Would you transport livebaits?

markward

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

DG

instead of just commenting on my remarks how about coming out of the closet and making your views known as well?

Budgie, et al

Personally I don't feel the need to live-bait (any more) these days as my fave and non-contentious method, Sink & Draw, seems to have produced, and continues to do so, thankfully & hopefully, plenty of decent-sized pike for me.

I also dead-bait a fair bit, and turn my hand to lure-fishing when I just want to catch fish, unquote.

I am as certain as anyone can be in this sport, that I would have had more 20s and 30s if I had live-baited for years ..... it's just such a caper compared with some deads or lures. OK?

But also personally, I would never encourage someone to do something that either (a) I wouldn't do myself or (B) that was illegal, however sensible and discreet they might try to be.

Some big-pike anglers like to target known big pike on known venues and to use live-bait from the venues and that's fine by me, and I'm even envious because I am pretty certain that they will always out-fish me on numbers and size, but so be it. Many of them though, don't have my tally of 20s or 30s (don't ask), though many like Nev Fickling have caught more 20s than anyone else in history. Whatever you think of the guy and his methods and stunts, that's a superb achievement ... so was/is Derek Amies' 40s! I've got to admit that I prefer catching big pike to small ones, but don't feel the need to use live-baits to do it ... old age, perhaps.

And I'm not alone .. on this Forum, look at Peter W's tally of 20s and 30s! Most impressive ... and he's posted his views.

I'd like to pose a final question though "Why live-bait?" if you only want to catch fish, when you can do that by three other less contentious methods?

THE END

[ 10. November 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great shame you have now said END as this is the first post on subject! I agree with you that sink and draw is a great method I use it a lot myself and often reccomend it.I cant agree with the theory that you would have caught more big fish if you had used lives.Lives aint no magical answer to catching bigger pike,just another method.I do think they tend to catch greater numbers than static deads though. All that "caper" yes DG I really believe that is why most pikers who dont use lives dont!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

DG you added on to your post after I had answered.

I use all methods for my Piking choosing which I use to meet conditions and waters fished.On most I use both deads and lives at the same time when bait fishing.On some I use mainly lives as the deads are very slow and on a few,mainly trout res's(only if allowed I hasten to add) only lives.I could take you to some of these waters where you will simply not catch on deads.If I cannot use lives on these waters then I am quite happy to use wobbled deads or lures.I dont think this is a catch at any cost attitude just good angling to choose the apropriate (legal) method.I also actually like live baiting and find it an exciting method!It is only controversial if you allow it to become that.I also promise for the last time "Be Sensible and discreet" It has dawned on me that the "discreet" part of this may have been misconstrued as being in reference to breaking the law.It was meant in reference to the use of livebaits on the bank in general.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hey D.G., don't use me to further your arguement mate. Your comment about my tally is complimentary and appreciated, but it holds little water.

I hope my previous comments will not be seen as supporting the inference that since lures and deads are so effective there is therefore no need to livebait. Because I emphatically deny that.

I am happy to catch what I catch and by what methods that I choose to use. I am also content to accept that were I to use livebaits that I might catch more. I have only myself to please, what I catch is complimentary to my pleasure in the act of angling.

That I have succeeded more than many is not because I predominately lure fish, it is because I live beside the river and can fish within minutes of waking up, I live within 45 minutes of any part of the Broads that I wish to fish (effectively the best piking in England), I am semi retired meaning that I have time to fish and am able to fish when fish are most likely to be caught, it means that I have over forty years piking experience to draw upon, I know my local waters like the back of my hand, I am extremely lucky!!

No, I don't livebait, I am uncomfortable with it. But I support the right of those who wish to do it.

Cranfield:

Scott, I thought we were talking about the "laws" of fishing.

I,m sure I have broken the speed limit, when driving my car, but I,m not sure what that has to do with anything.

The point I was making was that you were pointing out that you wouldnt dare break any fishing laws but your quite happy to break other laws. When you run over someone at 40mph in a 30mph zone, just make sure you dont have a bucket of Roach in the boot, or you'll be in serious trouble.

As has been pointed out by several people that there has never been a single case of any anglers moving fish for bait to another water that has caused disease in the water they have been moved to, so whats the problem?

When ever live baiting is mentioned there are always 3 groups appear:

1, the people that actually do it.

2, The people that dont, but will fight for other people to have the right to do it

and 3, the rest, they are dead against it in any form.

For group 3 I will say what has been said many times, when it becomes unacceptable to stick hooks in live fish to cast it out, it wont be long before sticking hooks in a fish to bring it in is also unacceptable.

As for the comments on some versions of this subject about the attitudes of the people on the P+P forum, theres a fair few here that are full of it as well.

Scott.

Scott you are making the mistake of supposition.

I said, "I,m sure I have broken the speed limit, when driving my car".

I didn,t mention being "quite happy" about it.

"When you run over someone at 40 mph in a 30 mph zone".

Who said I drive 40 mph in 30 mph zones ? I didn,t.

I have never run over anybody and will continue to make every effort not to.

My dig at "stroke pullers", among the pike and carp angling "names", is because I think they send the wrong message out, to non anglers and new anglers.

Bragging about breaking rules and laws is not clever.

I have never felt the need to use livebaits for pike.

But, I petioned the EA and my MP about the livebait ban in the Lake District.

Look up the old threads on this subject and see.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

ANYONE who transports live fish should have their nuts off :mad:

the little pond i bailiff has suddenly "aquired" lots of 2lb ish carp :mad: these little terrors cause more greif in snap offs whilst using light line for the rudd etc and its me who has to untangle the line from the trees :mad:

the pond is basically a silver fish pond so its good for father/son excursions and due to the clarity of the water light tackle is a must , we hate juniors using tackle fit for the sea and losing fish on light tackle only makes them think that heavy is best

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson