How long until we run out of petrol

davedave

I hope so Newt, thanks! :)

It's stupid the pointless stuff we worry about isnt it though

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not stupid.

Not pointless.

Not a hell of a lot you can do about it though.

Therefore, worth some thought but not worth any worry.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

All,

Odd this thread should still be alive. My 21 yr old grandson gave me the EXACT answer this morning about 2am.

The question, I believe was: "how long before we run out of petrol?"

The answer, "Grandpa, I'm about 5 miles from home and run out of gas. Can you bring me some?

So, the answer, is 5 miles.

Phone

So now i'm learning to drive, and obviously very excited, but i have this horrible worry at the back of my mind that it won't be that long until petrol runs out, or gets so expensive that it's not worth digging for oil, or so expensive it's just not worth running a car anymore. How long do you think it is until we run out of oil? :unsure:

Then what, we'll all be driving automatic electric cars like dodgems.

I have a 1.2 clio and it costs about £50 - £60 to fill it up from empty, can it really be that long until it's £90 - £100?

I really want to drive and now i'm caught up with this stupid idea in my head and it's bugging me, anybody want to reassure me that it's a long time until the petrol runs out? :(

Dave

Here's an astonishing read. Important and verifiable information:

About 6 months ago, the writer was watching a news program on oil and one of the Forbes Bros. was the guest. The host said to Forbes, "I am going to ask you a direct question and I would like a direct answer; how much oil does the U.S. have in the ground?" Forbes did not miss a beat, he said, "more than all the Middle East put together."

Please read below.

The U. S. Geological Service issued a report in April 2008 that only scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big. It was a revised report (hadn't been updated since 1995) on how much oil was in this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota, western South Dakota, and extreme eastern Montana ...... check THIS out:

The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska 's Prudhoe Bay , and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion barrels. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable... at $107 a barrel, we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5...3 trillion.

"When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see their jaws hit the floor. They had no idea.." says Terry Johnson, the Montana Legislature's financial analyst..

"This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found in the past 56 years," reportsThe Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It's a formation known as the Williston Basin , but is more commonly referred to as the 'Bakken.' It stretches from Northern Montana , through North Dakota and into Canada . For years, U. S. oil exploration has been considered a dead end. Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells decades ago. However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up the Bakken's massive reserves..... and we now have access of up to 500 billion barrels. And because this is light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL!

That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 2041 years straight. And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one should - because it's from 2006!

U.. S. Oil Discovery- Largest Reserve in the World

Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. In three and a half years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this motherload of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore drilling?

They reported this stunning news: We have more oil inside our borders, than all the other proven reserves on earth.. Here are the official estimates:

- 8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia

- 18-times as much oil as Iraq

- 21-times as much oil as Kuwait

- 22-times as much oil as Iran

- 500-times as much oil as Yemen

- and it's all right here in the Western United States ..

HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this? Because the environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help America become independent of foreign oil! Again, we are letting a small group of people dictate our lives and our economy.....WHY?

James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in this very compact area than the entire Middle East -more than 2 TRILLION barrels untapped. That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in the world today, reports The Denver Post.

Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price - even with this find? Think again! It's all about the competitive marketplace, - it has to. Think OPEC just might be funding the environmentalists?

Got your attention yet? Now, while you're thinking about it, do this:

Pass this along. If you don't take a little time to do this, then you should stifle yourself the next time you complain about gas prices - by doing NOTHING, you forfeit your right to complain.

Now I just wonder what would happen in this country if every one of you sent this to every one in your address book.

By the way...this is all true. Check it out at the link below!!!

GOOGLE it, or follow this link. It will blow your mind.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911

"North Dakota and Montana have an estimated 3.0 to 4.3 billion barrels of undiscovered, technically recoverable oil in an area known as the Bakken Formation."

And there's the rub. It's there, it's real, and it could be recovered but at what cost per barrel with any method available today?

I really don't think it is some sort of OPEC funded scam preventing recovery of the Bakken oil.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Now I just wonder what would happen in this country if every one of you sent this to every one in your address book.

By the way...this is all true. Check it out at the link below!!!

GOOGLE it, or follow this link. It will blow your mind.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911

A quick look at Snopes and a wee bit of critical thinking might just blow your mind too.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

A quick look at Snopes and a wee bit of critical thinking might just blow your mind too.

There is a huge discrepancy between the massive potential resource, and the relatively small proportion of it currently recoverable, true.

But the real "critical thinking" will be directed at how to improve methods of recovery, because even a small increase in the proportion recovered translates to a huge amount of oil.

Discovery of any new source of oil (or gold, or nickel, or any other valuable mineral) always leads to hype, speculation, share scams, claim jumping, saloons, houses of ill repute, and the like - nothing new in that, it comes with the territory. But even discounting the hype, there is still a lot of oil out there.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

But the real "critical thinking" will be directed at how to improve methods of recovery, because even a small increase in the proportion recovered translates to a huge amount of oil.

And CO2 released to the atmosphere :(

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

use the Co2 to pump into the wells to force the oil out ,a sparklets lemonade machine but with a better flavour.

heavy to so it wont come back out ,it occurs naturally put it to a better use ,call it "recycling"

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

They haven't milked enough money out of oil yet to change to anyhting else.

THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES.

They have the design for the hydrogen engine. But, they will not use it.

They have had the ability to produce the Hydrogen engine since 1978.

I know because someone close to me requested a patent for a Hydrogen engine in 1978 and had it refused on the grounds it infringed an existing patent.

No one in power gives a **** about global warming, no one cares about the side effects of Oil use.

As we run out prices will rise and so there will be even more money available.

When the planet is drained and the eco system is ruined we might just see alternatives being produced in numbers sufficient.