North Western Multi Range 2.25lb T/C Blank

Rob Ward

I have a pair of the original Daiwa Powermesh carp rods (11ft, 2 1/4lb tc) and they are really lovely rods - but they are quite soft with a through action. I used them for my first season at Wingham but found accurate casting very difficult, especially in a strong cross-wind, and got the Drennan tench & bream rods to use instead. Despite being a lower tc (1 3/4) they have a much stiffer action and cast further and with a lot more accuracy.

However, the Powermesh rods do have decent power and I expect would be good for launching method balls, as long as you didn't want to reach the horizon. I love mine and am always looking for an excuse to use them :)

PS what effect does the addition/inclusion of kevlar have on a rod?

It's not as popular as it was but it was mostly used as a wrap to add strength to slim carbon blanks, advances in carbon have rendered it more or less obsolete now.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not as popular as it was but it was mostly used as a wrap to add strength to slim carbon blanks, advances in carbon have rendered it more or less obsolete now.

Cheers Rob. Does it usually make the blank stiffer? Or can you still get through action carbon blanks with a kevlar wrap?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Tigger,

That makes more sense than anything. I couldn't figure why Harrison would be making direct referrence comparisons to their product(s) and North Western.

I'll just read along. Interesting thread anyway. Complications of "terms" keeps all anglers in turmoil and confusion. I just have to "feel" a rod and mentally or physically apply it to the job intended. One reason I have never been a fan of custom rods. They never "feel" worth the money.

Phone

Cheers Rob. Does it usually make the blank stiffer? Or can you still get through action carbon blanks with a kevlar wrap?

I'm no expert but I believe it depends on how the blank is wrapped, the existing pair of Kevlites I've got for instance bend like a Croquet hoop hence them being useless for casting method balls any distance.

Rob,

Have you ever had a look as Steve Harrison's rod building blog? He seems to think Dyneema, Kevlar, Boron, etc, may not be a 'benefit' or at least a repeatable benefit.

I like and respect Harrison, fine equipment, and I don't believe everything he says is simply "marketing".

Phone

Hi Phone, yes I have.

Rod Building much like everything else has undoubtedly moved on since North Western went out of business but their blanks are still much sought after which speaks volumes.

Much like some people still enjoy using split cane!

Tigger,

I have no business commenting really. I used a couple different Harrison rods for about 6 or 7 hours on a couple occasions. Caught maybe a dozen carp total. In addition, I am not familiar with European design rods in the first place. They all "feel" funny to me anyway. Overall, I've not had more than a dozen session with Euro rods. As you would expect, I like what I was brought up on better. A long, LONG carp rod is 9 feet. What do I know?

Phone

Have a look at the Daiwa Twilight 2.25 lb Barbel rods Rob - might suit what you are after. They do them in 2 and 4 piece options. Great slim blank and very well finished. Billy Clarke's had them on offer last time I looked.

Where's the 'ANY' key?