on fishing tackle and on an angler serves only to show that the wearer/ user doesnt understand the concept of 'blending in'.

I put a smiley and a 'wink' icon after this post, but because I 'do' know how to blend it you can't see it.

I remember back in the early 80s I was working for an oil exploration company in Libya. We were down near the Chad border, outside Kufra oasis. Libya has invaded Chad on some pretext or other so there was a small war going on around us. We used to crewchange out of Kufra airport which also doubled as a military airbase. We were waiting on the tarmac for our transport out to the rig when a massive soviet Antonov troop transport landed bring Libyan troops back from Chad.

It disgorged hundreds of troops all in full jungle style camo battledress. Now bearing in mind that the fighting was taking place in the Sahara desert, noted for its lack of undergrowth of any kind and where there was nothing but unbroken sand I think a good piece of advice would have been "if you see a bush, shoot it, just to be on the safe side" :P

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Donc fait beaucoup d'autres personnes et il ne les a pas empêchés

Bien entendu, le garder,

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I remember back in the early 80s I was working for an oil exploration company in Libya. We were down near the Chad border, outside Kufra oasis. Libya has invaded Chad on some pretext or other so there was a small war going on around us. We used to crewchange out of Kufra airport which also doubled as a military airbase. We were waiting on the tarmac for our transport out to the rig when a massive soviet Antonov troop transport landed bring Libyan troops back from Chad.

It disgorged hundreds of troops all in full jungle style camo battledress. Now bearing in mind that the fighting was taking place in the Sahara desert, noted for its lack of undergrowth of any kind and where there was nothing but unbroken sand I think a good piece of advice would have been "if you see a bush, shoot it, just to be on the safe side" :P

Precisely, thats a good example, in the hands of amatures (or in that case poor conscripts who dressed in what they were told to), 'camo' is a double edges weapon, camable of revealing as much as concealing, proper soldiers know to change their 'cam' as they move from one area to another, i havn't seen carpers doing that. I have never seen 'any' angler properly breaking up their shape. It's afashion statement designed to project an air of fieldcraft mystique to the uninitiated..to the initiated it just looks ridiculous.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

haha , have a few dozen ordered for a work party coming up ... paintballing will never have been so easyer hahaha!

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

Precisely, thats a good example, in the hands of amatures (or in that case poor conscripts who dressed in what they were told to), 'camo' is a double edges weapon, camable of revealing as much as concealing, proper soldiers know to change their 'cam' as they move from one area to another, i havn't seen carpers doing that. I have never seen 'any' angler properly breaking up their shape. It's afashion statement designed to project an air of fieldcraft mystique to the uninitiated..to the initiated it just looks ridiculous.

Totally agree. I shake my head in dispair when I pass a camo'd up carp angler - everything from his flask to his sleeping bag inside his bivvy is camo' and yet he casts over 80 yds to the fish. :g:

The best form of camo' for close up fishing is a screen to hide any movement of the angler.

Regards, Clive

Emma two,

I though "camo", in general, broke up the periphery of ones vision. Seems I read somewhere that is why "urban" camo was black and white. Toward the edge of vision that is all one sees anyway, black and white, and camo narrowed the edge. I could be all wrong (?). I don't own any and don't believe it serves a purpose fishing. I will have to admit, I am "impressed" with the degree some will go to - to "match" everything up. Without bias it is pretty cool IMO. (For an extra $3000 you can get your new $50,000 pickup truck and $35,000 boat in Realtree camo. The wait list is six weeks).

Phone

Glad to hear that the "camo" pattern doesn't really work.

If it did, finding the gimp would be almost impossible......

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Only use the ghillie suit for paintball or airsoft, could be interesting trying to cast with footlong burlap strips flapping in the breeze! Matey uses his morph suit for clubbing of all things...

Have I mentioned how satisfying it is to have someone wander right past your position and shoot them point blank in the @rse?

I do have a bit of army surplus gear but mainly because its pretty tough, has big pockets and their hoods are actually big enough to shelter your face, not just cover my head. Plus it's wired which is helluva handy!

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue