River roach rigs

Anderoo

I've found the autumn episode of A Passion for Angling on youtube now and am about to torture myself by watching Bob James fill his net with 2lbers :)

enjoy old boy, it's just as good as the very first time you saw it and it will drive you mad........

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and what do you know about roach?

are you are match fisher?

A lot more than you ever will, until you learn to read, listen, think and consider just what my suggestions would mean. When you have been a Roach angler and fishing in general for over 58 years of up to 5 times a week you may if you learn to learn. If you do you may even reach the point of knowing some of what I know, about Roach or any other species for that matter. Unfortunately there are very few of the old anglers left who are interested enough to bother to teach mouthy, lippy, ignorant fools, who have little or no patience and no real idea of river fishing, watercraft and much less of Roach fishing. Match fishing...hehehe you'll not see many match fishermen catch specimen Roach.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

A lot more than you ever will, until you learn to read, listen, think and consider just what my suggestions would mean. When you have been a Roach angler and fishing in general for over 58 years of up to 5 times a week you may if you learn to learn know some of what I know, about Roach or any other species for that matter.

can i see a picture of your best roach?

thank you very much

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

Unfortunately there are very few of the old anglers left who are interested enough to bother to teach mouthy, lippy, ignorant fools, who have little or no patience and no real idea of river fishing, watercraft and much less of Roach fishing. Match fishing...hehehe you'll not see many match fishermen catch specimen Roach.

sorry mr toad i do not mean to cause offence to you i do not know much about river fishing and only fish commercial style pools for roach and catch some nice fish but only to just over qtre kilo and they not look at good as river roach

i would not even know how to start to catch the best river roach

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

enjoy old boy, it's just as good as the very first time you saw it and it will drive you mad........

My jaw hits the floor every time I watch it, just stunning!

Next up is the winter episode and 'the king of Kennet roach'.

Well, we can dream, can't we :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Where abouts are you from/fish Azrael?

On BTW believe you me Watatoad has certainly caught some very good roach.Oh and for any other doubters I can assure you there are a couple of other members on here who have seen the pictures of them!

not meaning to bad about mr toad i have been reading some of his stotreis and he sounds like a very good fisherman and sounds like he is one of the best roach anglers

the warrens is my best place to fish and i hope to be a member one day and i have also fished at stanford carp lake. the are both near to each other but the warrens is much better and has every kind of fish you would want to catch including some very big ones

http://www.thewarrenfishery.co.uk/

http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/venue_guide....1&venueid=8

Azree

This thread has reminded me that this time last year I was banging my head trying to catch some supposed big still water roach on an extremely un hospitable gravel pit on the coast! So.......

Stop whining Walker and least your getting bites and can work on the technicalities of hitting them ;) I would have dreamed of getting bites I couldn't hit! You river Roach anglers dont know how lucky you are! :)

I hope your present campaign bears fruit although it already seems to have peed all over my results on the pit!

Oh and as for that PFA episode,your right Ive watched it countless times and it never fails to excite me even to the extent that I sometimes do a little sex wee! :rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Oh and as for that PFA episode,your right Ive watched it countless times and it never fails to excite me even to the extent that I sometimes do a little sex wee! :rolleyes:

I've watched that episode along with all the other one's far to many times myself :rolleyes::)

Thing is, in reality the fish weren't hard to catch, Bob did nothing special. Fact was the fish where there and they where on the feed. They weren't exactly shy biting either so I reckon any average angler who fished that river at that time when there was obviously a good head of very nice roach could have filled a net.

I think i've seen photo's of that stretch (the bridge) in several books from around that era and the large roach are mentioned. A lot of people seem to think the celebrity anglers find these fish themselves but on most occassions they're told about them or even taken to the best spots.

Don't get me wrong it was and still is great to watch :D.

I wonder if the stretch is still as prolific for roach as it was...anyone know ?

I've watched that episode along with all the other one's far to many times myself :rolleyes::)

Thing is, in reality the fish weren't hard to catch, Bob did nothing special. Fact was the fish where there and they where on the feed. They weren't exactly shy biting either so I reckon any average angler who fished that river at that time when there was obviously a good head of very nice roach could have filled a net.

I think i've seen photo's of that stretch (the bridge) in several books from around that era and the large roach are mentioned. A lot of people seem to think the celebrity anglers find these fish themselves but on most occassions they're told about them or even taken to the best spots.

Don't get me wrong it was and still is great to watch :D .

I wonder if the stretch is still as prolific for roach as it was...anyone know ?

Rusty had a good Chub haul from there recently i believe but he wasn`t good enough to connect with any big river Roach :rolleyes:

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: